Attach Flowers To Hummingbird Feeders

Often my hummingbirds visit before the flowers are out in bloom. Sometimes they need a little extra help remembering where the feeders are. I use the silk and plastic Poinsettia flowers from my outside Christmas decor to help them spot the feeders. I either fasten the flowers to the pole that the feeder is on or I weave them to the wire fence nearby. The extra bright colors draw the little hummers in to a fresh and tasty snack.

By the time the hummers have been here all summer, the flowers have faded a little so I purchase one or two new Poinsettias to add to the Christmas decor the next winter. Usually I buy these at the local dollar store. I have had several comments of the "varied coloring" of my special Poinsettia decorations! It usually takes four or five years before I actually have to throw any of the Poinsettias away.

By Dawn from Ann Arbor, MI

I tie some red bows to the feeder and that draws them, too.

That is so funny: My husband and I have been at my father in law's for a month. It is harder for him to get around at 80.

Anyway, he had one of the wire block things that seed cakes go in. I did the same thing. I bought a seed cake for it and put small artificial red poinsettias on the wire.

My father in law said what is that red that is hanging out there. I told him what it was and sure enough the birds came for a visit. Great minds think alike!

Happy Bird Watching!

A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesJuly 27, 2011
Protecting a Hummingbird Feeder from Rain
Hummingbird Feeder
Buying Hummingbird Feeders
Hummingbird Nest
Identifying a Hummingbird Nest
Hummingbird Feeder
Cleaning a Hummingbird Feeder