Keeping Ants Out My Dog's Food Bowl

Does anyone know how to get rid of the small ants? We have a cat and her food dish is in on the floor. Someone suggested you draw a chalk line around the dish and the ants won't cross it and get in the food. I put a piece of wood down and the bowl on top of it and drew a chalk line on the wood. It seemed to work for awhile, but now the ants are back in her food. How else can I stop them from getting in her food? I want to use a homemade remedy that really works. Thank you.

By Linda from Brighton, MI

Yesterday there was a post here on thrifty fun about uses for used coffee grinds. One of the tips may work for your question.

I put water in a container then put the dog dish in that.

Thanks for all the answers but the question was how to get rid of ants in my cat's food bowl. I did try the one where you put water in a container and put the dish on top of it. So far, it is working.

Sweet 'n low and Nutra Sweet really worked to eliminate my ants. They apparently carry it back to the nest.

Sprinkle a circle around the bowl of talcum powder. Ants will not cross it.

If the chalk line around the bowl worked the first time, try it again. Keep re-newing the chalk line. Possibly what ever is keeping the ants away from it is drying out or disappearing is some way. It's worth a try.

I have cats and dogs. My house was built on what used to be orange groves and I was told that I would always have an ant problem. I put the food bowls inside a container of water, such as a container lid or a large tray. This works great. While I still have an ant problem, the pets don't.

I put my dogs food in a ice cream container it worked

Close of up dog food bowl with "Good Dog" design on it, surrounded by spilled kibble.
Keeping Ants Out Your Pet's Bowl
Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 20, 2010
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎉
🎄