Saving Money At The Supermarket

Sandy Baker

Did you know that American's spend more than 2/3 of their monthly food budget on stuff they really do not need, stuff that is not healthy for them and overpriced products? If you are one of these people, you may be wondering what it is that is so bad that is getting into your cart. To help you to save money at the grocery store, you will want to make sure to follow these rules from the start. If you follow them, you will cut your budget down considerably.

• Don't go without a list. If you walk into the grocery store after a long, hard day at work, you are tired, not thinking clearly and you will pick up things you do not need and should not waste the money on. Before you go, write out a basic menu for the next few days to a week. Buy only the items on your menu. You can cut your budget in half like this in many cases. Just stick to the list.

• Don't shop when you are hungry. This is a subconscious game your mind is playing. If you shop when you are hungry, you are more likely to actually spend more, even 50% more!

• Walk the walls at the supermarket. You will find the produce section, the deli, the meats and the dairy section lining the walls of your supermarket, in most cases. Avoid heading down those costly aisles of prepackaged foods and over priced items. You can find just about everything you need around the walls. If you avoid those middle aisles, you can save 25-75% of your budget, depending on what you normally purchase.

• Keep the kids at home, or entertained. If the kids can not stay at home, why not have them busy. Bring along a doll or a book for them to look at. If they are busy, they are not asking for various things they do not need.

• Shop for loss leaders. These are the products that are on sale that the company is taking a loss on to sell you. Make sure to purchase only things that you really do like and use. You do not save money on a coupon of something you will never actually use.

One of the biggest ways for you to save money on products of all sorts is to have a price book. Purchase a small pocket notebook and write in the prices of the products you purchase. Then, jot down next to it the price that you pay regularly, on sale and at various stores. This way, you can easily spot when something really is a bargain and when something really is only being advertised. This can also help you to select which supermarket to visit too.

Taking the time to follow these tips can help you to save substantial dollars at your local supermarket. If you take just a few minutes to plan, you can have more money at the end of the month. For most people, the food budget is the single most important item to cut down on a budget to have more funds. How can you save?

About The Author: Sandy Baker is a freelance writer for a variety of online newsletters. She is a published writer who regularly provides useful tips that people can use to better their lives. Contact her at ContentBySandy@verizon.net

Sandy: Our Supermarket now has a playroom with an attendent for the children. It's at the front of the store, so you don't even need to walk through the store to get to it. Drop off your kids, and then pick them up after you checkout. I love it and so do the kids!

Instead of taking a book with you, let the kids help shop if they are old enough. I would tell the kids an item and they would look for the item and find the best buy.

I look for alternatives to the store or "store hopping", for instance, I don't go to "big stores" to buy things I can get in Dollar stores or the supermarket, like shaving stuff and batteries. Sometimes it is the same or a little less expensive in price. I also avoid the "big store" pharmacy, and chose one with a drive thru so I don't have to take the kids in and out of the store (we used to spend more money on snacks while waiting for prescriptions!) Now that I get all my heavy housecleaning supplies from Shaklee, I get better results for my money, and don't have to spend money on extra gas and stress!

Budget & Finance ShoppingMay 4, 2006
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Wii console and controllers
Saving Money on a Wii
bacon in a package
Freezing Bacon
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
🎄