Keeping Pantyhose From Running

Every time I put on a pair of pantyhose, whether the toe is sheer or reinforced, I get a runs at the toes within minutes of putting on shoes. What can I do?

By tink050804 from Hayward, CA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Yup, I would suggest getting a little bottle of nailpolish & keep it handy to mend any runs. Works great.

P.S. Once you have applied nail polish to the run, you can often move the mend around so it is on the sole of your foot, and won't show.

I have a pair of cotton gloves that I use just for putting on my pantyhose. Also keeping your toenails short and manicured will help save the foot part.

Try cutting the toe bit off an old pair and put it on under the new pair. It cushions your toe-nails. Once it's snagged though -yep, nail varnish! Marg from England.

Definitely as was mentioned keep your toenails neat and trimmed. I have heard that freezing pantyhose makes them stronger. I've never tried but it can't hurt to. Also be sure you are wearing the right size.

Keep your toenails cut short, slightly rounded and smoothly filed and you should have no problem.

Answer

If you get a run, spray it with some hairspray to stop it in its tracks. A little clear nail polish will also do the trick.

Read more ideas below...

Keeping Pantyhose From Running

When storing your pantyhose, be careful of wooden drawers. Small grains of wood can catch and tear the pantyhose slightly when removing them from the drawer. You may not notice the rip until it turns to a run when you wear them. (12/20/2006)

By Anon

Keeping Pantyhose From Running

Just dab with a little clear nail polish. It works great. (08/11/2007)

By Kelly

Keeping Pantyhose From Running

I'm responding to Mary about the product "Run Stop". I have been looking for about three years and still have the last tube. The company that makes it is Dexus, in Maryland, however their phone number posted is incorrect and I can't find the product any longer either. It was great. Anyone else have any info? (09/03/2008)

By Peggie

Keeping Pantyhose From Running

Make sure your toe and finger nails are free of rough edges, apply a little lotion to your feet and hands before donning your pantyhose and don't put your jewelry on until after you've donned your pantyhose. Another trick I've discovered for making my pantyhose last longer is to hand wash them with hair shampoo and let them drip dry. My pantyhose are now lasting 2 to 3 times longer than prior to doing this. (01/18/2009)

By Michael

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I put a new pair of pantyhose on for the first time yesterday to go to church. When I got there there was a run in them. I remember reading somewhere a tip on how to keep pantyhose from running. Something like freezing them or rinsing in saltwater. Does anyone know what works?

Kathy in Illinois

Answers:
Keep Them Cold 01/04/2005
I have heard that if you keep them in the freezer when not in wear, the cold keeps the nylon from degrading increasing your risk of getting a run. Cold also makes them a bit stronger.
By Michelle M
Keep Them Out of the Dryer 01/04/2005
Don't dry pantyhose in the dryer. It will help them last longer. Actually, it's best to hand wash them. I've also heard that it helps if you wash them before you wear them for the first time.
By calnorth
Clear Nail Polish 01/04/2005
If you already have a small run in you pantyhose (tights) you a small brushing of clear nail polish to stop them running more!
By Cath Alksnis.
Beware of Jewelry 01/04/2005
The biggest cause of runs in pantyhose is jewelry, I make a practice of putting on hose before any watches, bracelets or rings. I have a ring on with a stone, I turn it to the palm side of my hand, close my hand into a fist. I also learned the hard way to keep toenails filed down. I have heard of freezing them, Haven't tried it.

By Diamondee
Get the Cheap Brand 01/09/2005
I had the best luck going to wal mart and getting the cheapest pairs I could find, rather than getting them at the department stores. I found that finer fabric ran quicker than the l'eggs special 5 in a box. I spent $5 on an econo pack over 6 months ago and can't recall having any run on me yet!
By Kelly
Salt Water 01/10/2005
Take the new pantyhose out of the package and soak them in warm water in which you have dissolved 1/4 cup of salt. Let them soak for a few hours, or overnight (you can soak several pairs at once). Then rinse them out in plain water, and hang to dry. I was really skeptical, but I tried this once, and those pantyhose seemed to last FOREVER!
By Becki in Indiana
Freezer and Hairspray 02/23/2005
I keep mine in the freezer until I'm ready to wear them. Then after I put them on a spray them with a fine mist of hairspray. Don't know the scientific molecular breakdown of why this works but seems to work for me. Good luck ladies.
By Suzanne S.
Put Two Legs Together 04/13/2005
I probably ought to be ashamed to tell this but when I was in high school money was really tight for our family. That was before the days when we were allowed to wear pants to school. Somebody told me about a way to stretch the use of pantyhose. When one leg got a runner, cut that leg off at the panty part and use another pair with the same problem by cutting it off. In other words you have two panty tops and two good legs. No one knows if you don't tell. Hey--a girl's gotta do what a girl's GOTTA DO!
By MamawKC
Keep Your Nails Cut and Smooth 05/24/2005
I have heard that lotion on your legs will deteriorate the nylon and spandex in pantyhose. Gloves are also recommended for putting on and removal of hosiery. Snags can also be reduced by using pumice stones on the rough, dry sections of feet. Keeping fingernails and toenails smooth and removing jewelry will help to avoid snags and/or runs. Shoes that don't fit properly will shorten the life of hosiery. Corn pads placed on the inside of shoes at points of friction (heel, ball of foot etc.) will extend the wearability of pantyhose.
By jerry
Freeze Them 06/07/2005
I love my pantyhose so I like to keep them run free so I freeze them to last longer.

By kelly
Hosiery Mate 07/12/2005
There is a liquid solution called Hosiery Mate that is made for washing pantyhose. It helps them last longer. I wear Victoria's Secret High Leg Light Control Pantyhose. I wouldn't be without them. The Hosiery Mate works well with them and gives them that silky, soft feel.
By George
Nail Polish 07/20/2005
If it does run, put a dab of nail polish on the run to keep it from spreading.
By sj
Nail Polish 05/30/2006
I put clear nail polish on my toes before I put my pantyhose on. When I take my hose off, no runs. This works like a charm.
By Eva

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceJanuary 28, 2010
Uses for Nylons
Uses for Nylons
Feet and Legs in Pantyhose
Saving Money on Pantyhose
Panty Hose
Pantyhose Tips and Tricks
Storing Pantyhose
Storing Pantyhose
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 4, 2016 at 4:38:22 AM on 10.0.0.167 in 386 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.