Removing Facial Hair

There are a variety of methods for having unwanted facial hair removed. This is a guide about removing facial hair.

February 20, 2007 Flag

How can I get rid of hair on my face by homemade methods? But not by using bleach.

Pavani

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.19.5  /element/506.php

I use this homemade sugar wax. Put a soft terrycloth rag over wax and press. Pull hard and quick. I use it on my face and legs.

hey

take 1 table spoon of white flour and 1 table spoon of potash alum and add 1 table spoon of rose water into it.....apply this on your face and do this daily for one month.....or get ur face waxed (hot)and then apply rose water it will close the pores and regrowth would be slower

Take one tablespoon of Turmeric powder and mix with curd. Apply this pack on your face regularly. Your hair regrowth will be slower.

February 21, 2012 Flag

Does anyone have a safe and effective treatment for hair removal for chin and upper lip hair? I use a Finish Touch razor, but it is temporary and the chin hair is stubborn to get rid of. Thank you.

By flower51

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It's such a nuisance, huh! I use a razor on my chin, do a lot of plucking, and now and then use Sally Hansen depilatory on my upper lip.

When there are just a few hairs on my upper lip I use an emery board. Nothing is going to be permanent except maybe electrolysis, so the emery board is a good backup between shaves or depilatories. I don't have a lot of hairs so sometimes I pluck, and sometimes I use the emery board. I found a little hair removal kit at the dollar store which has pieces of what looks like very fine grade sandpaper.

I used it, and it worked, though it can leave your skin red for about 24 hours - much like waxing does. Then I started substituting the emery board (not the metal ones) and was happy with the results. It works for small patches of leg hair too. Won't hurt to try it. Good luck!

Sally Hansen brush on hair remover for face 3 to 5 minutes tops, be careful it might burn if on too long.

May 27, 2011 Flag

I have a problem. I'm 18yrs old. When I was small about 2yrs, I developed asthma, so I have to drink lots of medicine. Now when I am 18yrs it starts having an effect on my face. The hair grows longer on my face like men.

I have done many things to get rid of this but already no effect. I don't know what to do now. I am getting married soon. I have done waxing, etc., but it continues to grow longer. So I need your help now. What would I do?

By roomanah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What kind of medicine are you drinking? I'm not familiar with drinking anything for asthma, but it sounds like you are in another country that could have another type of treatment? If what you are taking is a form of steroid, that could cause facial hair. Maybe you need to talk to your doctor to see if there is something else you can take?

Electrolysis only works for those with dark hair; if you are a blonde or have very light hair, it won't work as well.

I saw an interview on TV with a beautiful Japanese lady about 20 years ago, and she said Japanese women shave their faces every day, which explains their incredible complexions. She said shaving got rid of the surface skin, sloughing it off, and any facial hairs that might be on the face. It was a fascinating interview!

It sounds like you're in a different country, but in the USA we have laser hair removal. It works best on people with lighter skin and darker hair, but there are tricks a good specialist can use for lighter colored hair, such as dying it first. The laser treatments work much faster than electrolysis and are far less painful.

Also, please speak to your doctor. I've never heard of asthma medication causing hair growth but if the issue is a medication you're taking, maybe it can be switched to something else. If it's not being caused by a medication, maybe you have something else going on that could be easily treated.

October 29, 2008 Flag

Has anyone ever gotten laser hair removal done? If so, how bad was the pain and how long did your hair stay gone? I have heard it really isn't permanent but I am so desperate I am willing to think about getting it done. I have hair on my chin so bad that I need to shave twice a day now. My chin is too sensitive for waxing or Nair.

Do more women than I know of have hair on their chins or am I just a freak of nature? Also, has anyone tried the prescription Vaniqua for hair removal and did it work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mindy from Washington, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you don't fit the qualifications for laser hair removal, try electrolysis. Especially good if your hair is very fine.

I've been getting laser hair removal for a while. I too am a freak of nature and shave my chin area 2x a day. My skin tone is fair and the hair on my chin is dark brown to red brown. I have lots of peach fuzz on my face and 10-15 stray dark brown hairs in the side burn area that i just pluck. When I used to pluck my chin hairs would get a lot of ingrowns and infections (like big pimples). So i started shaving. When i decided to get laser treatment i researched on the different types of laser machines used. I decided to go with a company that just does laser hair removal and has vested dollars to back their laser research. The machine that is used on me includes laser and radio frequency. The laser has a cooling plate which is helpful. I was told that facial hair is a little harder to treat because it is a hormonal area. I have seen some lightening and thinning, and still shave twice a day.

I get my full legs treated as well. I have hair from my ankles all the way up to my bikini line, inner thigh, and back of thighs. The top of my legs were always the most painful to shave because the hair was so thick. The hair on my legs are dark blonde-brown. I was told this was a little harder to treat because of the lack of pigment. I have had wonderful results with my legs. The hair has thinned, lightened, bald patches, etc. And it's easier to shave.

Pain----i had a hard time tolerating the pain. Not at first though. I was on a lower setting (for fair skin) and the settings gradually increased. There were times when i did cry. So.....I ordered a prescription numbing cream from Canada (with out a prescription) and it has helped dramatically. They should provide you with ice packs before/after treatment and a post-laser cream. I also take herbal relaxation pills because i get anxious about the treatment. An MP3 player has helped relax as well (leg treatments with a double pass can be 2 hours!).

Vaniqua does help, but you have to use it consistently. When I stopped using the cream, the hair came back. It's not permanent and there are some hairs that just won't go away.

Nair was always so harsh on my face and i had stubble after treatment plus it clogged my pores and i ended up with pimples. I could never stomach waxing. Too painful. Plus it doesn't make sense to me to rip something off my skin once a week. Would that cause wrinkles?

If you do decide to get treatment research the different types of lasers/machines used and the companies. Do they have just one type of machine, do they have a maintenance plan with their machines, do they have their own R&D into the machines? All they need is a doctor to run the operation and hire technicians that are trained on the machines. I opted not to go to a fancy place that can also do botox and a host of other treatments.

Also, try to not pluck as this will interfere with your laser treatment by retarding hair growth and the follicle.

I know that was a lot and hope that helps!

Thanks to everybody! I think I probably will go for it sometime, I will need to come up with the money first though. I am so desperate that I am willing to try anything at this point. Lucky for me I have dark hair on my face so hopefully it will work. When I ever get it done I will report on how well it did or didn't work, but it will probably be awhile from now. Thanks again:)

December 7, 2011 Flag

I am looking for the best hair removal method for facial hair. What do you think of Finishing Touch razor. What do you all use? Thank you.

By flower

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Consider using "Magic Shave". It is in the " people of african descent hair and facial section" (excuse my perhaps non-politically correct wording :) of most stores. It is very inexpensive. Apparently men of color have an issue with ingrown facial hair, so it was designed for them. It is easy to use, and as I said, very inexpensive. It works on legs, underarms and faces although it was designed for faces.

I use the Finishing Touch thing, and have no problems with it, I just prefer when I feel well enough to go to one of the local beauty schools and get waxed (my eyebrows and chin).

I use it and love it myself!

July 31, 2015 Flag

I recently waxed my side burns, about 2 weeks ago, but I'm kinda getting a stubble. The same goes with my upper lip. I used the wax strips that they sell at Wallgreen's, but I don't know why my hair is growing back so fast. Help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but women, all of us, produce testosterone as well as estrogen (look up "hormones" on Google). This means we also have to deal with facial hair, and for some women it's darker and thicker than others. No blame to you for trying to wax it away, but the hair grows back. You can keep waxing, you can shave, tweeze and even bleach it. Lazer hair removal works for some but it takes a long time and isn't cheap. Good luck!

March 25, 2011 Flag

How do I remove coarse facial hair? I have tried an epilator, shaving, various creams, Nads, and wax. What works the best? I can't afford to go to a salon for treatment. Any feedback much appreciated.

By Tizzyfluff from Fife, Scotland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello, I had to write about facial hair. I am a retired cosmetologist of 17 years. I waxed my eyebrows and lip all the time with wax like every other week. After doing this for a while, all the hair is gone. I don't know if it pulled the root out but now I don't have any hair under my eye brows or lip to worry about. I really think it was because I did it all the time. Good luck.

Lots of us in the same boat! Have tried facial epilator a bit painful to start with but it works, but still have to tweeze the occasional hair though. Its just a never ending battle!

Dont know if we will ever win the war but onwards and upwards. Hope there is an answer out there if I hear it I will share.

Tizzyfluff

XX

There is a cream available from the doctor, I do not know what it costs but apparently it does work. Also, go and see your doctor and be tested for problems to do with your ovaries and your testosterone levels. I shave every morning and have had this problem since birth, so I do understand.

May 15, 2007 Flag

I am looking for anyone who has had electrolysis done on their face. Please specify if a disposable needle was used or if a probe was used. I am trying to find out if you feel that what you had done was successful and worth the time and money. Any feedback, positive or negative, relating to your experiences would be appreciated. Please be sure to let me know if it was by needle or probe. I have been told that laser will not work on coarse white hairs and that is part of my problem. In terms of time and cost, does anyone have any feedback on whether to have laser first on the hair that it will treat and then electrolysis on the hair that laser won't treat?

Frances from Kansas City, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Forget electrolysis! Go to your dermatologist and have IPL done instead, unless you're a real blonde. Intensive pulselight therapy works fairly well for facial and bikini areas (I've had both done), three times each, leaving me with just a few hairs to tweeze! It also works for little wrinkles and sunspots.

Well I am currently under going treatmeant right now for my face. I have very fair skin with blonde hairs running down my jawline. My first 3 hour sesions were hell. But my sessions are down to 30 mins once a week. I am happy with my progress so far but the only down side for me was the little red bumps I had occured after each treatment that looked like pimples but went away after a few days. But you do have to be dedicated and have some type of pain tolerance because it is not pain free.

I'm a qualified beauty therapist and have had the treatment, and yes they do use a disposable needle. It does not hurt, it tingles, but the therapist asks how you feel during the treatment so don't fear it. I do treat clients who are afraid of needles but when I start the (electrolysis) treatment, they are fine.

October 23, 2014 Flag

It was my fool attempt to cleaning out my facial hairs in order to make my face smooth and more fine than before, but sadly it turned worse. Now it is not smooth, but it is more rough and has more ingrown hairs. Also, my face has gone from darker and reddish to white and bright. So what should I do to have my previous face?

By pardon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are many different ways to get rid of unwanted body hair but I generally use sugaring to remove body hair. It is quite easy and doesnt need any hectic step. But yes it is quite painful and need patience. You can use it by yourself at home and take the help of any beauty experts. Visit the below post that will guide each and every step to remove unwanted facial hair.

http://www.stop … hair-permanently

May 2, 2013 Flag

I have hair on my chin and I pluck them. I have so many black spots it's so embarrassing. Everybody asks me what happen to you. How can I get rid of these spots?

By Fatima

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 25, 2011 Flag

How can I remove useless hair from my face?

By shakes khan from Karachi

Feedback:

By Deeli 02/28/2011

TXBetty, proper waxing will not cause wrinkles or make wrinkles worse. Most stylists who do waxing use a gentle honey waxing mixture and soft muslin cloth strips. Once the wax is placed on the skin the cloth strip is placed over it, pressed down and then quickly pulled off from one side directed out to the opposite side. Be sure the stylist uses a mild astringent when the waxing is done to close the pores which helps protect against infection.

Report

By TXBetty 02/28/2011

I've been using Surgi Cream from Sally's and it's starting to really irritate my skin. So I'm going to have my hair dresser wax it off. I'm wondering though if the pulling will make wrinkles worse.

Report

By Deeli 02/28/2011

There are a lot of depilatory creams for the face on the market for hair removal and, although it hurts a bit, you could also have the hair waxed by a professional at a beauty/hair salon. You could also have it permanently removed by electrolosis but that can be a lengthy and expensive process depending on the amount of hair but worth checking in to.

Report

By Alizaren 02/26/2011

Shaving for a woman is not a good idea on the face, and it is unecessary to do this daily. I have facial hair and have been using a product by Avon to remove it. It is in the Skin So Soft line of products. It is a cream and easily applies and works fast. It also keeps the hair from growing back as fast as it would shaving. Go to www.avon.com and you can find and order the product, or you too can find an Avon respesenative in your area on the website.

Report

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 25, 2011 Flag

How do you remove unwanted facial hair?

By Farthana

Answers:

Removing Facial Hair

When I can afford to I go to a beauty school and get my chin and eyebrows waxed. Beauty schools are less expensive than salons. For in between I have a "Finishing Touch" personal facial hair remover. They advertise them on TV, but I found mine at my local WalMart in the health and beauty aids department. (06/21/2010)

By redhatterb

Removing Facial Hair

My boyfriend's sister is a licensed cosmetologist with her own shop, and I learned from her to use Surgi Cream hair remover for face, it's an extra gentle formula and works great. I used to be able to buy at our local super Walmart, but they discontinued it, so I found that I can buy it at a local beauty supply shop, good luck. Btw, I've been using it for three years or more now. (06/21/2010)

By Marie

Removing Facial Hair

I use Vaniqua, a prescription product. It is expensive ($75.00 or so), but the small tube lasts about a year. It is the only thing, besides shaving, that works for me. (06/23/2010)

By mulberry204

Removing Facial Hair

Initially waxing or tweezing will stimulate the follicle and make you produce more hair. After a few rounds though, the follicle will become damaged and the amount of hair will be greatly reduced and even cease altogether. It is important to exfoliate to handle ingrown hairs if you are prone to them. Glycolic acid peels and toners are perfect for this as well as good to keep wrinkles and discoloration at bay. Shaving will result in ingrown hairs, thicker hair and skin damage in a lot of people. Also the 5 o'clock shadow is a problem with shaving, and razor burn or crusting typically seen near the corners of the mouth if your hair is coarse. Laser treatment is not permanent and does not work well if the color of the hair is close to the color of the skin or if your hair is white, gray, or light brown. Light skin and dark hair do best, but brown skin and black thick follicles fare well too. Laser may work well initially, but the hair will return. Sometimes it can last as long as a year or more, sometimes not as long. Many treatments are required and it is expensive.

Electrolysis is the only permanent form of hair removal under FDA definition, but is expensive and can take a long time. It is glorified tweezing that destroys the follicle. But each follicle must be treated several times as more than one follicle can arise from the area and the needle must be inserted directly into the follicle to be effective. Laser can be effective, but eventually the hair follicle will regenerate itself. Depilatories are effective, but pose some of the same issues as shaving. The shadow might take a little longer to be evident since the depilatory or hair removal cream extends a little deeper into the skin layer. Some people are very sensitive early or later and develop skin irritation with prolonged use, and also ingrown hair. Threading is again tweezing and will have the same results. The nice thing about threading is that it naturally exfoliates a tiny bit of skin and aids in the prevention of ingrown hair. This new device NO NO is still new and the jury is still out.

Vaniqua cream works, but is prescription and the hair will return when the cream is no longer used. There are non-prescription alternatives, but they too must be used daily or the hair will return. They are a good alternative for a small amount of chin hair or lip problems. Hope this overall review helps. Someday let us wish for a better solution to this common problem. Some women have a very serious hair growth problem, hirsutism or hypertrichosis and it is not to be dismissed so lightly. (06/25/2010)

By liveandlearn900

Removing Facial Hair

Excessive facial hair runs in my family. My mother, her three sisters, my sister, and I and one grand daughter, all have the problem. By the time I was in my 40's I probably could have easily grown a full beard!

I started waxing and using chemicals (until it finally made my lip swell). Then I went back to waxing only when I was a teenager. About eight years ago, I spent over one thousand dollars for Alaze (laser treatments). At the time they said it was permanent. It wasn't! Within a year my facial hair was worse than ever.

I have now been doing electrolysis for a year and it appears to be a permanent solution. The technician has been in business for years. She told me that because I had been waxing and tweezing for so many years each follicle now had several roots and it would take longer than had I never tweezed. So I would recommend that anyone shave only, until they can afford electrolysis. And it only makes sense that shaving does not disturb the root at all so it would not cause more roots as tweezing and waxing does.

After a year of going once a week for electrolysis, I am finally beginning to see results. I eventually changed to every two weeks and now just once a month. I still shave in between my electrolysis appointments, but the few that are left are not the coarse ones that were so obvious. I have light ash brown hair, but my eyebrows and eyelashes have always been black or a very dark brown, as is my facial hair. I also have to tweeze several black hairs around my breast nipples every week.

My electrologist charges $50 for for thirty minutes and $80 for one hour. She has a cream that is supposed to help deaden the skin for pain, but I chose not to use it at the first treatment as it would take ten to fifteen minutes before it would take full effect. I told her to try it without and was fine as I have a very high tolerance for pain. Although I really don''t consider it very painful at all. A little bit more than tweezing. But I also have very oily skin with large pores. If I had fine skin with less visible pores, I think it might be more painful. She is also doing the stray hairs in my thick black or at least very dark eyebrows. That is more painful than my lip and chin area, but still tolerable for me to bear just to not have to tweeze every night and my eyebrows every night also!

My youngest grand daughter has the same problem and I offered to pay for six months of electrolysis for her, but she prefers waxing for now. Her older sister is blond with no facial hair problem!
My electrologist also told me that Alaze works great for legs, arms, and bikini, but not facial. Only electrolysis is a permanent solution at the current time for facial hair.
I also have to shave my arms, toes, and fingers! (06/25/2010)

By Kathryen

Removing Facial Hair

I use Sally Hansen facial hair removal cream. Hair grows back in about 4-6 weeks, but there is no "stubble", it grows back soft and is very effective. The trick is to put it on thick, don't leave on more than 6 minutes and then rinse softly with a very wet wash cloth and then hands. If you rub, your skin will burn. Instead of the accompanying cream they provide, I immediately apply Neosporin pain ointment (I do it before bed) and there is no burning. The next day I avoid any skin creams, usually just vitamin E oil for moisturizing and sun block. (07/16/2010)

By gamehen

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 21, 2010 Flag

I am looking for suggestions, at home or salon, for the best way to remove facial hair on lip and chin (some is coarse and white) and on your back and arms (not coarse and white)?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips RemovalAugust 7, 2015
Woman with facial mask and cukes on eyes.
Homemade Facial Cleanser Recipes
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 1:59:23 PM on 10.0.1.122 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.