CatsPets

Could Blue Jay Have Attacked Cat?

My cat has a puncture wound just above her tail on her back. The Vet thinks it may be some parasite infestation, however we do have a lot of blue jays in the backyard looking for the peanuts I put out for the squirrels. Anyone sharing their thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated; and yes I stopped feeding the squirrels and blue jays.

By Sydney from Mt. Holly, NJ

I would NOT be surprised by a Jay attack. There was one that would dart at employees at the picnic table on their breaks, food or not. And, just yesterday morning I was admiring a red hawk on the phone line when a Jay came up and hounded the hawk until the hawk decided that spot wasn't worth it! They are pretty brazen!

I think so. Awful!

While it is possible, I would find it hard to believe that a bird would do that much damage. Especially to a cat. I'm sure that the cat would be moving away to defend itself. It's more likely that your vet is correct or your cat injured itself on something like a barbed wire fence, tree branch, junk automobile part, etc.

Yes it could be possible especially if the cat is near a Blue Jay nest with baby Blue Jays. Blue Jays are very aggressive.

Was mowing the grass one summer apparently too close to a blue jay nest. Thought someone hit me in the head with a rock, ended up with blood streaming down the face. Wife happened to look out the window at the time of the "attack" so we know it was a blue jay.

Hello, puncture wounds are usually caused by a cat bite. If your cat has a bite on hind end..he/she was running from the attack, if there is a wound on face/front legs the cat is usually standing and fighting. I would have your Veterinarian check the wound as a possible abscess from a bite wound.

Blue jays are notorious for attacking dogs and cats outside. I'm not saying that's what it is, but it is a possibility. I used to have some that would swoop down and try to peck my dogs. Many times they'd leave a hole.

I wish I had a way to tell you to get them to leave your cat alone, but I don't.

Good luck.

Anonymous

I can't help but wonder why you aren't listening to your vet? What did the vet recommend for treatment?

I saw bluejays swooping after one of my cats once. I don't know if she got too close to the nest or what, but they will go after a cat!