Removing Facial Hair

Category Removal
woman having facial hair removed
There are a variety of methods for having unwanted facial hair removed. This is a guide about removing facial hair.

If you have hair on your upper lip and would like to have it removed there are some frugal solutions out there. This is a guide about removing hair from my upper lip.

A woman removing hair from her upper lip.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page concerns my daughter shaving her sideburns. Young people can be very self conscience. Unwanted facial hair can be removed in a few other ways without shaving.

A pink woman's razor next to a bar of soap.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How can I get rid of hair on my face by homemade methods? But not by using bleach.

Pavani

Waxing is the best and longest way (besides laser removal). I am going to do laser but do the wax for eyebrows and upper lip. I've heard of some people using duct tape for hair removal on arms and such, but I don't think you'd want to do it on the face. Nair works, but only for surface and if the hair is dark it won't do much good because it will show when it grows out.

Try threading, which is how Indian women do it. Thread is twisted very tightly around the hair and then ripped off, like waxing. It's best to find someone who really knows how to do this

Hi, I've had tons of hair on my face & chin since I was a teenager. I'm in my 50's now & it's no picnic. The best way I've found to remove facial hair is pluck daily the BLACK hairs (I use Tweezerman tweezers & a 5X mirror under a bright light) then use an elec. shaver once or twice a week for the light hairs. I used to use "Nair" but it was very irritating. Good luck.

Get yourself a Conair, battery operated razor. It's the size of a large pen. I've been using one for four years now and I love it. The more you use it, the lighter and thinner the hair grows back in. I use it on my whole face, including eyebrows, upper lip, cheeks, and neck. It gets rid of the baby fuzz that you get as you grow older. It was recommended to me by a cancer specialist. I only have to use it about once a week. I'd never be without one now!

I was just reading an article on yahoo about hair growth...

http://fullcove  menwithhirsutism

I have PCOS as well, so I got the whole bundle. LOL..

I pluck, pluck pluck, cut them off with scissors, electra shaver after plucking, I do waxing the week between my period and ovulation. If you do it too close to when you have your period your skin can become very irritated.I know mine does.

Keep plucking and I will let you know if the tea works.

Laura

http://www.19.5  /element/506.php

I use this homemade sugar wax. Put a soft terrycloth rag over wax and press. Pull hard and quick. I use it on my face and legs.

hey

take 1 table spoon of white flour and 1 table spoon of potash alum and add 1 table spoon of rose water into it.....apply this on your face and do this daily for one month.....or get ur face waxed (hot)and then apply rose water it will close the pores and regrowth would be slower

Take one tablespoon of Turmeric powder and mix with curd. Apply this pack on your face regularly. Your hair regrowth will be slower.

i want a home suggestion, which remove all my hairs from my face in 2 months.

Has anyone ever gotten laser hair removal done? If so, how bad was the pain and how long did your hair stay gone? I have heard it really isn't permanent but I am so desperate I am willing to think about getting it done. I have hair on my chin so bad that I need to shave twice a day now. My chin is too sensitive for waxing or Nair.

Do more women than I know of have hair on their chins or am I just a freak of nature? Also, has anyone tried the prescription Vaniqua for hair removal and did it work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mindy from Washington, IN

I have gotten laser hair removal done on my bikini area and the pain pretty much feels like being snapped with rubberbands. You can also ask for a prescription cream that you can put on an hour prior to your appointment to numb the area. The best part is the treatment itself only takes 10 minutes or so and after its over the area feels fine. I have sensitive skin and i have never had any adverse reaction to the treatments. Unfortunately it isn't an instant fix. It takes anywhere from 5-10 treatments to get rid of all the hair and even then there is no guarantee some more won't sprout up. Overall my personal results outweighed whatever pain I temporarily experienced.

I come from a long line of women with hair on their chinny chin chins and as far as i know none of the prescriptions they've come out with have done anything to improve the situation. I know my grandmother tried a cream (i'm not sure its the Vaniqua you are talking about) that was supposed to slow hair growth but she said she couldn't notice a difference.

Hope this helps.

The pain will depend on how much you want it off! It is not cheep, and at the dermatology office where I work, all patients who want it must sign a paper saying they understand it might not work. My co-worker who had it done says, yes, it hurts, but she is not sobbing right afterwords, if that is any use to you.

Have you tried plucking? That should last much longer than shaving. Londa

I've performed laser hair removal many years. If the hair you are troubled with is black, or darkly pigmented, you're in luck. The ideal candidate has light skin and dark hair. The laser targets the melanin in the hair beneath the surface, so before embarking on treatment, be sure to not be plucking or waxing or removing in anyway other than shaving or trimming. Treatments will be 6-8 wks apart, with probably 5-7 treatments permanently reducing the amount of hair present. You will more than likely have some residual hair, but it will be lighter and finer in appearance. Good luck. Pain? Depends on your tolerance level, and the density and thickness of the hair, and you can have topical anesthetics applied and you should be comfortable through the procedure.

Mindy: have your doctor test you for PCOS (polysystic ovarian syndrome), this could be responsible for your facial hair, my daughter has this problem as do I and this is what the doctor told us. He gave her a prescription but I don't know what it its called, perhaps Vaniqua. Your first step should be a doctor. Hugs, Cinnamon

I have had my full legs, the top of my foot, around my bikini area, and my under arms done with laser hair removal. I agree with it feels like a quick rubber band snap. I have noticed that every once in a while a spot on my legs will itch and it is always red in the areas where I had it done for about an hour or two and sometimes for the rest of the day. So if you do it, don't go out that night.

It was expensive (I had 50% off too) and it didn't get rid of all the hair but most of it. My last treatment is Saturday and I will still have to shave afterward. My legs are the thing that I am disappointed about. I wish they could have been done better but I can't do anything about it now. You don't want to pluck or shave before your appt either. They need the hair visible and above the skin but not long. When it is long, it stings more. Just to let you know. Let us know what you decide to do. I say go for it but that's just my opinion.

If you don't fit the qualifications for laser hair removal, try electrolysis. Especially good if your hair is very fine.

I've been getting laser hair removal for a while. I too am a freak of nature and shave my chin area 2x a day. My skin tone is fair and the hair on my chin is dark brown to red brown. I have lots of peach fuzz on my face and 10-15 stray dark brown hairs in the side burn area that i just pluck. When I used to pluck my chin hairs would get a lot of ingrowns and infections (like big pimples). So i started shaving. When i decided to get laser treatment i researched on the different types of laser machines used. I decided to go with a company that just does laser hair removal and has vested dollars to back their laser research. The machine that is used on me includes laser and radio frequency. The laser has a cooling plate which is helpful. I was told that facial hair is a little harder to treat because it is a hormonal area. I have seen some lightening and thinning, and still shave twice a day.

I get my full legs treated as well. I have hair from my ankles all the way up to my bikini line, inner thigh, and back of thighs. The top of my legs were always the most painful to shave because the hair was so thick. The hair on my legs are dark blonde-brown. I was told this was a little harder to treat because of the lack of pigment. I have had wonderful results with my legs. The hair has thinned, lightened, bald patches, etc. And it's easier to shave.

Pain----i had a hard time tolerating the pain. Not at first though. I was on a lower setting (for fair skin) and the settings gradually increased. There were times when i did cry. So.....I ordered a prescription numbing cream from Canada (with out a prescription) and it has helped dramatically. They should provide you with ice packs before/after treatment and a post-laser cream. I also take herbal relaxation pills because i get anxious about the treatment. An MP3 player has helped relax as well (leg treatments with a double pass can be 2 hours!).

Vaniqua does help, but you have to use it consistently. When I stopped using the cream, the hair came back. It's not permanent and there are some hairs that just won't go away.

Nair was always so harsh on my face and i had stubble after treatment plus it clogged my pores and i ended up with pimples. I could never stomach waxing. Too painful. Plus it doesn't make sense to me to rip something off my skin once a week. Would that cause wrinkles?

If you do decide to get treatment research the different types of lasers/machines used and the companies. Do they have just one type of machine, do they have a maintenance plan with their machines, do they have their own R&D into the machines? All they need is a doctor to run the operation and hire technicians that are trained on the machines. I opted not to go to a fancy place that can also do botox and a host of other treatments.

Also, try to not pluck as this will interfere with your laser treatment by retarding hair growth and the follicle.

I know that was a lot and hope that helps!

Thanks to everybody! I think I probably will go for it sometime, I will need to come up with the money first though. I am so desperate that I am willing to try anything at this point. Lucky for me I have dark hair on my face so hopefully it will work. When I ever get it done I will report on how well it did or didn't work, but it will probably be awhile from now. Thanks again:)

Had Laser, went for all the treatments what a waste. Yes, it's uncomfortable. Have to shave (hate doing it) every day. I've even tried nair. It works but doesn't get it all, maybe I dint do it right.

Does anyone have a safe and effective treatment for hair removal for chin and upper lip hair? I use a Finish Touch razor, but it is temporary and the chin hair is stubborn to get rid of. Thank you.

By flower51

I am looking for anyone who has had electrolysis done on their face. Please specify if a disposable needle was used or if a probe was used. I am trying to find out if you feel that what you had done was successful and worth the time and money. Any feedback, positive or negative, relating to your experiences would be appreciated. Please be sure to let me know if it was by needle or probe. I have been told that laser will not work on coarse white hairs and that is part of my problem. In terms of time and cost, does anyone have any feedback on whether to have laser first on the hair that it will treat and then electrolysis on the hair that laser won't treat?

Frances from Kansas City, MO

I have used electrolysis with a disposable needle. It worked great for me. Mine was heavy to. I went twice a month for a while then once a month. The cost is a lot less than laser . If you have a very low pain tolerance recommend laser.

Nothing I couldn't stand but my daughter liked the laser.

Am very happy with my experience with electrolysis.

I had electrolysis done on my blond hair on my face. It was by probe. It was very effective for me, but I did have very fine hair. It is time consuming and you have to commit to it. I probably went once a week for two years. But that was sixteen years ago and since then I have only been for a touch up once. It is not the nicest feeling in the world, but bearable and the sessions don't really last that long. If you have hair that has been waxed, shaved or plucked previously, it will take plenty more sessions to kill the hair. But it is very effective if you're willing to dedicate the time and as for cost, well I know this is a thrifty site, but isn't it priceless to feel good about yourself?

Many years ago I had electrolysis. I went for *5* years or so and it may have done some good but I find an electric shaver the best way to go for me. My hair was course and dark. I expect that it was a probe since this was so long ago. It irritated my skin for a few days but I still continued. It did hurt. I still grew new hair and it seemed like a never ending process.

50 or 60 years ago my Mother had it done and she grew more hair. At 85 years old she was plucking them.

My adult children and I, just use an electric shaver.

Would I do it again -- NO! Was it a waste of money -- YES!

Do I think you should try it? Yes, but if you don't think it is working-----------?

did anyone ever did their eyebrow before with electrolysis and what happened to their skin after words. becasue i did my eyebrow and till now my skin is drooped down. the area was swollowed and now its drooped down. can someone please tell me if this is because of the heat and will i get better and will my eyes back normal again.

Forget electrolysis! Go to your dermatologist and have IPL done instead, unless you're a real blonde. Intensive pulselight therapy works fairly well for facial and bikini areas (I've had both done), three times each, leaving me with just a few hairs to tweeze! It also works for little wrinkles and sunspots.

Well I am currently under going treatmeant right now for my face. I have very fair skin with blonde hairs running down my jawline. My first 3 hour sesions were hell. But my sessions are down to 30 mins once a week. I am happy with my progress so far but the only down side for me was the little red bumps I had occured after each treatment that looked like pimples but went away after a few days. But you do have to be dedicated and have some type of pain tolerance because it is not pain free.

I'm a qualified beauty therapist and have had the treatment, and yes they do use a disposable needle. It does not hurt, it tingles, but the therapist asks how you feel during the treatment so don't fear it. I do treat clients who are afraid of needles but when I start the (electrolysis) treatment, they are fine.

I have had laser done twice. Once in Texas and a few years later again in Virginia. Both times it was OK for a few months but then my facial hair came in heavier and worse than ever. I tweezed and shaved for several years before I decided to finally try electrolysis. So far I am very happy with it. There have been no after effects, bumps, redness, etc. I have ruddy very oily skin and that might make a differece. I would think a fair haired person might have more problems. I feel no pain at all. Feels similar to tweezing to me. The person doing mine has had twenty years experience and became an electrologist after going through treatment herself. Wish I had done it years ago as from what I have read, it seems to be the only permanent solution!

I have a problem. I'm 18yrs old. When I was small about 2yrs, I developed asthma, so I have to drink lots of medicine. Now when I am 18yrs it starts having an effect on my face. The hair grows longer on my face like men.

I have done many things to get rid of this but already no effect. I don't know what to do now. I am getting married soon. I have done waxing, etc., but it continues to grow longer. So I need your help now. What would I do?

By roomanah

Electrolysis. The only permanent way to remove hair permanently.

I am looking for the best hair removal method for facial hair. What do you think of Finishing Touch razor. What do you all use? Thank you.

By flower

How do I remove coarse facial hair? I have tried an epilator, shaving, various creams, Nads, and wax. What works the best? I can't afford to go to a salon for treatment. Any feedback much appreciated.

By Tizzyfluff from Fife, Scotland

I have sensitive skin and have tried surgicream, nair, tweezing, waxing and honey mixture wax too. Everything causes irritation on my skin. I get bumps, redness and peeling. By the time my skin heals its time to do it again.

I would love to try electrolysis but cannot afford it at the moment. (A friend had excellent results.) I would suggest that if you can find an affordable place.

Hello, I had to write about facial hair. I am a retired cosmetologist of 17 years. I waxed my eyebrows and lip all the time with wax like every other week. After doing this for a while, all the hair is gone. I don't know if it pulled the root out but now I don't have any hair under my eye brows or lip to worry about. I really think it was because I did it all the time. Good luck.

Lots of us in the same boat! Have tried facial epilator a bit painful to start with but it works, but still have to tweeze the occasional hair though. Its just a never ending battle!

Dont know if we will ever win the war but onwards and upwards. Hope there is an answer out there if I hear it I will share.

Tizzyfluff

XX

There is a cream available from the doctor, I do not know what it costs but apparently it does work. Also, go and see your doctor and be tested for problems to do with your ovaries and your testosterone levels. I shave every morning and have had this problem since birth, so I do understand.

After years of being embarrassed by facial hair, I finally got laser treatments and my only regret is that I waited so long. I was plucking hairs every day some being very thick and it was becoming a part time job!

The first 3 treatments were a bit pricy but the followup ones are cheaper. Hair growth is hormonal so everyone is different. I haven't had a treatment for at least a year and a half. I get stray hairs but pluck them out with a tweezer and they are gone for at least a few months. I can let them grow, shaving them with my electric shaver for a while and go back for another treatment if I like.

The only area that gets a little fuzzy still is above my lip. I use my electric shaver once in a while and it's gone. Considering I had a serious mustache before, that's not so bad!

Your skin will look a little nicer too because the pores where the hair used to grow out of, close up.

Laser only works with dark hair as previously stated. Many places are having recession specials now so shop around for a good deal! I would highly recommend laser.

I recently waxed my side burns, about 2 weeks ago, but I'm kinda getting a stubble. The same goes with my upper lip. I used the wax strips that they sell at Wallgreen's, but I don't know why my hair is growing back so fast. Help!

It was my fool attempt to cleaning out my facial hairs in order to make my face smooth and more fine than before, but sadly it turned worse. Now it is not smooth, but it is more rough and has more ingrown hairs. Also, my face has gone from darker and reddish to white and bright. So what should I do to have my previous face?

By pardon

I have hair on my chin and I pluck them. I have so many black spots it's so embarrassing. Everybody asks me what happen to you. How can I get rid of these spots?

By Fatima

How can I remove useless hair from my face?

By shakes khan from Karachi

Feedback:

By Deeli 02/28/2011

TXBetty, proper waxing will not cause wrinkles or make wrinkles worse. Most stylists who do waxing use a gentle honey waxing mixture and soft muslin cloth strips. Once the wax is placed on the skin the cloth strip is placed over it, pressed down and then quickly pulled off from one side directed out to the opposite side. Be sure the stylist uses a mild astringent when the waxing is done to close the pores which helps protect against infection.

Report

By TXBetty 02/28/2011

I've been using Surgi Cream from Sally's and it's starting to really irritate my skin. So I'm going to have my hair dresser wax it off. I'm wondering though if the pulling will make wrinkles worse.

Report

By Deeli 02/28/2011

There are a lot of depilatory creams for the face on the market for hair removal and, although it hurts a bit, you could also have the hair waxed by a professional at a beauty/hair salon. You could also have it permanently removed by electrolosis but that can be a lengthy and expensive process depending on the amount of hair but worth checking in to.

Report

By Alizaren 02/26/2011

Shaving for a woman is not a good idea on the face, and it is unecessary to do this daily. I have facial hair and have been using a product by Avon to remove it. It is in the Skin So Soft line of products. It is a cream and easily applies and works fast. It also keeps the hair from growing back as fast as it would shaving. Go to www.avon.com and you can find and order the product, or you too can find an Avon respesenative in your area on the website.

Report

How do you remove unwanted facial hair?

By Farthana

Answers:

Removing Facial Hair

When I can afford to I go to a beauty school and get my chin and eyebrows waxed. Beauty schools are less expensive than salons. For in between I have a "Finishing Touch" personal facial hair remover. They advertise them on TV, but I found mine at my local WalMart in the health and beauty aids department. (06/21/2010)

By redhatterb

Removing Facial Hair

My boyfriend's sister is a licensed cosmetologist with her own shop, and I learned from her to use Surgi Cream hair remover for face, it's an extra gentle formula and works great. I used to be able to buy at our local super Walmart, but they discontinued it, so I found that I can buy it at a local beauty supply shop, good luck. Btw, I've been using it for three years or more now. (06/21/2010)

By Marie

Removing Facial Hair

I use Vaniqua, a prescription product. It is expensive ($75.00 or so), but the small tube lasts about a year. It is the only thing, besides shaving, that works for me. (06/23/2010)

By mulberry204

Removing Facial Hair

Initially waxing or tweezing will stimulate the follicle and make you produce more hair. After a few rounds though, the follicle will become damaged and the amount of hair will be greatly reduced and even cease altogether. It is important to exfoliate to handle ingrown hairs if you are prone to them. Glycolic acid peels and toners are perfect for this as well as good to keep wrinkles and discoloration at bay. Shaving will result in ingrown hairs, thicker hair and skin damage in a lot of people. Also the 5 o'clock shadow is a problem with shaving, and razor burn or crusting typically seen near the corners of the mouth if your hair is coarse. Laser treatment is not permanent and does not work well if the color of the hair is close to the color of the skin or if your hair is white, gray, or light brown. Light skin and dark hair do best, but brown skin and black thick follicles fare well too. Laser may work well initially, but the hair will return. Sometimes it can last as long as a year or more, sometimes not as long. Many treatments are required and it is expensive.

Electrolysis is the only permanent form of hair removal under FDA definition, but is expensive and can take a long time. It is glorified tweezing that destroys the follicle. But each follicle must be treated several times as more than one follicle can arise from the area and the needle must be inserted directly into the follicle to be effective. Laser can be effective, but eventually the hair follicle will regenerate itself. Depilatories are effective, but pose some of the same issues as shaving. The shadow might take a little longer to be evident since the depilatory or hair removal cream extends a little deeper into the skin layer. Some people are very sensitive early or later and develop skin irritation with prolonged use, and also ingrown hair. Threading is again tweezing and will have the same results. The nice thing about threading is that it naturally exfoliates a tiny bit of skin and aids in the prevention of ingrown hair. This new device NO NO is still new and the jury is still out.

Vaniqua cream works, but is prescription and the hair will return when the cream is no longer used. There are non-prescription alternatives, but they too must be used daily or the hair will return. They are a good alternative for a small amount of chin hair or lip problems. Hope this overall review helps. Someday let us wish for a better solution to this common problem. Some women have a very serious hair growth problem, hirsutism or hypertrichosis and it is not to be dismissed so lightly. (06/25/2010)

By liveandlearn900

Removing Facial Hair

Excessive facial hair runs in my family. My mother, her three sisters, my sister, and I and one grand daughter, all have the problem. By the time I was in my 40's I probably could have easily grown a full beard!

I started waxing and using chemicals (until it finally made my lip swell). Then I went back to waxing only when I was a teenager. About eight years ago, I spent over one thousand dollars for Alaze (laser treatments). At the time they said it was permanent. It wasn't! Within a year my facial hair was worse than ever.

I have now been doing electrolysis for a year and it appears to be a permanent solution. The technician has been in business for years. She told me that because I had been waxing and tweezing for so many years each follicle now had several roots and it would take longer than had I never tweezed. So I would recommend that anyone shave only, until they can afford electrolysis. And it only makes sense that shaving does not disturb the root at all so it would not cause more roots as tweezing and waxing does.

After a year of going once a week for electrolysis, I am finally beginning to see results. I eventually changed to every two weeks and now just once a month. I still shave in between my electrolysis appointments, but the few that are left are not the coarse ones that were so obvious. I have light ash brown hair, but my eyebrows and eyelashes have always been black or a very dark brown, as is my facial hair. I also have to tweeze several black hairs around my breast nipples every week.

My electrologist charges $50 for for thirty minutes and $80 for one hour. She has a cream that is supposed to help deaden the skin for pain, but I chose not to use it at the first treatment as it would take ten to fifteen minutes before it would take full effect. I told her to try it without and was fine as I have a very high tolerance for pain. Although I really don''t consider it very painful at all. A little bit more than tweezing. But I also have very oily skin with large pores. If I had fine skin with less visible pores, I think it might be more painful. She is also doing the stray hairs in my thick black or at least very dark eyebrows. That is more painful than my lip and chin area, but still tolerable for me to bear just to not have to tweeze every night and my eyebrows every night also!

My youngest grand daughter has the same problem and I offered to pay for six months of electrolysis for her, but she prefers waxing for now. Her older sister is blond with no facial hair problem!
My electrologist also told me that Alaze works great for legs, arms, and bikini, but not facial. Only electrolysis is a permanent solution at the current time for facial hair.
I also have to shave my arms, toes, and fingers! (06/25/2010)

By Kathryen

Removing Facial Hair

I use Sally Hansen facial hair removal cream. Hair grows back in about 4-6 weeks, but there is no "stubble", it grows back soft and is very effective. The trick is to put it on thick, don't leave on more than 6 minutes and then rinse softly with a very wet wash cloth and then hands. If you rub, your skin will burn. Instead of the accompanying cream they provide, I immediately apply Neosporin pain ointment (I do it before bed) and there is no burning. The next day I avoid any skin creams, usually just vitamin E oil for moisturizing and sun block. (07/16/2010)

By gamehen

I am looking for suggestions, at home or salon, for the best way to remove facial hair on lip and chin (some is coarse and white) and on your back and arms (not coarse and white)?