Rag Rug Balls

I have always loved the country look in my home. It has become so popular, that people can pick up swanky catalogs and order just about anything. Or, they can be smart like us and do it themselves!

I always loved the rag rug balls that people kept in their homes. However, I thought "there is a lot of fabric there that no one will ever see". So, I wanted to have the effect without the waste. I thought about wrapping ripped strips around styrofoam balls, but they are not only spendy, but when people pick them up and give them a gentle squeeze, they are hard. So, I was at a yard sale and bought some scrap yarn for $1.00 a large bag. I went home, rolled it into different sized shapes, and with the hot glue gun on cool setting, went to work.

Start anywhere, and hot glue the end of the fabric to the yarn. Then, just start wrapping it around, gluing it to the fabric and the yarn about every 3 rounds. Do two or three layers to save fabric, and to make it so the yarn doesn't pop through. Soon, you will have custom balls that you can put in a basket or bowl. Can you tell the difference? Enjoy!

By Sandra from Salem, OR

Photo of a quilt made with tshirts.
Crafts Using Recycled Clothing
Crafts Home DecorAugust 20, 2008
A pile of yellow tennis balls.
Saving Money on Tennis Balls
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet
Round t-shirt rag rug.
Making a Rag Rug
🎉
🎄