Grow Plants from Cuttings

I have had good success in growing many things from cuttings, like hibiscus and frangipani (plumeria), by dipping the stem in honey and putting the cutting into sandy potting mix mixed 50/50. If the weather is cold to cool, a plastic bag over the pot gives a hothouse style of growing.

Hydrangeas grow easily from cuttings too. Make sure there is a least 3 eyes (leaf nodes). The bottom one should be placed in the soil (I use potting mix) and this is where the roots will grow from, Also cutting off any large leaves is important so all of the plants energy can go to making roots.

Source: This was information from my mother who was an avid gardener

By Roslyn from Morley, WA

Now this comment about using honey as a rooting hormone is very, very interesting! I do a lot of rooting and I use a lot of honey, but never the two together! Needless to say, I'll be trying it come spring! I also use 50/50 sand potting soil. I think the potting soil alone holds entirely too much moisture!

I bought this Rose of Sharon (L'il Kim)) in October and took some cuttings off it. I had 12 to take! I have 10 Rose of Sharon in my yard and am considering a 'forest' of RoS. I have lavender, pure white, red, white with maroon center, white with maroon centers and petal tips. Thanks for the 'honey' tip. I'll check it out in spring and let you know how it worked for me.

I have never heard of the honey thing either. I am going to try it come spring also. Mudcrawler do you know if you can use it successfully on hydrangeas?

Laniegirl, it was Rosalyn that posted the initial info about using honey as a rooting medium. I've never heard of it, much less tried it! But I will be trying it in spring of 2011. I do know that hydrangea is very, very easy to root. I root 25 to 30 each year and give them to family/friends.

A cutting of a plant growing in a clay pot.
Starting Plants from Cuttings
Home and Garden Gardening CuttingsDecember 6, 2010
Christmas Cactus
Starting a Christmas Cactus from Cuttings
Rooting Impatiens Cuttings
Rooting Impatiens Cuttings
spider plant in flask
Rooting Plants in Water
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
🎉
🎄