Could Blue Jay Have Attacked Cat?

My cat has a puncture wound just above her tail on her back. The Vet thinks it may be some parasite infestation, however we do have a lot of blue jays in the backyard looking for the peanuts I put out for the squirrels. Anyone sharing their thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated; and yes I stopped feeding the squirrels and blue jays.

By Sydney from Mt. Holly, NJ

I would NOT be surprised by a Jay attack. There was one that would dart at employees at the picnic table on their breaks, food or not. And, just yesterday morning I was admiring a red hawk on the phone line when a Jay came up and hounded the hawk until the hawk decided that spot wasn't worth it! They are pretty brazen!

I think so. Awful!

While it is possible, I would find it hard to believe that a bird would do that much damage. Especially to a cat. I'm sure that the cat would be moving away to defend itself. It's more likely that your vet is correct or your cat injured itself on something like a barbed wire fence, tree branch, junk automobile part, etc.

Yes it could be possible especially if the cat is near a Blue Jay nest with baby Blue Jays. Blue Jays are very aggressive.

Was mowing the grass one summer apparently too close to a blue jay nest. Thought someone hit me in the head with a rock, ended up with blood streaming down the face. Wife happened to look out the window at the time of the "attack" so we know it was a blue jay.

Hello, puncture wounds are usually caused by a cat bite. If your cat has a bite on hind end..he/she was running from the attack, if there is a wound on face/front legs the cat is usually standing and fighting. I would have your Veterinarian check the wound as a possible abscess from a bite wound.

Blue jays are notorious for attacking dogs and cats outside. I'm not saying that's what it is, but it is a possibility. I used to have some that would swoop down and try to peck my dogs. Many times they'd leave a hole.

I wish I had a way to tell you to get them to leave your cat alone, but I don't.

Good luck.

I can't help but wonder why you aren't listening to your vet? What did the vet recommend for treatment?

I saw bluejays swooping after one of my cats once. I don't know if she got too close to the nest or what, but they will go after a cat!

Pets CatsApril 16, 2010
jar of Roka Blue in cupboard
Kraft Roka Blue Spread Substitute
Man Pointing at Brake Rotor
Fixing Squeaky Brakes
Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
Growing Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
🎄
🍂