Potty Training With Pennies

I have just potty-trained my 2 year old with a very simple idea. Each morning she gets 10 pennies to put in a jar. If she has an accident, I take a penny away. I decorated a shoe box and put prizes in it. Each prize is allotted a certain number of pennies (depending on how big and exciting the prize). At the end of the day, we count out her pennies and she can choose a prize from the box with the number of pennies she still has left. It has been a great quick method! Also teaches counting and purchasing skills.

By thriftymomof2 from Maryland

LOLLLLLLl!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is SO cute! When i used to babysit every Friday Id give all the kids even the littlest ones ( 2 yr olds ) a cup and have them pick up all the cig butts in the driveway. My bf at the time worked on cars in the garage and he and his friends filled up our gravel driveway with the cig butts all the time. Then i would give them as many pennies as they had collected cig butts. Wed count them all out, throw them away and then Id take them garage saling with me! It was a blast to watch 2 year olds shopping for little toys! All the kids loved the deal and I got my driveway cleaned up once a week!

I'm glad this is working, but I would rather see you doing the opposite-reward her with a penny each time she uses the potty, rather than "punishing" her when she has an accident. Educators and psychologists agree that the positive reinforcement is more effective overall than punishers.

I am so going to pass this on to my nieces! This is a GREAT IDEA :)

I wish I had done this with my children. The only thing I had for them as motivation was a book! I'd let them read while they were going potty, a habit they still have today!

Lily,

How about using an ashtray? Such as a can with sand instead. Think of a better chore for them to do rather than picking up cig butts! Thats just plain disgusting!

We used potty charts and that worked for us.

You can print them out here for free:

http://www.childavenue.com/pages/family_corner_pages/printables.html

Parenting Toddler and Preschooler Potty TrainingJune 6, 2007
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog
Cloth Diapers
Uses for Cloth Diapers
🎄