Removing Water Marks on Windows

I've tried to clean my house windows with cleaners such as Windex, Bon Ami, vinegar, Colgate toothpaste, Cascade, Dawn, and baking soda. They are stained with water spots and grime. We live on the golf course and I don't know what all they spray on the fairway, etc., but I can't get my windows clean. Please help!

By Bill from Fontana, CA

Try a Magic Eraser on one, and you may be able to get the build-up off. You will probably need to follow up with Windex or another glass cleaner, but hopefully they will do the trick.

You could try using a window cleaner called Invisible Glass. You can find it in the automotive section of most supermarkets or of course at auto stores. This has taken a lot of tough gunk off of our windows.

Once you get them clean, coat them with Rainx. It will save a lot of work later on.

What you are describing as water spots sounds more like Sticker spots. Sticker is a chemical that somewhat water proofs another chemical like fungicides. The make-up of this stuff is pretty simple it's like Elmers glue and dish soap, something I have used when landscaping in large complexes.

To remove Sticker spots use alcohol, rubbing will work as will alcohol based hand sanitizers. You may also have to use a light abrasive like baking soda. Dampen a cloth with the alcohol or rub the sanitizer on the window and scrub ( you may want to let the sanitizer sit to work it's way into the stains) then polish with the baking soda and rinse. It may take more than one application to remove all this stuff.

After you get the windows clean seal the glass with a rainex type product. Also check into having the golf course clean up their mess, if this has gotten onto your windows via a pesticide application they could be liable for the damage.

I do not think there is any health concern as a Sticker product in not used with toxic chemicals.

When my husband and myself bought my parents home from them, we were left with forty years of hard water on the front bedroom window which was caused by the sprinklers. You name it, I tried it. Then I tried some Vaseline Petroleum Jelly, mixed with ashes from our fireplace. It did take a little time but after I wiped it off and dried the glass, I was completely blown away! The glass looked near to new!!!! Of course it was still a little cloudy, but that was due to trying things like CLR, Razor Blade, Lime Away which did nothing more than etch the glass. That will never come off.

You could use something like Rottonstone, but it has been so many years since I have seen that, I doubt it it is even made anymore. You need to use a extremely fine abrasive that polishes and doesn't etch the glass. That is why the ash is used.

I tell you, I was so shocked at the outcome I am still amazed and thankful I won't be having to replace the glass in four rather large windows .