Getting Assistance for Food

What can I do to get help on getting some food for my family?

By anthonyray from Bossier City, LA

Call the Department of Social Services in your state, and also Catholic Charities.

Many areas have food pantries that give out food for the needy. You can check with your town hall for leads. Also churches in your area, Salvation Army and other charities.

Go to your local public health office. They have WIC programs for children under 5 and pregnant women.

Go to this link and you can navigate from there to find your local Department of Social Services office in or near Bossier City: http://www.dss.louisiana.gov/

Also, call the phone number for food bank/pantry assistance that you will find at this link: http://www.foodbanknla.org/contact.cfm?page=1

Good Luck to you and your family and God Bless!

Google The Treasure Box.

All great ideas. But please, don't wait for your post to be up and for us to reply. If nothing else, google your town and state like I did and you will have instant information.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en& ... IZLkTK3BBoWaiwOJm9ncAQAAAKoEBU_QgSCu

Good luck dear...

Look up Angel Food Ministries in your area. You pay $25 for a couple of weeks of groceries, I have done this and it is really a God send! Good Luck!

Angel Food Ministries has a great deal on food you get like 80 lbs of food for around 30.00 here is the link:\

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/ ... ;zip=&miles=20&search=Search

Hope this helps,

Tammy

Have you tried the Catholic church? They are fantastic with helping out in emergencies. Also, the local dshs/welfare office gives a box of food to the needy, and most towns have a homeless shelter and a feed the children org. helps supply them with food baskets to pass around. That is just from my small town/state. If your town is bigger, they should have several other places to look for.

The Methodist church in my town has a food pantry. Once a month eligible people can go there and get free food. I've got soup, crackers, peanut butter, jelly, cereal, coffee, hot chocolate, hamburger, hotdogs, cheese, and more. They also help out with personal needs such as shampoo, soap, toilet paper and garbage bags. Check with the churches in your town and see if there is a food pantry nearby. I think they determine your eligibility by your income and the size of your family. I hope this helps you.

I believe 211 is a national information and referral line. Local operators for your area will answer, and should be able to point you in the right direction. The St Vincent de Paul and Catholic Social Services pantries have treated my family and me very well over the years, as has my local Pentecostal church family. Salvation Army has provided not only food, but toys and books for my kids a couple of times. One particularly bad year, the Children's Services even brought us all gifts, even my then-husband and me (too bad they didn't know not to bring us knives, lol! but no worries, I resisted temptation.)Another year, our local Church of Christ "adopted" us and took us all on a shopping spree. Remember, all these organizations are taking Thanksgiving and Christmas applications NOW. God bless, I pray you find the help you need.

Better Living Charity AdviceNovember 16, 2010
Prescription Drugs
Getting Help Paying for Prescription Drugs
A man with a nail gun performing roof repairs.
Getting Financial Assistance for Roof Repairs
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
🎄
🍂