Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet

Vomit stains and odors can be difficult and unpleasant to remove from carpet. This is a guide about removing vomit stains from carpet.

April 10, 2013 Flag

Try Windex on carpet stains. My husband taught me this and it really works

By AJCharee

Thanks so much it works wonders

December 27, 2015 Flag

Yes! Yes! Windex worked on a pink vomit stain when OxiClean, Shout, Folex, Challenge, Ram, and Scrubbing Bubbles wouldn't touch it. So glad I found this. Yay!

October 1, 2008 Flag

How do I remove red pet food stain from a beige carpet? My cat vomited all over the carpet. I have tried peroxide and that is not removing all of the red color.

Lewis from Oklahoma City

RESOLVE for Pet Stains in spray bottle!! Great stuff!!

Thanks, everyone. I have been out of town, but I'm going to try out your suggestions today. I truly appreciate your helpful comments.

Hello,

Don't ever buy a dry pet food that has anything red in it. When they vomit that stuff it really stains light-colored carpeting. I'll try the Resolve For Pet Stains - if that doesn't work I'll try the Spot Shot, though neither have worked for me in the past on other types of pet stains. I'm desperate, any other ideas? Thank you.

Help! I have a diabetic cat that is constantly vomiting! I am in a wheelchair and it makes carpet cleaning a real chore to say the least! I have tried all of the above except the window cleaner. That's next on my list? Any other ideas? Thanks!

March 27, 2012 Flag

How do I remove dog vomit stains from my carpet?

By Janice

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would recommend this product or one like it:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3521

Blessings, Robyn

Nature's Miracle (available at pet stores) has worked for me on all kinds of pet stains & odors, as well as kid messes! Once it made the stain from a dropped plate of spaghetti & sauce completely disappear on a white carpet! It may take a few days for the stain to totally fade away, but it has always worked for me.

I have been amazed at how well plain old club soda works to clean up stains left by pets, including vomit. Clean up any solids first, then pour a little club soda on the stain. Let it set a few seconds, then use a rag (not paper towels) to scrub. If you still have a slight stain, repeat, and use some Oxyclean spray, and scrub again. Obviously, this works best on new stains.

I have been using this method for several years. Unfortunately, I have some aging animals with health problems and have had to use this method a lot lately.

July 20, 2010 Flag

Once a cat pukes on carpet and the carpet turns yellow (after only a few hours) is there any way to return the carpet to its original color? I've tried dish soap and water, and carpet cleaner. My new gray carpet still has yellow spots!

By Gayle from Lutsen, MN

Cats do love to throw up. They do it if they feel full, or have a hair ball, or for the heck of it. Their natural diet is mice so after they eat one they throw up the bones and fur. Except that they prefer cat food. First find a food with no added food color. It will be listed in the ingriedients. The tri colored dry food is the worst for staining. Take as much up as you can with a paper towel then use soap and water to wash the spot. I actually buy a bottle of rug cleaner where they rent rug doctor and dilute it. It lasts a long time. There is also a foam spray called Resolve that works well too. Just stop the food with the dyes in it.

Is the carpet discolored from the cat food or from the cleaning process? If it is from the cat food, you should be able to get this out with a good quality carpet cleaner. If it is from the cleaning process (you mentioned the stains showed up later?) than you likely have a more difficult problem.

Just be sure NOT to use bleach. You'll get rid of the stains as well as the carpet color! Oh, and change brands of cat food to one that has less added color.

Yes definitely don't buy food with colors (especially dark brown!!)

September 18, 2010 Flag

I had my six month old Basset Hound named Howlie spayed this past Monday. When she was brought home from having surgery later that day she was pretty sick from the anesthesia. That evening and all night she kept vomiting up this green bile. It was as green as grass in color. She is doing fine now.

What I would like to know is if anyone can tell me how how to get the green color out of my carpet? I have several green spots on my carpet and have tried everything I can think of. Tried shampooing it out also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rita from Weatherford, TX

Answers:

Vomit Stain on Carpet

Get some Spot Shot at Wal Mart or a similar store. I haven't found a stain yet that this product won't remove.
(05/01/2008)

By Jean from MS

Vomit Stain on Carpet

I use Simple Green and LA' Totally Awesome. The Awesome is sold at dollar stores and now I know why they call it that, it takes stains out of anything. I use all the Awesome products now, even the laundry stuff will get stains out of carpet and things! I used Simple Green because a friend I had owned a laundry business, and she said it took stains out of everything. I was not supposed to share this info as she charged for stain removal, lol. This is really yucky, too, but she said in her business, funeral homes would come in after hours and they would in the industrial washers wash the bedding that embalming and such were done on, gross! They came to her to get blood stains out of stuff she used Simple Green on a lot. Sorry to gross you out, but this stuff has power! (05/01/2008)

By KimmyLynn

Vomit Stain on Carpet

Resolve for pet stains is awesome for removing the stain and odor! I have used it for cat vomit, blood stains on our carpet and cat tree after a stray cat wounded one of our cats (he was taken to vet after I discovered the blood stains, and is A-OK now). We also had 3 big spots of kitten diarrhea when we started letting the kittens come in for winter, that a stray under our house had given birth to, all of which we have adopted and spayed-neutered. One of them must have been sick or very nervous that first couple of days, as he had several accidents before making it to the litter box, poor thing. Resolve resolved the problem, though, LOL.

You just get up all you can with a paper towel or washcloth, spray the area, wait 3 minutes, then keep wiping with a damp cloth until all of the stain and solution is gone, then allow to dry. Very easy. I never thought the area around their litter boxes would be the same, but it is. And you get it at the grocery or Wal-mart or wherever. You don't have to make a special trip to the pet store or vet. (06/02/2008)

By Connie W

July 20, 2010 Flag

I have a cat who has been throwing, which then leads to a stain in the carpet. We have a Bissell pet spot remover and we have tried other Bissell products to get the stains out and nothing seems to work. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestion.

Danielle from Orlando, FL

Answers:

Removing Vomit Stains On Carpet

Try these steps:

1. Scrape up solids with a spoon or dull knife. Blot up as much of the stain as possible with white paper towels.

2. Neutralize the stain by spraying the area with a solution of 1 tablespoon ammonia and 1 cup warm water. Do not use ammonia solution on wool carpets! Just skip down to the next step.

3. Sponge the area with a solution of 1 teaspoon mild, non-alkali detergent and 1/2 pint lukewarm water. Continue to apply detergent and blot with paper towels until the stain is removed.

4. Once the stain is removed, spray lightly with water. Place an absorbent pad over the damp area and weigh it down with a heavy object. When no more liquid is absorbed, remove the pad and allow carpet to thoroughly air dry.

5. If an odor remains after the area is dried, sprinkle the area with baking soda. Let it sit for a couple of hours, then vacuum.
source: http://blogs.findanyfloor.com/consumer/CareAndMaintenance/RemovingVomitFromCarpet.xhtml (10/16/2008)

By Ken

Removing Vomit Stains On Carpet

I had the same problem with my cat and my dog. They always seemed to get sick on my beige carpeting. Faithfully I use Woolite Carpet Cleaner with OxiClean in it. I really saturate the spot and it has worked every time. Even when my dog got some "dodo" on the beige carpeting. Good luck! (11/08/2008)

By MLP89

Removing Vomit Stains On Carpet

I have found that you let the stain dry if possible. Then dab a bit of 91% rubbing alcohol on a white rag and gently rub the carpet. Keep rubbing onto stain until gone The 91% rubbing alcohol works much much better than the 70% kind, so be careful to buy the correct formulation. Hope this helps. Qwner of 5 cats! (12/04/2008)

By Janine

Removing Vomit Stains On Carpet

I have white carpet and use straight hydrogen peroxide on the stain and it works almost every time. Some dry cat foods leave a faint yellow stain so I'm going to try the shaving cream suggestion to see if that works. (02/10/2010)

By freebiedee

October 16, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

April 30, 2008 Flag
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetMarch 31, 2012
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
Cleaning a Leather Couch
Vomit on a Leather Couch
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
🎉
🎄