Browsing: Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware

Removing Burns from Stainless Steel Pan

I have stainless steel pan that my boyfriend used to toast bread. He burned the bread and then right after poured water into hot pan. The pan now has a copper color to it on bottom, sides, and inside. There is also crusty burned black bread inside that won't come off. The pan is new and I hate that the rest of the set is so nice looking! Any ideas on how to make it shine again? Especially, the outside of it where it totally changed color.

By Jay from San Diego, CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Try this...place a dry softener sheet and very hot water in the pot and let it sit overnight. It should come right off using the dryer sheet as the scrubber. To lessen the marks on the outside dampen a rag or sponge with hot water and sprinkle baking soda on it and scour. Several applications may be necessary. The baking soda will not scratch the stainless steel and helps to shine it up with regular use.

Go to the store and buy a product called Bar Keeper's Friend. You'll find it with the cleansers at Wal-Mart. I am never without this product. Sprinkle a little into the bottom of the pan, add a little water and let it set for a few minutes. Scrub with a scrubber sponge. The pan will shine like new. This product also works on the bottom of pans to remove burned on food and burn marks. You can use it to clean glass cook tops as well. There are tons of other uses. Bar Keeper's Friend has been around since the 1800s. Your great-grandmother likely used it. Try it. You'll love it. You can visit their website to find out more.

I am with Sixcritters, I love Bar Keeper's Friend for everything!

A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesMarch 7, 2011
paint can with red paint
Painting Stainless Steel
Stainless Steel Cookware
Switching to Stainless Steel Cookware
Cleaning a stainless steel dishwasher.
Cleaning Fingerprints Off Stainless Steel
Pot with burnt residue on the left and the same pot cleaned on the right
Cleaning Burnt Sugar from a Stainless Steel Pot
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 30, 2016 at 6:16:56 AM on 10.0.1.37 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.