Crafts Using Old Lace

Category Miscellaneous
Old Lace Pillow
Recycle old lace from worn garments or finds made at yard sales and the thrift store. This is a guide about crafts using old lace.

One window in our mountain cabin does not have a screen, so I tacked a lace tablecloth to the inside of the frame. Air could circulate and mosquitoes and flies were kept out! This could work for windows anywhere.

By Alyxandra

I have a love of old linens, lace, etc., and came up with a unique way to display them. I took a wire hanging basket and attached lace around each basket. I then filled each with pretty linens, old gloves, and more lace. I then hung it up and draped more lace from the hook. Finally I found a crystal which I wired to the bottom to complete the look.

The picture isn't very good, but hopefully it will inspire you!

By Carol from Landisville, PA

Buy some beautiful lace placemats or cut some from an old lace panel or from an old curtain. Lay out a piece of clear contact paper and cut it a little larger than the lace. Slowly peel the backing off the clear contact paper and adhere the lace. Now lay on some dried flowers or old pictures and ribbons and cover with another piece of contact paper.

By Debra in CO

I have a Mother of the Bride's dress that I will not wear again. It is ivory colored with an overlay of beautiful open lace over the bodice. I would like to take the lace and "recycle" the lace bodice into a craft that would be a unique addition to my decor. Any suggestions?

Jose from Tennessee

How about different size&shapes of throw pillows or make a one of a kind"1st annisversary"pillow for your daughters 1st annisversary.?you could embellish it stitching their wedding date...

Keeper

I know some people have used that type of dress and make them in to christian gowns for other family members.

You could use it as the backing in a photo frame of you and the Bride on her day... or when the first child arrives you could make a garment for the christening... a shawl, vest, coverlet.

I'm all for throw pillows!

I had my grandmother's wedding dress made into a Christmas tree top doll. She is very Victorian. The only regret I have is the doll maker concentrated on the doll-not the dress. None the less she is beautiful and my daughter has asked me to leave it to her in my will.

You can make a pillow--either a square one or cut a heart shape out and sew it up and then stuff it or I have angels made from old quilts that were beginning to fray and plan to make one out of the bodice of my wedding dress. Cut a circle for the head out of muslim and sew it and slightly stuff it and make a face on it. For the body cut an elongated triangle and sew it and stuff it. Attach the head and then cut angel wings for the back---you may want to stiffen them some.

Anonymous

Thank you all for the unique ideas; I like the Christmas tree doll topper idea with the Victorian look. I have a lady that has a monogramming design business; I will give her a call and see if she has some ideas!

I can always come into this forum and get some really good ideas!

Here is a pic (I hope)

another pic

This is weird looking. It is under her dress to show how she is tied to the top of the tree. Just a muslin "body" with grosgrain ties.

THe back of her head.

Buy some cork board. Size to fit any size picture frame. Cover the same with fabric of your choice. Pin bodice to cork and fabric. Put picture together and hang.