Eye GlassesOther

Repairing Scratched Sunglass Frames

Category Eye Glasses

Does anyone know how to get scratches out of sunglass frames? Not the lenses but frames. I accidentally left them on top of my car and drove off. I'm having the lenses replaced but the frames got kind of scratched up. They are my favorite pair of sunglasses and not to mention they were expensive so I want to try to salvage them. Thanks.

Leah from Bellevuem, Washington

Plastic or metal?

Scratches in plastic, if the color is embedded in the plastic, can often be removed with Novus plastic polish. It comes in three grits; one starts with the coarse grit and progresses to the fine grit. It requires a lot of hard rubbing but the results can look wonderful.

Metal is trickier and may not be practical if it had a shiny finish. If it's metal check with a jeweler. It may be cheaper just to get new frames.

I lost a Superman Movie by leaving it on the hood of my car. The movie rental place wanted $79 to replace it! So I waited two weeks and called them back. I asked when Superman goes on sale. They said it goes on sale in 2 weeks for $19.99. So I mailed them a check two weeks later for $19.99. They were not very happy, but I save $68.01. Maybe your sun glasses will go on sale.

I would try an emory board/file. Use the coase side first,

then the finer side. I've used it before on other

plastics and it has worked.