Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How Much Vinegar for Dogs?

Has anyone ever heard of adding vinegar to pet's water to ward off fleas? I heard this on a PBS show, but their site is down for construction.

Apparently the pets drink the vinegar water and by it coming through their pores, it keeps fleas away. There were different amounts of vinegar based on the pets' weight. Any input would be appreciated.

By mom of towers from St. Louis, MO

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Cosy [4]05/08/2009

I would never ever use vinegar for dogs water. I would never do for my dog that I wouldn't do for myself doesn't sound quenching at all and could be harmful. I hope you checked with your vet. :)

By Janet [7]05/08/2009

Dogs don't sweat the way we do - they pant. So I am not sure that the vinegar would ever reach their skin & bother the fleas. The only sweat glands dogs have are in the pads on their feet - not a flea area.
A better idea would be to wash them in a shampoo containing chrysanthemum flowers. You could add cedar chips to their bedding, spray them with a peppermint and/or rosemary solution (boil together, cool, put in a spray bottle - check an area to see if this bothers them). Many people use brewer's yeast for fleas, but many dog's are allergic to it., so be careful.

By Chris Richman [9]05/07/2009

Who has determined that white vinegar is bad to consume? It is sold as a grocery and I've been eating it for years in salad dressings, as marinades, etc. Just curious to know the facts.

By Rosa [2]05/07/2009

I have used this for a while. I used white distilled vinegar (a capful) in his water bowl. It is good for digestion. I tried cider vinegar but my dog and cat con't like that so I've given them white vinegar. They don't even notice.

By texylady05/07/2009

Also, garlic and onions are NO's No's for dogs and cats. And, I totally agree that Curezone.com is an excellent site to study this subject. Search for Apple Cider Vinegar.

By texylady05/07/2009

DO NOT USE white distilled vinegar! White vinegar should only be used for cleaning not CONSUMED...consumed by human or animal! Only use organic raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar "with the Mother"! Bragg's is the best.

I give 1 tablespoon per day on my dog's food. She has been on it for 4 years now. No fleas! I also keep a spray bottle of it by the door when we go outside, I spray her lightly all over and the fleas don't even get near her. I won't use chemicals on her!

Check out this website: http://bragg.com/healthinfo/healthypets.html Bragg's is available at Whole Foods and most health food stores.

It is great for skin allergies, bladder infections, etc.

By Cricket [201]05/07/2009

I've never heard of using vinegar for this purpose. And I can't even imagine my dogs drinking vinegar water, no matter how much it was diluted!

But I have heard a lot about using garlic to ward off fleas and ticks. Even my vets have told me about this trick. Since my dogs eat strictly dry food, and there have been days when they have just not been hungry and haven't eaten it at all, I will mix it up in a teaspoon of peanut butter, or sometimes I'll soak a Milk Bone in it. Tricks like that to get them to eat it. It has worked on mine for years now, and we live in the Southeast where the fleas and ticks are miserable!

As for amounts, I have 2 dachsunds. I use the liquid garlic and I give them each 1/4 tsp daily, increasing it in summer to 1/2 tsp daily.

By Mary [9]04/30/2009

Here is something to look at: http://www.curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=973742
I think if it's for fleas, it has to be used (diluted) topically, not internally.

By Judi [17]04/30/2009

This is a question for a veterinarian.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: How Much Vinegar for Dogs?

My name is Rebecca and I am from Pensacola, Florida. I am so glad I found this website, so much information that sounds great. My question is how often do you put the vinegar in the water for the dog for flea problems? Can you over do it and hurt the dog? How often should I do this?

RebeccaBell

RE: How Much Vinegar for Dogs?

I've read 1 teaspoon daily for dogs up to 50 lbs. (05/15/2005)

By Nicky

RE: How Much Vinegar for Dogs?

I've read that you can use up to 1 tablespoon per 1/2 gallon of water (changed daily, of course), but the thing is to start out slowly so the dog has time to get use to the taste. I've also read that if you bathe a dog in vinegar it works as well as using flea shampoo, and it doesn't harm them because it's not a poison. Putting vinegar in the drinking water is also supposed to keep the dog's urine from browning your lawn, when you use 1 tablespoon to 1/2 gallon or so of water. I can't see how it would hurt an animal, but you may want to call your vet just to be sure.
(05/16/2005)

By terdralynn

RE: How Much Vinegar for Dogs?

We have been using one teaspoon per one quart of water. (05/17/2005)

By Laine

RE: How Much Vinegar for Dogs?

You have to be careful and start slowly, 1/2 tsp per day up to 1 tsp per day after a week or so. I started out with 1 tsp per day and my poor dogs were vomiting everywhere. The vet suggested the slow start. (05/17/2005)

By Melinda

RE: How Much Vinegar for Dogs?

I personally would never give vinegar to my dogs, and if you feel you must please check with your vet to see if this even works, and if it will harm your dog. My indoor dogs are on Advantage 12 months a year, and as a result, there is no worry whatsoever when we go to the parks to run. Because the dogs are on Advantage, fleas are not in my home or on my indoor cats. Please check with the Doctor. Good Luck! (05/17/2005)

By ILuvDobes

RE: How Much Vinegar for Dogs?

I have to say, I tried this and it really made my 5 cats very ill. When they opened their eyes the corners didn't look right. They laid around and lost weight too. I used white distilled vinegar. Later I read that for people (and probably cats too ) you should only use cider vinegar. The white-distilled actually draws the proteins from your system. Must have done so to my cats. I broke down and bought Hartz, they are doing great now.

Editor's Note: Use distilled white vinegar for cleaning, apple cider vinegar as a food supplement or for cooking. (05/22/2006)

By lisa

RE: How Much Vinegar for Dogs?

Thank you all so very much! I really appreciate all the feed back. : } Kassie from Ladera Ranch, California (02/23/2009)