Saving Money On Watch Upkeep

My husband used to bring all our watches in for new batteries at the same time so all the batteries would die around the same time. Then, one day the watch repair employee changing the batteries said to pull the stem out (as if you are going to change the time) on the watches you don't wear very often. When you pull the stem out, the battery will stop drawing power. When you go to use that watch, push in the stem. For the watches you don't wear very often, you will not need new batteries for a long time. I appreciated this tip so much and thought you would, too.

Source: My local watch repair employee.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

What a great trick! Wish I'd known it years ago. :)

Thanks for that. I shall do that. I really didn't know one could stop the battery running down like this.

October 18, 2011 Flag

Over the years I've loved picking up the cheap watches in dollar stores, Big Lots, thrift stores, and such. I love the bracelets all different sizes, colors, and designs. Even if they don't work they make beautiful accessories as bracelets. I realized if I pull out the little button on side to stop (set) the watch, the battery is turned off. I still have a couple from the 70-80s still going strong.

By Peggy B. from Cortland, OH

July 13, 2010 Flag

If you are like me, you probably LOVE watches and have more than one watch for each outfit! Here are a few tips to save money on watch upkeep:

1. Pull the stems out on the watches you are not wearing. Typically a person can only wear one watch at a time, so the other 20 watches in your jewelry box can sit there NOT ticking away.

2. Purchase a cheap eyeglass repair kit simply for the tiny screwdriver. This way you can put in your own watch batteries rather than having a jeweler put the battery in for you. It is very easy; simply pop the back off the watch, using the same tool, pop out the battery, put the new battery in, and watch the watch hands go!

As an example, if you do use a jeweler to put in watch battery it is possible to pay $4-5 per battery installation. Instead, buy the batteries in pairs (they are $4.33 at Wal-Mart).

If the stems are pulled out on the watch, the watch battery can last quite awhile in the watch.

It is also a good idea to keep a good jewelry cloth handy to keep the watch nice and clean.

By using these simple tips, you will extend the life of your watch. For some of us, a watch is an investment; not just a timepiece. By keeping your investment running well, you will save money in the long run.

By Cathy from Brooksville, FL

Home and Garden Repair Other WatchesJuly 13, 2010
Wrist Watch
Cleaning a Wrist Watch
Purple and Black wrist watch
Replacing a Watch Battery
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
🎄