Pet PagesPets

Scruffy (Border Collie/Cocker Spaniel)

contest winner icon

Scruffy is an 8 year old Border Collie/Cocker Spaniel. The story of how Scruffy and I came to be a pet-owner pair is actually a little interesting. In his first home, Scruffy's parents were specially bred to produce what was supposed to be their perfect little puppy. Unfortunately for them, this scruffy little rag doll was not what they had in mind!

Scruffy was eventually adopted by some friends of my parents - very nice people, but, for some reason, Scruffy didn't necessarily like them. He'd sulk around the house, hide in corners, and was very anti-social, except when my mom would come to visit. When my parents would go see these friends of their's, Scruffy would become a new dog, wagging his tail, begging for attention, and would jump in my mom's lap. All these people's other pets love their lives, because these good people spoil there animals and give them wonderful homes. So, no one knows why Scruffy acted this way.

Finally, these friends of my parents decided to just offer the dog to my mom and dad, figuring Scruffy may be happier that way. Since our family hadn't had a dog and we were finally in a place where we could, my parents gladly accepted. My mom was so happy to have a dog of her own to love and who would love her back... then he met me.

I honestly have no clue why Scruffy took such a liking to me, but when we met, he was hooked. He slept in my room, followed me around the house, sat at my feet in the living room, and loved taking care of the horses with me. Soon enough, he became my dog, and has been ever since. He's been through high school with me, journeyed to college, and came home to live with my husband and I, where he will forever reside until his time in over here. :)

Scruffy still likes to lounge around the house, although he's not too big on hiding anymore, unless the over-sized puppy wants to play! He loves chasing critters, eating treats, and rolling around on his back.

The one thing I've always found so adorable about Scruffy is the way he wakes me up in the mornings. I'm awful about alarm clocks, and will let mine scream forever, as I drift back into pleasant slumber. Scruffy, on the other hand, will lightly whine if it goes on too long, and eventually be licking my nose to wake me up. Maybe I'm weird, but I find this to be so cute!

By Chelle152 from Coquille, OR

Thank you for sharing Scruffy's story. It's amazing how some animals will choose their own master when given a chance.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a precious story about a special dog's love for his special "master"; thanks for sharing such a heart-warming story!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Well, I think the combination of cocker spaniel & border collie is very cute! He has the cutest face! How nice that Scruffy found his perfect person! Best wishes to you & Scruffy & thanks for sharing his interesting story.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Aww... Scruffy is just adorable! He has such a happy face now that he is in the loving and caring hands of the person he truly knows that loves him and will care for him as a family member. Thank you for sharing this precious picture of your fur-baby.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Isn't it a wonderful thing when an animal decides you belong to them? You get such a living, life-long friend! Scruffy has a very sweet face,I'm glad he wasn't what they wanted, so he could pick you.

When I was a toddler, my dad's brother got a Samoyed husky. Unfortunately, after the dog met my dad, he decided he belonged to him & followed him home, where he met me & decided I belonged to him! My uncle would take him home & he'd run away to our house again.

Finally my uncle got tired of it & just gave him to us. He was my protector & friend. I shared my bottle with him & when I escaped the yard one day,my mom found me toddling down the busiest road in town with Chinook walking between me & the traffic, keeping me safe - he always protects me.

We had many adventures together, until we lost him when our home burned. The neighbors told the firemen to forget the house & save the dog-they tried, giving him mouth-to-mouth CPR (this was 40 years ago, before that became a common thing), but couldn't save him. I still miss him!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Oops! I meant loving, life-long friend!

Reply Like this photo? Yes