Satisfy Sweet Cravings With Dried Fruit

Satisfy your sweet tooth with simple candied fruit available at your grocers. Or make your own in your oven or dehydrator.

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

As strange as it sounds to some people, this works. A handful of raisens or craisens works very well for me. Personally, I am not crazy about other dried fruits. It probably is the natural sugar in the fruits.

I was recently put on a "food plan"/diet. I found that regardless of what I'm craving, or if I'm not sure what I want, I can stick to my diet and "kill" the craving by eating 2 large pimento stuffed green olives! Sometimes I will put just one in my mouth, and just hold it/suck on it for an hour or more, and I no longer crave anything. Anytime I know I want sweet, I'll do the olives (I guess the saltiness counteracts the sweet tooth).....less calories too.

I have a problem with craving sweets, almost immediately after I eat dinner. I'm 100 lbs, so a gain in weight is not a problem for me. I do know that you are not supposed to eat any sugar for at least an hour after eating protein, but the cravings are very strong. From what I understand, fruit or sugar after a meal of protein and carbs makes different enzymes in the stomach which actually cancel out the enzymes that we produce to digest the proteins and carbs. What is one to do?

I definitely agree with this. I tried this, following a suggestion from someone at my gym. I get what I call "hand and mouth disease" (just joking) when I am pre-menstrual and during my actual period and I found that snacking on dried fruit, such as dried pineapple and dried cranberries, really does help. Plus this helps me to get my daily fruit requirements in, as well.

What also helps with snacking, is to snack on nuts, such as cashews, macadamia nuts, almonds and other foods such as pepitas and sunflower seeds. The protein in the nuts and seeds ( think seeds have protein in them as well, but nuts definitely do) makes you feel more full and studies have shown that people who snack on nuts do actually lose more weight than those who don't. Obviously you cannot eat handful after handful of either dried fruit or nuts and seeds, but these foods do help to ease the sugar cravings.

I love dried fruit. My fav is dried papaya or mangoes. I love prune bits too but you sure can't eat many of those or else you will spend a lot of time in the bathroom.

I love raisins mixed with anything salty so I mix those little chex cereals mix, with a handful of raisins and that seems to satisfy me.

Food and Recipes Food Tips DietingApril 24, 2009
Dried lime cut in half.
Recipes Using Dried Limes
Dried Fruit Bark
Dried Fruit Bark Recipes
fruit salad
Fruit Salad Recipes
Small stack of nectarines against white background.
Peeling Nectarines
🎉
🎄