Gift Idea: Fill a Tote With Useful Items

For Christmas this year, I decided to do something different than the usual gift cards. I bought laundry baskets or clothes hampers or storage totes for each person I was going to buy for. In the case of the kids, I bought inexpensive toy boxes.

All year, I bought shampoo, soap, toilet paper, paper towels, bath towels, hand towels, wash cloths, toothpaste, deodorant, et cetera, when I found it on a good sale. I filled each tote or basket with these items. Some I made more personal, if I knew their likes and dislikes.

I was amazed at how many times someone said, "I love this idea. I'm going to steal it next year." The same thing could be done for birthdays, bridal and baby showers, etc. The possibilities are endless. Have fun.

By Judybelle from Fayetteville, WV

Great idea, buying gifts all year long is great. But I forget who they are for. Individual totes or containers with recipients name is perfect! I think I could line the top of my closet with them for handy filling. Thank you!

I have been doing this for several years for my grown children and there families. They tell me every Christmas that they look forward to see what is going to be in there "gift basket" this year. I find items year round on sale or with coupons for little or nothing and place them in the basket that applies to that individual. I shop more often than my kids do,so I can find the "bargains", they don't have the time or energy to do that. It really makes for a great gift.

Thanks for reminded me about this idea! My mother in law took a clothes basket and every time she went to the grocery store she bought 1 or 2 things and put in basket. For example- salt, tin foil, baggies, pepper and so forth. She filled that basket up and gave it to me at my bridal shower. it really did help when we had to go to the grocery store the first time after getting married.We did not have to buy a lot!

Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts BasketsJanuary 26, 2010
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Gift basket with green ribbon.
Making a Mother's Day Gift Basket
Recycle Tote Bag
Decorating Tote Bags
Working on a Crocheted Tote Bag
Making a Crocheted Tote Bag
🎄