Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet

Category Carpet
Vomit stains and odors can be difficult and unpleasant to remove from carpet. This is a guide about removing vomit stains from carpet.

Try Windex on carpet stains. My husband taught me this and it really works

By AJCharee

Thanks so much it works wonders

A cat laying on carpet.

This is a guide about cleaning cat vomit stains from carpet. When your pet gets sick and vomits on the carpet stains often result, from food dyes, and more.

Yes! Yes! Windex worked on a pink vomit stain when OxiClean, Shout, Folex, Challenge, Ram, and Scrubbing Bubbles wouldn't touch it. So glad I found this. Yay!

How do I remove dog vomit stains from my carpet?

By Janice

I would recommend this product or one like it:

http://www.drsf  .cfm?pcatid=3521

Blessings, Robyn

Nature's Miracle (available at pet stores) has worked for me on all kinds of pet stains & odors, as well as kid messes! Once it made the stain from a dropped plate of spaghetti & sauce completely disappear on a white carpet! It may take a few days for the stain to totally fade away, but it has always worked for me.

I have been amazed at how well plain old club soda works to clean up stains left by pets, including vomit. Clean up any solids first, then pour a little club soda on the stain. Let it set a few seconds, then use a rag (not paper towels) to scrub. If you still have a slight stain, repeat, and use some Oxyclean spray, and scrub again. Obviously, this works best on new stains.

I have been using this method for several years. Unfortunately, I have some aging animals with health problems and have had to use this method a lot lately.

I need a sure-fire way to get this icky up-chuck stain off my newly-cleaned carpeting. I've blotted up the liquid, etc. Now I'm left with an icky stain. Help!

By Laurie

My daughter has a vomit stain on her carpet from the 2nd week in December. She has tried everything everyone has suggested. It doesn't smell, but the stain will not go away. She needs to get the stain out so she isn't charged for the stain when she moves out.

I thank you in advance for your advice.

By Kat

I had my six month old Basset Hound named Howlie spayed this past Monday. When she was brought home from having surgery later that day she was pretty sick from the anesthesia. That evening and all night she kept vomiting up this green bile. It was as green as grass in color. She is doing fine now.

What I would like to know is if anyone can tell me how how to get the green color out of my carpet? I have several green spots on my carpet and have tried everything I can think of. Tried shampooing it out also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rita from Weatherford, TX

Answers:

Vomit Stain on Carpet

Get some Spot Shot at Wal Mart or a similar store. I haven't found a stain yet that this product won't remove.
(05/01/2008)

By Jean from MS

Vomit Stain on Carpet

I use Simple Green and LA' Totally Awesome. The Awesome is sold at dollar stores and now I know why they call it that, it takes stains out of anything. I use all the Awesome products now, even the laundry stuff will get stains out of carpet and things! I used Simple Green because a friend I had owned a laundry business, and she said it took stains out of everything. I was not supposed to share this info as she charged for stain removal, lol. This is really yucky, too, but she said in her business, funeral homes would come in after hours and they would in the industrial washers wash the bedding that embalming and such were done on, gross! They came to her to get blood stains out of stuff she used Simple Green on a lot. Sorry to gross you out, but this stuff has power! (05/01/2008)

By KimmyLynn

Vomit Stain on Carpet

Resolve for pet stains is awesome for removing the stain and odor! I have used it for cat vomit, blood stains on our carpet and cat tree after a stray cat wounded one of our cats (he was taken to vet after I discovered the blood stains, and is A-OK now). We also had 3 big spots of kitten diarrhea when we started letting the kittens come in for winter, that a stray under our house had given birth to, all of which we have adopted and spayed-neutered. One of them must have been sick or very nervous that first couple of days, as he had several accidents before making it to the litter box, poor thing. Resolve resolved the problem, though, LOL.

You just get up all you can with a paper towel or washcloth, spray the area, wait 3 minutes, then keep wiping with a damp cloth until all of the stain and solution is gone, then allow to dry. Very easy. I never thought the area around their litter boxes would be the same, but it is. And you get it at the grocery or Wal-mart or wherever. You don't have to make a special trip to the pet store or vet. (06/02/2008)

By Connie W

I have a doxy and she was sick for a couple of days. Can anyone suggest how to get stain out of carpets? It is Beige carpet. She is fine now, the vet said it was just a flu like thing. Thanks.

Sherin from Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Removing Vomit Stains From Beige Carpet

Try Shout laundry stain remover. Test a spot that is not seen, then try it on the stain. That is what I'd do. Hope it helps. Angie (08/20/2008)

By auguissette

Removing Vomit Stains From Beige Carpet

Get "Resolve Carpet Cleaner for Pet Stains." Sure worked for me! (08/21/2008)

By connie w.

Removing Vomit Stains From Beige Carpet

I found a "new to me" carpet cleaner is Folex. It may be purchased at Wal-Mart, where I got mine, Home Depot as well as Lowes. My hubby took stains out of our carpet that we didn't know what they were. It also works on upholstery as well as clothing. A friend of mine said she got out an old stain out of her hubby's shirt. So it works. Hope it does for you too.

Linda from PA (08/21/2008)

By quickcooker

Removing Vomit Stains From Beige Carpet

I use vinegar water or often just warm water, and my wet-dry vacuum helps me really pull the dirty water out of the deepest layers. No matter what cleaner, you gotta get it all up. (08/21/2008)

By kimhis

Removing Vomit Stains From Beige Carpet

I have had 2 cats for 15 yr and they continue to vomit on my beige carpet weekly. Here is my true blue never fail homemade carpet cleaner. (These ingredients will make about 1 yrs worth of cleaner.)You'll need:

• Spray bottle
  • Liquid Oxycleaner stain remover (I used to use
  • powder but this works MUCH better)
  • Liquid SHOUT gel
  • Liquid colored bleach.

Mix equal parts of each cleaner (it really depends on the size of your spray bottle but I normally do a little less than 1/4 c each). Fill with hot water. Shake gentle.

Spray on the stain and wait a minute or two. Then spray once more and scrub. BEAUTIFUL! If you get a soapy result, you have too much cleaner and need to water it down some.
(09/30/2008)

By Char

I need advice! While babysitting, my friend's kid threw up all over the place. I am having the hardest time getting rid of the vomit smell in my carpet and my hair. I have tried everything on the carpet: soap and water, vinegar, CarpetFresh, Febreeze - nothing worked. Now it just smells like CarpetFresh AND vomit. I've washed my hair a number of times but can't get the smell out of there either. It's really awful. If I have to throw out the carpet, I will, but I don't want to cut off all my hair! Please help!

Anon from Brooklyn, NY

Answers:

Vomit Stain on Carpet

Sprinkle baking soda on the carpet. Let is sit there for a couple hours and then vacuum. Baking soda is the best at getting odors out of things. Just give it time to work. You may need to do this for a few times, but is should help.

Note: If the vomit liquid got into the carpet backing, then it is more difficult and my not be possible to completely remove the smell.

I wish you well in this.
(12/24/2005)

By

Vomit Stain on Carpet

The smell may not be in the carpet but in the padding underneath. My best suggestion is to take a utility knife and cut out the piece of carpeting, replace the padding underneath and after washing the carpet piece with plain old soap, like Ivory Flakes or grated Ivory soap, replace the piece into the hole like a puzzle piece.

Merry Christmas! (12/24/2005)

By rabbithorns

Vomit Stain on Carpet

I would recommend cleaning the carpet with a biological washing powder or liquid. This definitely works when treating any animal 'accident' smells even cat spray! (12/25/2005)

By emjclarke

Vomit Stain on Carpet

If you have wood under your carpet padding, it may have soaked into the wood.
Or it may just be the carpet itself, not sure check each place so you know what you should clean!

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!!! (12/25/2005)

By NO-SEW

Vomit Stain on Carpet

Wow, thank you all for your kind and helpful advice. I tried baking soda, which worked well for a while, but a few hours later, the smell was back. After reading your comments, I checked and it looked like it had seeped through the carpet backing and into the floor! That's why nothing was working.

Incidentally I would advise people not to buy CarpetFresh foam - the smell was offensive and just joined forces with the puke smell to make one invincible super-smell.

I tried tomato juice and facial astringent on my hair today (I read they are last ditch resorts) and the smell is weakened but still there. I just hope that since it is weakening, the smell will eventually fade away.

I ended up giving up and throwing out the carpet today. I recently redecorated and it didn't match my new color scheme anyway. But thanks again for all your replies. I'll sure think twice before babysitting again! Happy holidays everyone. (12/26/2005)

By Anon from Brooklyn, NY

Vomit Stain on Carpet

Visit www.weardated.com to learn more about carpets made with Wear-Dated® carpet fiber including DuraSoft®, Traffic Control and ThermaSealed®

Vomit

Important - Always read and follow the care instructions and any warnings provided by the carpet manufacturer. Rugs and carpets with natural fibers and/or certain dyes may require special treatment. If in doubt contact a cleaning professional for advice/service. Also follow these General Rules for stain treatment.

Remove as much of the stain as possible by using a spoon or dull knife. Blot up as much of the stain as possible with white paper towels.

Neutralize by spraying the affected area with the ammonia solution (1 tablespoon of clear household ammonia and 1/2 cup of water). Care should be taken to remove all protein matter. Blot to remove excess moisture.

Apply a small quantity of detergent solution to the spot. (To make the detergent solution mix 1/4 teaspoon of a hand dish washing detergent which does not contain lanolin or bleach with 1 quart of water; examples of safe detergents are Dawn® and Joy®.) Use a blotting motion to work the detergent into the affected area. If spot is being removed continue applying detergent and blotting with a white paper towel until spot is removed.

Rinse with tap water using a spray bottle, blot to remove excess moisture.

Spray lightly with water, do not blot this time; apply pad of paper towels and brick and allow to dry. If there is still some stain on the carpet and blotting is not removing it, then moisten the tufts in the stained area with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Let stand for on (1) hour. Blot and repeat until carpet is stain free. Light will cause peroxide to change back to water so no rinsing is necessary. Apply pad of paper towels and weight down with brick. (12/28/2005)

By

Vomit Stain on Carpet

I have found that Head and Shoulders Shampoo gets rid of the smell of vomit as well as the smell of skunk on a long haired dog. (12/28/2005)

By Debi K

Vomit Stain on Carpet

I'm not sure what to tell you about your hair, but I would suggest renting some sort of industrial type cleaning machine for carpets to do the best job. You can either hire a professional company or you can rent the machines are do it yourself for much less. (12/29/2005)

By Robin

Vomit Stain on Carpet

I have had excellent success with the pet stain/odor products "Nature's Miracle" and "Kids and Pets" in dealing with extensive vomit stains in carpet. You should make sure that you don't have a real, finished wood floor (like parquet) under the carpet -- if you do, you won't be able to use the large quantity of the above cleaners to completely soak the stain, without risking damage to the floor; if it is a standard plywood sub floor, you should be ok.

First, make sure that any solid bits are removed. I would then very liberally soak the stain; let it sit for a half hour then either blot it up with towels, or if large, rinse it out with a "wet" carpet cleaner/vacuum (I have a Bissell). If this doesn't completely work, repeat the process. (12/29/2005)

By MP in Michigan

Vomit Stain on Carpet & hair

I have extra long hair--to my knees--and I went through a similar experience. You'll need to get the smell out of your nose too because the smell may be gone but for some reason extra sensitive noses can still smell it. Here's what I did, I washed with Purell Shampoo to which I added baking soda. Then I made a paste of baking soda and water and loaded it onto my hair and scalp---put a plastic shower cap or hair color cap on and wear it all night or for several hours. Wash your hair again with a shampoo to which you've added baking soda and rinse out. You might have to do this twice. It worked for me and I even used this method on the carpet. I buy the Purell shampoo at Dollar General or Family Dollar. Best of luck! (12/31/2005)

By anonymous friend

Vomit Stain on Carpet

I would use vinegar on the carpet. I would pour enough on the carpet to saturate the stained area, let it sit for a minute and then put towels over the area and step on them. If any stain is left, wipe the stain with baby wipes. I have always had luck getting stains out with wipes. (01/08/2006)

By Ann4