Refrigerator and Freezer Advice

I am in the process of planning a major remodel of my home. I am working on my kitchen plans now. I can't decide which style of refrigerator to choose. I've always had the basic top door freezer/bottom door cold fresh food style. Some folks prefer the side-by-sides, others the split upper doors with a pull out bottom freezer drawer. Has anyone out there had the opportunity to use two or three of the styles in the past few years? I would like to hear some candid commentary on what they like and hate and why.

What is convenient and what is a pain in the neck? I'm also considering trading a nice big chest deep freeze for an upright model. It would save some floor space for me but are they as handy as a chest freezer, or is it vice versa?
Also, what brands are reliable these days? It used to be Maytag, but maybe not anymore! I'm hoping to hear lots of opinions and tips. I think the folks who post here are the smartest (and nicest) on the planet!

Grandma Margie from Central Missouri

I personally prefer the upright to the chest freezer. I'm short and got tired of almost falling into the freezer every time I wanted something that was on the bottom and usually thats where everything I wanted ended up.

I've had all three kinds of refrigerators and if you have the space, I recommend the side by side.

I know 2 people who have side-by-side refrigerators & they hate them because you can't even put in a frozen pizza box in the freezer. It's not wide enough to be able to put frozen items in!

I'm with Duckie...I am only 4ft. 10in. and can never reach things in the bottom of a chest type deep freeze without getting IN TO the freezer! I purchased an upright freezer that is only about 4ft 5 in. tall from an appliance store called "Appliance Direct" for $125 about 2 years ago and have been so glad that I did!! The ONLY suggestion I would offer is pay a little more and get one that is frost free. Mine isn't and defrosting is a real pain! Mine used to sit in our garage (we live in Central Florida) and defrosting simply meant turn it off, open the freezer door and the garage door and let it go. Now, we are in an apartment and I'm dreading the time (which is coming soon) to defrost it!

As for fridges...I always wanted a side by side with ice and water in the door. While they are beautiful to look at, I didn't find them very practical in reality UNLESS you also have a seperate freezer. The ice & water in the door take up a lot of necessary space and unless you buy one of a bigger size, it is very difficult to fit a decent frozen pizza in them!

Just my .02 worth! Happy shopping!

God Bless,

Sheila in Titusville, FL

I had the side by side fridge and there was no freezer space to speak of, but of course with you having a deep freezer it wouldnt be as big and issue. I just got my first one, its the chest style, I am so happy, I want to go shopping and fill it up. Anyway, I want a new fridge next and I definetly want one with the bottom drawer freezer.

I've had the traditional 'freezer over frig' style and the freezer on the bottom style of refrigerator. I'm devoted to the freezer on the bottom. Think about it; you're in the frig several times a day vs. once or twice into the freezer so why stand on your head to see what's in there?

I have an upright side by side fridge/freezer. Spent about $1300 on it. Not happy. The post freon era of fridges makes them depend on air circulation and they provide access through the short end of the rectangle. Can't fit a pizza box in the fridge part and digging the frozen items out of the small end of a rectangular shelf in the freezer is annoying.

When it breaks I am going to check into:

1) the side by side that has a jog in the freezer/fridge line to permit pizza boxes in the fridge and

2) the fridge style with 2 doors and freezer on the bottom

I don't have the need often to store large casseroles nor pizza boxes in the fridge, but when it does happen, I mutter under my breath about the engineer who designed my fridge and the corporate associates who approved it. Obviously none of them actually used this model fridge before putting it into action.

We also currently have a separate freezer in the garage, upright and self defrosting.

i've done a lot of research on this subject. you see, i am a cheapo! what i've found is that a bottom freezer/ top fridge is the most efficient to run b/c colder air (aka: as in the freezer) naturally is heavier and sinks, while the "warmer" air (aka: in the fridge) rises. so it just makes sense to build a combo unit this way.

additionally, i have learned that a chest freezer is way cheaper to run than an upright model, although maybe not as easy to access. you have to decide where your priorities lie, ie: asthetics, space and physical comfort or cost. hope this helps.

Refrigerator and Freezer Advice

I am from the old school, I prefer the top freezer 'fridge. My daughter loves the side by side 'fridge, however I hate them! I find the shelves too narrow; for me anyway! As far as a separate freezer, I prefer my upright freezer.

Syd

We just bought a new fridge and had this exact debate. We previously had a top freezer bottom fridge type always but longed for ice and water in the door. We ended up buying a Maytag side by side and we love the ice and water but find the freezer space to be pitiful. We have another upright freezer in the basement so I guess I will just have to trek up and down. The fridge side is pretty good size. We would've liked a bigger model i.e. 25 cu.ft. but had to settle for a 22 cu ft. due to the space we had to put it into. Make sure you measure well if there are cabinets above it. We were told that the Maytag was #1 in reliability/quality for 8 years in a row. That could be just lipservice though. Time will tell. Our last fridge though, a Kenmore, lasted only 5 years and we always thought Sears products were the best.

TC in MO

We moved into a house with a refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom. I absolutely hate it. It is a pain to get ice out, or anything else for that matter. I have to sit on the floor. I had always had the freezer on the top model before and would definately go back to that model.

I have been shopping around for a new refrigerator myself. I went to a lot of stores, spoke to a lot of sales people and also many friends. The one I and others really liked was the LG french door, freezer on the bottom. It fits large pans and bowls. The side compartments fit gallon drink containers. It has water and ice on the door. Best Buy seemed to have the best deals. Gary Dominicus

Hi, I am going to purchase a fridge with the freezer on the bottom. There are two options and I'd like to know what is preferred. Do you like the freezer on bottom that opens as a drawer, or the other option where it opens like a fridge door.

Just want some opinions before I make up my mind.

Thanks!

Consumer Advice Product Reviews Kitchen RefrigeratorsMarch 19, 2007
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
🎄