Use Canned Tomatoes Instead of Spaghetti Sauce

Use diced or crushed tomatoes from a can in place of spaghetti or tomato sauce, and then add your own spices for an inexpensive, easy, and tasty sauce made to your liking. It's thicker than tomato sauce, which adds more volume and richness to your sauce. Often times, I can find a large can (28 oz) for less than a dollar. I add a little garlic, basil, onion, salt and pepper. It's done quickly and tastes delicious.

By Britt from Boston, MA

I have done this for years. It tastes more like fresh tomatoes. I love tomatoes but don't like the taste of canned sauces. Thanks for posting.

Count me in as having done this for a long time, too--it tastes tons fresher than jarred or canned run-of-the-mill sauce.

If you want something thicker, you can beef it up with a can of tomato paste; most times we just use the canned tomatoes with a little splash of red wine and some fresh basil and dried oregano simmered in there for 15 minutes or so.

Spaghetti Sauce in Terracota Pot
Spaghetti Sauce Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsOctober 23, 2009
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Hand placing basil leaves in pan of spaghettis sauce on stove
Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
Pan of spaghetti sauce with jar of chili sauce and tomatoes in front
Fixing Over Spiced Spaghetti Sauce