TipsHair Tips

Food for Hair Growth

Category Tips

Does anyone know what foods I could eat to grow my hair faster?

Ike from San Antonio

I've heard protein helps, like eating peanuts.

All it takes is to eat a bowl of beans a day not the greens, the darker beans.

The supplement Biotin is supposed to help too

My "former" experience was in health care. A good, balanced diet (plenty of protein, fruits and veggies) with going easy on the starches (breads, white potatoes) and diggin' in to the whole grains is a great start! Organic is better, but sometimes more expensive. Supplement with a daily vitamin, along with gelatin caplets on a daily basis. You will notice a difference within a few weeks (the body takes time to build up the vitamins/gelatin). Good luck!

Remember that vitamins take up to four months to correct deficiencies before you see them 'work'. Some vitamin deficiencies can contribute to weak thinning hair. Have you googled it?

Unfortunately, hair growth cannot be sped up. I read somewhere that the rate of growth and length of the final hair, is genetically determined. That is why, try as I might I cannot get my hair any longer than it has always been. You can slow down the rate of it falling OUT. If you are more careful with handling it, you might get a few more inches longer. But faster, I only wish.

The careful handling that made my hair about 2 inches longer was this: 1) When hair is wet, only comb it with a wide tooth comb. 2) Don't let it get blown around and tangled. 3) Don't expose it to lots of sunlight. 4) untangle it gently with your fingers.

The hair shaft is pure protein, if you don't eat enough, add some. Hope this helps. Londa

Also, rinse your hair in cold water. My hair grows fast but I don't do anything to make it grow, it just does. I think eating a lot of veggies and fruits helps. I eat mostly just veggies and fruits. My hair grows about 3 inches every two months. Hair is also dead cells, so are toe nails and finger nails or at least thats what I learned in my Medical class.

I agree with one of the former posters...a healthy diet is what everyone needs, and that is about the only thing you can do for hair growth. Have you noticed how anorexics lose their hair? That's lack of nutrition. They develop body hair, but that's another booklet to explain.

Any time I get a horrible haircut, you can be sure my hair will grow very slowly, and a great haircut seems to need a trim in just a few days. I know that's just the way it seems, but it's annoying.

Calcium supplements have always helped me, so foods high in calcium might help you also. Massaging the scalp improves circulation and would probably help promote hair growth. I think that a lot of it is hereditary too.

eggs help alot!

My husband has thin hair and he rubs olive oil in his scalp daily--from the front to back with his fingers at the roots. It seems it has at least stopped the loss of hair.

I heard eggs make your hair shiny and healthy because of the calcium and protein.

I heard if you use apple cider vinegar on your hair after shampoo it will make your hair shiny. I tried it and it worked for me.

I take horsetail herb - buy at good health food store - they're in capsules. Follow the directions, but I think it's 2-3 per day.

My hair was literally falling out by the handfuls because of thyroid disease and my scalp showed, but this grew my hair back. I started seeing results in about three weeks.

I take 1000mg of biotin every day.

I take a daily multi vitamin with minerals.

I don't use shampoos with sodium lauryl sulfate and buy my shampoo in the health food store which have a better selection. I use one now by Shikai - Henna Gold Highlighting Shampoo. It shines like crazy, doesn't strip the color from my hair, but some how still brings out highlights in my color treated hair. I got it at Whole Foods Market in Houston, Texas, USA for around $7.99 for 12 oz. Not cheap, but they do accept returns. www.shikai.com.

They make a conditioner: Shikai Henna Gold Highlighting Conditioner.

Some where on the Thriftyfun site is an email from a lady who cuts her hair by the farmer's almanac calendar. I will try and find it and post to you soonest.

Good luck!

Smoochie!

ok, here is the growing your hair by the almanac info:

----------

RE: Cutting hair by the almanac

Yes it does, be sure to get the old farmers Almanac by Robert Thomas, I'm in Southern California so I have the One for my location and it is on page 230, for instance in January the best time to cut hair to encourage growth is January 12, 19,or 17 February 12th 13th 19th 20 and March 10th 11th 17th 18th and so on, I have been doing this for years and it definitely works. if you cannot find the Almanac e-mail me back and I will give you all the dates

Babbie

-------------

Good luck!

If you you eat 24 pancakes for lunch your hair will grow 10 inches over night! trust me I used to be bald until I tried this.