Bobbin Getting Tangled

My sewing machine was working fine until I took the plate off to clean out the dust and stuff underneath it. When I put everything back on and turned my machine back on and started to sew the bobbin started pulling and jamming. Then I have to pull out the fabric and it has a lot of thread on the bottom like it is pulling lots of thread. The machine keeps stopping. What did I do? Can anyone help.

By Donna from FL

If this happens on my Elna it means that the Bobbin is either in, upside down, OR I have NOT threaded the feed from the spool of thread properly. Often it will do this on its own.

Thanks for all the comments. I cleaned out as recommended and it still wasn't working. Turns out I was using the wrong settings. Thanks again for all the advice. Super helpful.

What do you mean, wrong settings? I am having the same problem. Please help.

The different settings refer to the upper tension wheel, the lenght of stitch, the width (if doing zig zag or anything other than straight/running stitches) and the pressure of the peddle. The settings differ depending on what material you use. Hopefully if you have a manual for your machine it will give you a chart of guidelines of what are the best settings to use. You should be able to find the manual online if you don't have one.

Great that you figured it out. But for the rest of us, what are the correct settings? I have been sewing for 50 years, I am not a dummy, but I am ready to throw this piece of xxxx into the river.

Please see answer above. Note; you can tell if Bobbin is upside down (in wrong) if the thread is NOT turning counterclockwise. Must turn counterclockwise. Also, make sure that you have not inadvertently bumped the tension adjuster. Helps if we know the make of the machine, as adjustments differ on each brand. Cheers!

I have had this happen occasionally, but not enough to be bothered about it. After about 60 years of sewing almost everything, it took me until about 10 years ago to discover that you definitely shouldn't start a seam at the very edge of the fabric. Whenever I would do that I would end up with the thread and edge of seam "gnarly". Then one day I read that to prevent that from happening you should start sewing about 1/4" in from the edge of the fabric. It's amazing what that does.