Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

By stephanie carloss 1

Could you help me with a theme for my mother's 80th birthday celebration?

By scarloss43 from Monroe, LA

Filter Sort

By carla 25 42 Flag

Just a thought, with this idea you could be very creative. What was going on in the world 80 years. ago that would be special to your mother; popular song, author, maybe a birthday theme for that era. I once found my mother a copy of a newspaper of the year she was born. She was thrilled. Just a thought.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lee Taylor 15 427 Flag

This isn't really a theme, but it makes a wonderful gift. Write down 80 things you love about your mom. It could be special qualities she has or the way she cooks your very favorite meal or memories of things she's done for you or memories of trips or holidays, etc. Some could be funny, but most should be from the heart. I've don't this for both my parents and my step dad and it was the best present they ever got. Don't we all want to know how we've made a difference and impacted the lives of others? 80 memories of your mom is a fabulous way to tell her you love her! (you won't be able to think of 80 in one sitting, so try doing 10 at a time until you come up with 80.)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: 80th Birthday Party Suggestions

This December my Mother will be celebrating her 80th birthday. Does anyone have any suggestions on what one could do for her birthday. She is not in good health as she is in a wheelchair. Also, I would like to make her a poem regarding her 80th birthday from me, her daughter. She is in a nursing home as of this time but may be home by December. Thanks in advance for your time regarding this matter.

Mary from Mendenhall, MS.

Answers:

RE: 80th Birthday Party Suggestions

Revert to her childhood and her favorite treats. Orientaltrading.com has lots of the oldie style small toys and candy that she would remember. Write a list of 80 blessings and Motherly gifts that she passed on to you. (Compassion for others etc.) See if you can track down any of her school mates, this will take a bit of time but would be well worth a few long distance calls. (07/31/2007)

By Amy in Indiana

RE: 80th Birthday Party Suggestions

One of the things my sister and I did for our dad's 90th birthday party: We got 90 helium balloons and had them tied in groups onto the center pieces on each table. Then at the end of the party, we all went outside, having one person from each table carry the center pieces outside with the balloons attached. Then we had our dad cut the ribbons on all the balloons and let them all go. It was quite a sight to see all those balloons in the sky. Daddy said it was the best part of his party! We also had a "picture table" where we had scattered a lot of pictures of him throughout the years for people to look through. Another table had some memorabilia from the year he was born (1911). Old coins, stamps, model cars. We found a lot of things on E-Bay that we bought that were pretty inexpensive, like some old post cards that had pictures of the little town he was from in South Dakota, etc. We just used the search mode on E-Bay. Good luck and happy birthday to your mother! (P.S. You might get a good deal from the local supermarket for the balloons, since you'll be getting 80 of them! Just be sure you call them ahead of time so they'll be ready for you!)

(07/31/2007)

By Linda in Alabama

RE: 80th Birthday Party Suggestions

Here's a poem I wrote for my mother-in-law's 80th birthday. You can use it if it will help.

Here's to a lady
Who just turned 80
And still her beauty shines through

She strives to be kind
And has a great mind
It's hard to top her, whew!

Some call her Nana
Some call her Mum
And some get to call her friend

She's always willing
She's helpful and giving
Always on hand to lend

So let's raise a toast
To the one who's the most
From her grandchildren,
Sons and their wives.

We are much richer
You can just betcha
That Anna's a part of our lives (07/31/2007)

By Sally Pifer

RE: 80th Birthday Party Suggestions

Have a reverse birthday and have her give the gifts! When we celebrated my Mom's birthdays at that age we tried to get her to remember things she enjoyed doing as a young girl. (This can be done a little bit at a time so as not to tire her) See if you can get her to remember these things before her birthday and tape record them. Then on her birthday make copies of the tape and have her give them as gifts to her family members. This is a great way to have family remember her and have her give a gift only she can give.

Also you might ask the recreational director to discover what she enjoys doing the most...and have some form of that activity. (07/31/2007)

By Jan

RE: 80th Birthday Party Suggestions

We celebrated our Mother's 80th birthday at a restaurant (in a private room), with all of her siblings, children and grandchildren. We had a corsage for her, and everyone brought gifts. It was a night she remembered for a long time. (07/31/2007)

By tedsmom

RE: 80th Birthday Party Suggestions

Our family has had LARGE family parties for both grandmas when they turn 75, 80, and 85. My best advice is to get the family together and take pictures, NOT snapshots but portraits! We had a photographer (my husband) come in with a FULL portable studio and take group family portraits of all different family combinations. We then took the proofs to grandma where everyone came back to visit her and order their pictures. Now a days you can have the photographer show you there that day if they have a laptop. The pictures from her 85th were very special as she past away within six weeks of the birthday party.

The portrait that we took of grandma with her six children we then blew up (16 X 20) and framed it for her. She got years of enjoyment out of seeing her portrait of her and her children.

The other thing that we did was take her old pictures she accumulated over the years and scanned them and made a slide show out of them for her to watch. It included music behind the pictures. We also did this but this is something we do with wedding pictures. My cousin did one that was not nearly as "nice" or professional as ours. It is up to you and how much you want to spend on her. With either of these gifts you can also let the family know that they can enjoy the gift as much as she does and have them pay for the copies therefore pay a professional to do it.

As you can tell I am all about pictures and think that people miss out too much on pictures and capturing the times on film (or computer images). We also use the slide show idea at weddings, graduations, funerals (and yes we had a photography take candids at the funeral).

Good luck with the party and celebrate! (07/31/2007)

By Nancy

RE: 80th Birthday Party Suggestions

One other thing my sister did was get one of the family- tell me about your life grandmother books and visit her and go over some of the questions with her and fill in the book. This is more for you than for her but I know of another cousin that gave the book as a gift for her to fill out. (07/31/2007)

By Nancy

RE: 80th Birthday Party Suggestions

Have birthday greetings sent to her from The White House. I did this for my parents' 50th wedding anniv. and my Dad's upcoming 80th birthday.
Here's the link: https://app1.whitehouse.gov/greetings/home.
We will rent the back room at a local restaurant for Dad's BD dinner, the same as we did for their W.A. (07/31/2007)

By Maryeileen

RE: 80th Birthday Party Suggestions

I like the ideas on photos and portraits. Videotaping the party would be nice too.

She might enjoy a low-key celebration that gives her time to talk a little to each of the guests. Or maybe 2 smaller get-togethers (one for relatives, one for her close friends) over a week's time so she can relax and enjoy the whole week. I would keep any slide show fairly short, and you can pass around photos and/or a laptop afterwards. (07/31/2007)

By Jantoo

RE: 80th Birthday Party Suggestions

I really like the idea of giving family a plain piece of material for them to write a special note to your Mom. A pen made just for material has to be used. You can scan photos and transfer these to material squares. Put these together along with the special note's material squares, and make a quilt for your Mom. This is a gift that will be especially meaningful to her. She can have a piece of her family with her at all times, in the form of a hug from the quilt! (07/31/2007)

By Karen

We are planning a 80th birthday party for my mother in December. I would love for your readers to come up with some Ideas for this celebration. She is an Eastern Star Member and we are having this event at the Masonic Temple. Any suggestions regarding the food, decorations and etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank all of you, in advance.

Mary from Mendenhall, MS

Answers:

RE: 80th Birthday Party Suggestions

We are taking dad on a cruise for his 80th birthday. So my brother gave him 80 quarters (for the slot machine) with a catchy little note attached. My sister gave dad 80 candy Kisses in a jar along with a little note. A granddaughter gave him 80 candy Hugs (dad loves candy) in a tin with a Bass fish on it, since he loves to fish, also with a little note attached. These are a few ideas that may be of some help. I really liked the idea of the 80 candy Kisses & Hugs. Very inexpensive! (01/05/2008)

By Robin

RE: 80th Birthday Party Suggestions

We have a large family and are in the process of planning a 80th birthday party in March for Mom. The theme we are choosing is 'family'. We purchased one of those revolving digital picture albums and are asking that the family email us pictures either in digital format or we will scan. We will load the album with with those pictures as a gift to leave with Mom. Then we will use them for table decorations. I plan on printing some pictures, then getting them mounted on foam board (both sides) adding a stick of different heights and add a few to each centerpiece. We also like using balloons for color. We want to serve finger foods. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Cheers (01/17/2008)

By Janeen

Archive: Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

I'd like some ideas for my Mother's 80th birthday. She was in an orphanage in Waverly, Iowa.

Deb from Spicer, MN

Feedback:

RE: Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

For Christmas I made memory jars for family members. I took a plastic jar from the dollar store and filled with slips of paper. Each paper had a memory of something I remembered from the past about them. (01/31/2008)

By Lucy H.

RE: Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

Why not make her a memory jar. Have all of her children and their spouses write down on a slips of paper detailing happy and funny memories (hopefully having at least 365 slips)and then decorate the jar with a pretty ribbon. Tell her to pull out one memory a day for a gift that will last all year. It's also a gift to her loved ones who get to recall all these wonderful memories as they are writing them down for her.

(02/01/2008)

By binkylou

RE: Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

We are planning a 90th birthday celebration for my mother in law in November. When we celebrated my parents 50th anniversary we sent letters to friends and family about 6 months in advance requesting they send a card, letter and/or poem along with a picture of themselves. We asked that they be returned at least 2 months before the actual date of party. We created a memory scrapbook for them and had it there for their celebration. Since there was a request for no gifts this was a great gift that all could participate in and was almost no cost to the guest. It was a great success.

<p.We sent reminder invitations to the celebration about 2 months prior to the event. We plan to do the same thing for my mother in law. We will be serving finger foods with a dessert bar, including a chocolate fountain, punch spiced tea and coffee. We plan to bring in two wing back chairs with a small table for her to sit in along with a friend to chat. There will be several round tables with chairs and 3 or 4 long banquet tables for guest to be seated.

We will be using a family and friends theme. The colors are deep blue (her favorite color) along with fall colors. Lots of color for a wonderful celebration of life, (02/22/2008)

By Stephanie

RE: Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

We are having on 80th b-day for my mom and were are making her a film of her life. We are scanning old pictures onto a disc to play on a screen. The pictures go from her birth to the birth of her great grandchildren. We are screening it in her yard which is set up like a movie theater with popcorn and candy. Hope this will help. (09/04/2008)

By Diane

RE: Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

A friend had a "Tea Party" for her mother and close friends. An assortment of tea cups were used and each guest was able to take their tea cup home. Finger sandwiches and desserts were served. (12/27/2008)

By Fran

RE: Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

Purchase one of those digital pictures frames and add all kinds of photographs of the family to it. She can plug it in at home and enjoy the rotation of photographs over and over again. What a treat indeed, especially if family doesn't live close by. (01/17/2009)

By Mary

RE: Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

My mother-in-law is celebrating her 80th on October 31st. We are planning a party for her where we will play games such as "Which child is this?" (giving clues about her children as they grew up and see if she can remember which child that we are talking about) and "Name the year this happened". We will give her a well known event and a choice of 3 years that it happened in. I have also tried to purchase a newspaper that is printed the date of her birth, but now having much success. We may have a costume contest since it will be on Halloween. (02/11/2009)

By Brenda

I would like a very funny poem to read to my mother at her 80th birthday party.

By Bonter from Ontario, Canada

Feedback:

RE: Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

Could you maybe prepare a poem in a roast fashion? Write down different family members and their quirks or happenings over the years that were funny and then work it around until it rhymes. Use a word processing software to list then you can work on the organization. I did google this for you and did not really find any funny poems they were all mushy mushy love stuff. (07/16/2009)

By notwrong

RE: Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

One thing we did for my grandmother's 85th birthday was to make a scrapbook. We got the book and had each person in the family contribute things for the book that we'd later give to grandma. Some of the kids painted or colored pictures, different ones submitted photos. We added things like ribbon border, charms and other things grandma would like. She really enjoyed getting the book. She said, it was the best gift she'd ever received. I'm a writer, so I included a personal poem I wrote for her. You could do the lettering in calligraphy, if you want to get real fancy, or you could use one of those silver or gold, ballpoint pens. Grandma also loved collecting recipes, so we included some of our favorites. She also loved flowers, and gardening, so we picked some flowers out of different places and dried them, then included them in the scrapbook, as well. The possibilities are endless. (07/18/2009)

By heather21230

RE: Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

This is the poem that the Red Hat Society is based on. I'm not a member, but I have a glorious red hat that was given to me on my 50th birthday and I wear it often and proudly because it's fun. So, you could find her a lovely, or ugly, red hat and some purple socks and celebrate the freedom that can come with age.

WARNING

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph

(07/19/2009)

By DiJones

80th Birthday
Ideas for 80th Birthday
Holidays and Parties Parties BirthdayOctober 6, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Mother's Day Party Ideas
80th Birthday Cake
80th Birthday Gift Ideas
daughter giving mother a gift
Thank You Speech for Mother's 80 Birthday
80th Birthday
Ideas for 80th Birthday
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 3:18:43 PM on 10.0.2.206 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings