Reusing Plastic Snack Cups

Category Reusing
Pudding Snack Cup
Finding another use for containers that can just end up in the recycle or even refuse bin, can save you money and help our environment. This is a guide about reusing plastic snack cups.

I have started using empty yogurt cups for scoops. In the past, I had used everything from big spoons, child-size cups, and store bought ones. After they are empty, wash and dry them and use for pet food, flour, sugar, coffee - anything you need a scoop.

I have also used them for specific portions for desserts like pudding, applesauce, etc. Beats throwing them away. Oh, and you could use for starter pots for seeds!

By Mrs. Flowerpot from Shelbyville, IN

When I purchase pudding, yogurt or even jello, I save the plastic containers and wash them thoroughly with soap and water. They are the right size to either put snack such as raisins or trail mix in for kids. They are the perfect size to put paint and water in when kids want to paint. I love this because the containers are small enough for kids to hold. My daughter loves it.

By Chris from Ohio

What are some ways to recycle/reuse empty clean pudding cups? I am talking about the Hunt's Snack Pack pudding cups. I usually have 2 empty ones daily. I have thought of a few ideas to reuse a few but otherwise have just been recycling them on trash day.

Does anyone have any good uses for them?

Debbie from IL

My son was taking art classes and the art teacher used them for holding paints for the kids to dip in and to keep the paints separate!! So, we would save them for her and take them to class.

I bet using them in the sandbox would be fun!! Fill it up with sand and you have little sandcastles!!

So, maybe a daycare could use them in your area?

Thanks mobo for your great ideas. I also have 2 sister in laws that are teachers, one being a Kindergarten teacher, so perhaps I can offer to them. Sometimes I use them to hold a little bit of snack in when we travel. I also thought how they'd be fun for the kids in the bathtub to play with. They really seem to pile up tho and so most days I am just throwing in the recycling bin.

I've punched holes in the bottom and used to start seeds or for small seedlings.

Alternative uses for Pudding cups.

well if you could reseal the top and clean them out very well you could reuse for small food items like peanuts, small crackers .even refrigerater small amounts of vegetables

2-You could used them for to organizes your drawers again if you can find a way to reseal. Perhaps a cover of abit of a cereal box stapled .

In these cups you could put small nails ,Thumbtacks nuts bolts .whatever will fit,

3- I would immagine it is possible to make say Christmas tree decorations or other,with paint , and glitter .

4- How about freezing larger Ice cubes

5- Make Air freshener cups with Popurri or spices cover with seal cheesecloth .Again these cups can be decorated.

6- How about a grit dish for your parakeets. To hang the dish use abit of electrical wire around the lid to secure it to the cage. I am afraid adding a perch is too much but your birds will hang on to the sided or you could install a regular perch near it.

7- Use as a head for homemade say plastic cup clown dolls Take a large evil Styrofom cup decorate then add decorated with lid added secure the head with a piece of electrical wire add (Tie ) several lttle bells to the other end of the wire so you clown cup jiggles when if moves.

8-Perhaps you could use the plain cups for a small child to use as blocks and practice stacking

9-Perhaps with a bit of string or fishing line tied with a nut or sinker at the bottom of the cup you could use it to scare birds from your garden atleast on windy days.

10- use the cups for a catch the ball game boards using a strong cardboard an inserting the cups through cut holes ,then decorate the gameboard.

There are ideas Personally I do not like to even buy pudding cups I make my own instant pudding, but for those who do atleast you have ways to reuse those cups.

Butterscotch Instant Pudding

Is Mr. Thrifty's Favorite

Thanks for all the ideas, Mr Thrifty! I had thought I might start making some instant pudding but my son can be sort of funny about how things look or smell and if it doesn't look like what he's used to, he might not eat. What I could do is save some of those empty pudding cups, make pudding myself and put in those cups and then hopefully he wouldn't know. He takes medication for hyperactivity and it is one that I can open and sprinkle. The only way he'll take it is if it is sprinkled on chocolate pudding....no other flavor, I've tried :-(

I buy a big box of the Hunt's pudding cups at Sam's Club....there's 36 in the box and I figured it out to be .19 per cup which isn't bad and they don't need refrigeration. I send them to school with him for snack time.

I use mine to make ice cubes..

1. use to start seeds for transplanting

2. make large ice cubes-last longer

3. freeze gravies, sauces, broth, small amt veges, other left overs, etc. When solid, store in zipbag.

4. pre-set up those large vitamins and other suppliments-1 cup per day

5. jello molds

6. fill with cotton balls, q-tips, makeup sponges, etc for medicine chest, and store large package in closet

7. use as mold for bird-seed treats for bird feeding

8. refill with homemade puddings or fruitcups for at home use

9. use as popscicle molds for kiddies

*bathtub toys for kids

*I use some at home and at work to hold rubberbands, paperclips, etc

*could use near sewing machine for pins, etc

*they would be great for craft items like beads, etc

*a portable cup for your backpack or carry-on bag when traveling,in case you want a drink of water or need to take a pill

Don't buy pudding cups in the first place, then you won't be eating all those chemicals in the pudding and you won't be stuck with tons of plastic containers. Make a bowl of pudding and buy a few reusable containers to hold it.

Ways to reuse Jello and Jello pudding cups. Post your ideas below.

I reuse the little cups that jello or pudding comes in to start my seedlings. I have also used the caps off laundry detergent. Both are reuseable.

By PHYLLIS

By guest client (Guest Post)

Use them in kid's crafts for paints, etc.

By guest client (Guest Post)

I used to re-use the plastic baby food containers with lids on them and make regular jell-o or pudding and put into those cups. They had a lid on them already and were perfect snack size for kids lunches, etc. You could use the pudding/jell-o cups for the same thing if you aren't having to take them somewhere else they will spill out. If you are careful, you could wrap cling wrap over the top and wrap a rubber band around under the lip of the cup to hold it on.

By guest client (Guest Post)

Take the small yogurt cups,cut a hole in the bottom about the size of a dime.Stick them on a twig or dowel rod and place them around your plants.Put the tops back on them.Add small pieces of soap inside them.You have a temporary plant barrier that holds soap for washing your hands after gardening.Have you ever thought about cutting shapes like butterflies and stuff out of bleach jug plastic. Cut a slit in the middle of each shape and stick a stick or dowel through to use as plant markers?

By guest client (Guest Post)

Paint a face on them with patio paint, stick them on a scarecrow body for your garden.You could even adapt that decoration anywhere like making birdhouses by cutting a hole out of the mouth part.

By guest client (Guest Post)

I use them for homemade soap & candle molds.

They're re-used for pudding made at home.