Making Bagels Softer on the Outside

I made my first batch of bagels. They came out great on the inside (soft and chewy), but a little hard on the outside. From the recipe below, how can I modify it to make the outside softer? Thanks.

Recipe (makes 8 bagels)

• 4 cups of bread flour
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1.5 Tbsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp yeast
  • 1.25 to 1.50 cups of warm water

Mix all in a bowl, knead for 10 minutes, cut into 8 balls. Let rest for 10 - 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 425. Roll balls into bagel shape. Rest bagels for 20 minutes. Boil bagels for one minute on each side. Dry for one minute. Bake 10 minutes each side. Cool at least 20 minutes.

Thank you.

By John from Saint Augustine, FL

I suggest to steam them just before you serve them. Heat some water in a pan,put a rack over it. Place bagels on rack covered with a clean cloth. Let steam a few minutes, until soft. Good luck.

A good authentic bagel is supposed to be a bit hard or chewy. If you insist on a softer bagel, try baking at a lower temperature like 375.

The reason that you boil them is to make the outside harder and the inside chewy. If you don't want then hard on the outside then don't boil them but then they will be more like a roll. You could try to boil for a smaller amount of time but like OliveOyl said authentic bagels are supposed to be hard on the outside and soft on the inside.

Placing them in the microwave for 10 seconds before serving moistens the crust which makes it softer ;-) I do this one at a time (because I live alone) so you'll have to experiment with the length of time for more.

Hard Bagels
Softening Hard Bagels
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads AdviceNovember 15, 2009
A variety of bagels.
Freezing Bagels
Bagels
Storing Bagels
Soft Feet
Tips for Softer Feet
Bagel with smoked salmon.
Recipes Using Bagels
🎄