Halloween Costume Ideas

I called several places about renting a Halloween costume and was dumbfounded at the amount of money you can spend to rent a costume. And you don't even get to keep it! So, I put my thinking cap on and did some research. I thought I would pass along a few ideas, that won't cost you a arm and a leg.

Static Cling: Wear anything in a solid color, all white or even all black. With safety pins, attach stuff to yourself such as socks , underwear and dryer sheets. Spray your hair straight up into the air, and you're good to go...

Miss America: Use an old bridesmaid dress or prom formal (and you thought you'd never wear it again); add a pair of gloves, a tiara, some oversized jewelry and heels. For the banner, write your title of choice in glitter on a wide white ribbon.

1960s Hippie: Tie-dyed clothing, long wig, sandals, headband, anything with fringe on it (vests, purse, etc.), pale-colored sunglasses.

The All-American Tourist: Guys wear loud Hawaiian shirt, shorts , large straw hat. Girls, brightly colored loud dress, flats, big sun hat, straw bag. Don't forget to have a camera and maps hanging out.

Real nerd: Slick back the hair, grab some pants that are too short, white shirt, white socks, penny loafers or lace-up oxfords, pocket protector with lots of pens, dark rim glasses and a briefcase.

This year, use what you've got to make a costume. And if all else fails, there's always a ghost. Among all of those authentic, high-priced getups that are from a rental place, you'll definitely be unique.

These are from Cheapskate Monthly

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

One year I bought some fairly heavy weight fabric stiffner- you know, the stuff you put inside waistbands or lapels-- it is somewhat see thru-- with some ribbon it made a fine vampire cape-- with el cheapo teeth and stuff from the dollar store-- and I still could sew with it!

A few years back, I dressed up all in black (nothing fancy) and put on a black cap (like a dock worker would wear). I then wrapped half my body in a bag of $1 fake spider webbing.

While I had to tell most people that I was "the victim of spiderman" once they got it they all thought it was great.

So if ya don't mind explaining yourself, it's a costume that only costs a buck

One of my guy friends dressed all in black then cut out pictures of celebrity women from magazines and pinned them to himself- Chick magnet.

My daughter once took a large picture frame and put a piece of cloth over the back and used my old suspenders to hold it up and then a blue ribbon on the front and went as a work of art. it was really cute.

Woman Dressed in Witch Halloween Costume
Halloween Costume Ideas for Adults
Crafts Halloween CostumesOctober 16, 2006
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Phantom Of The Opera Costume
Making a Batgirl Costume
Boy Behind Fence in Convict Costume
Making a Convict Costume
Girl Dressed as a Nurse
Making a Nurse Costume