Keeping Flies Away From the House

Flies, I hate those little pests. When I walk out my back door flies seem to be there waiting to come in. Maybe it's the air-conditioning. Is there any type preventative measure to keep them away?

By Julie

Best Answer

Someone I know hangs a zip-lock sandwich baggie full of water over their doorway. He swears that it keeps the flies out of his house and he leaves his front door open and doesn't have a screen door. I have no idea if it works or even how or why it works, but I don't see any flies in his house.

As for the flies outside of your house waiting to ambush you. I'd call a plant nursery or an exterminator and ask questions as to what's causing it to happen all of a sudden. Good luck.

Have you considered adding a screen door to your entryway, or tacking up fly paper?

We are having the same problem with outside our front door. Out of nowhere they have come to ambush us! A friend of mine told me that she used an Ortho product that you add to your hose and spray. She also said that hers was due to a plant attracting the flies. For us though, this is the first time in 8 years, same house, same plants, etc. So I was looking around for any dead critters (birds) but didn't find or smell anything. So....I'm going with either the Ortho or a flystrip or maybe a natural repellent such as mothball crystals.

Of course, that baggie of water hanging over his doorway looks stupid!

Reading the comments, I have to say, this is strange; this is the first time I have had a real problem with them, too....But I have gone to an outdoor fruit/ vegetable stand in the past, where flies are usually notorious and the man had the baggies of water hanging,and not the first fly!

The water in the plastic bag works because when he flies come towards it their image is so highly magnified they are scared off. If you don't believe me, try it!

It works the same with strings of CD's or DVD's. The reflection of the fly is so big they think it is a predator and fly off. We live in southern Spain and use the CD method and it works. A lot of the older Spanish people use the plastic bag and water idea.

The baggies with water do work well, I learned this in Arizona years ago...

House Fly
Getting Rid of House Flies
Home and Garden Pest Control FliesMay 25, 2011
House fly on a white surface.
Getting Rid of Flies at a Restaurant
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Keeping Flies Off Goats
Keeping Flies Off Goats
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
🎄