Growing Hibiscus Trees In Tennessee

I have moved from Florida to Tennessee and found they are selling Hibiscus trees. Can I plant them here? I was told at the nursery that I bought them that they are a perennial and I wouldn't have to bring them in for winter. True or false? I live 40 miles north of Chattanooga. Thanks.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Jan from Madisonville, TN

thats true you do not have to bring them in. I live in Tenn about 2 hours from knoxville, and ours do fine. hope that helped.

It depends on the strain of Hibiscus. Ornamental ones probably would not survive the winter, while Hardy Hibiscus would. Be sure to ask which type the plant is. For instance, orange hibiscus are always ornamental. "Lord Baltimore" is one of the winter hardy types. Enjoy!

Check the tag to see the hardiness and what zones they grow in. Trees are another kind of hibiscus. I wanted one, but live in Michigan and they won't survive the winters.

I have some hibiscus plants currently in pots and would like to plant them in my yard. How would I go about doing this without harming them?

Home and Garden Gardening PlantingMay 5, 2008
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Tennessee Christmas Charities
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
Hibiscus Flower
Getting Hibiscus Flowers to Bloom
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees