Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Neutering a Pit Bull

My daughter has a 2 yr. old Pit bull. If she has him neutered now will it calm him down any? He is beginning to show some aggression.

Judy from Leighton, Al

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By banana cakes03/10/2011

Pits are my favorite breed and I have raised them for years, but blaming every incidence of violence on the owner is ignorant. We have trained ours to be nothing but sweet, but when he sees other dogs or when he is riding in the car or in the yard he is very very protective. He also spent most of his puppy hood playing well with other dogs, by about 10 months he became very dog aggressive and is no longer friendly toward any dog. We have been to training classes and they don't help either.

By yessy [5]11/28/2009

Well if the dog is showing some aggression, it wont hurt to neuter him, but neutering him won't stop the actions that he has already learned. It will AID lessen (not delete) the aggression.

I have 2 male pits 1 year and 1 year 3 months. i got them last year and quickly have recently learned that i should not have gotten the same sex for there to be more peace. I am lucky that my younger pit is very passive and more playful than anything and the older one is just dominant to the core, and somewhat of a bully to his brother.

I neutered only the older one (Ricco) since he was the more dominant one and was beating up on his brother (Ace Boogie) a little too much and at first I didn't see any change, but now i do see that the over dominance has calmed down, but it may also be that Ace Boogie is now way bigger than Ricco and his size is controlling the matter, because in the past 3 weeks they have gotten into more than just a little fight, with blood spilling from Ace Boogie's and Riccos ear the first time and the second time Ricco coming out with bite wounds, so I think I have no choice but to neuter Ace Boogie soon.

In reference to Demita P's post I had to take my dogs to obedience class for 8 weeks at Petsmart and was happy i did so. i could not control them when I tried taking them for walks so i stopped and of course, they were so hyper. with guidance i bought one harness (with much hesitation because it was $30!) and I saw immediate results with the pulling.

It worked so well that I bought another one, but just got a harness/seatbelt which was cheaper($20) than the regular harness and does the same job When you are walking them and they go crazy at a dog immediately turn back and go the other way, once they have calmed down turn around and continue on your walk. Pits are very smart and yes it takes patience, they will get the point and at least calm down a little more. Hope I was of some help

By Demita P. (Guest Post)02/26/2009

I have a bluenose pit bull that is not neutered yet. He's been is training class for the basic commands, but he seems run crazy sometime around the yard. He loves to jump when he see me. When we go on walks. We walk by house all dogs on the street just go crazy barking. Is this a sign that my dog is giving off a scent for other male dogs and female dogs. Is this a sign that my dog is going into heat.

By brudis (Guest Post)02/25/2009

At what age can you get a pitt bull fixed.

By Stephanie (Guest Post)10/31/2008

I have a one year old pittie that is in heat and I am taking him to get fixed on Tuesday. I will let you know if he calms down. The proof will be in the pudding, and I hope he does. I'm sure he will.

By Stephanie (Guest Post)02/24/2008

I have a 3 year old all white male Pit Bull and he is going to have the surgery in April. I am mad at myself for waiting for so long, ( had him since he was 5 weeks old), but I am glad I will be doing it now. Ihave 2 other dogs in the house as well, and he loves them both, but my Chihuahua attacks him, and she is only 2 pounds... lol anyway, he is aggressive towards almost every other dog outside of the house, so I am hoping he will be a little calmer once he gets altered.

In my opinion, there are way too many breeders out there, and not enough homes for any animal for that matter, let alone the poor dogs/cats in shelters.

I have had a Cocker Spaniel, Chihuahua, I have had birds, cats, hamsters, a hedgehog, newts, and I really think that Pit Bulls make the best dogs because they are more eager to learn, and very eager to please, and are way more attentive. I LOVE PIT BULLS!

RE: Neutering a Pit Bull

By Annie Rios Hill [12]11/04/2007

Aggression can be caused by too much meat in the diet.
My friend gave her dogs some rolled meat products purchased
in pet stores made for dogs. Well she did not feed canned food or much dry food. She took her dog to vet for costly$$$ testing to find she was giving too much meat
and within a month of adjusting diet her dog was better.
Yes neuter your dog. Too many dogs in shelters and many
areas do not allow Pit bulls in. I know not all pit
bulls are bad unfortuanately the breed has had some bad
owners.

By dhall11/01/2007

Neuter the dog regardless of whether he will calm down. With the growing number of Pits (and dogs in general) in shelters (most of whom are destroyed), it's simply the responsible thing to do. If you cannot afford to get him neutered through your vet, there are less expensive "clinics" (or call your local Humane Society, SPCA, or local rescue group to see if they will do it for a nominal fee).

By Maryeileen [76]10/25/2007

It might help calm him down but it will definitely be healthier for him.

By rae (Guest Post)10/24/2007

Neuting will help but you might also need to look at his diet to see if there is anything that is making him cranky and training. Our blue cross had an intolerance to the food we were giving her. A change of diet helped, but a strict training course really helped. We also had to be very careful about making sure she knew we were the leaders of the back and also making sure that if we had visitors that she came in on a leash, said hello to everyone and then was put outside with some biscuits.

Good luck

By Jennifer Nelson [1]10/24/2007

I would never, never force a pet to go through life unaltered unless I was a top breeder, it is not fair to them. You will have a much happier companion pet with neutering and spaying.

Aggression is one of the dangers of some un-neutered breeds, but I would suggest, in addition to neutering, to have a talk with the vet and a trainer.

Good luck, please keep us posted!

Jennifer
Northern Virginia

By Nerm (Guest Post)10/24/2007

I neutered my dogs at five months old in the hopes it would calm them down and it did not. I've been managing them for ten years now and wish I had invested more time in strenuous training instead of depending on the neuter to do the job. We all would have been happier. Train, train, train!

By Lynn (Guest Post)10/23/2007

My husband is a vet and he tells people the only thing a neuter ALWAYS does is keep them from making babies! It does sometimes calm them down but you shouldn't count too much on it.

By Amy [3]10/22/2007

Neutering almost always calms them down, I don't believe it's ever caused a male to become more aggressive. It decreases the amount of testosterone in the animal's body, and that chemical is responsible for aggression. It will take a while after he is neutered to become calmer, maybe a month or so, so don't wait!