Marked Down Onions and Peppers - Categories:

Grocery ShoppingShopping

Marked Down Onions and Peppers

Many times our supermarkets mark large quantities of fresh onions and peppers to such a low price that you can't afford to not take advantage of the purchase. I found fresh peppers at 50 cents per lb. and fresh onions at 20 cents per pound. I washed, sliced and diced them then packaged and labeled them in freezer bags. This coming winter I will have oodles of both to enjoy at a substantial savings.

By Joesgirl

Our local "Superstore" also has reduced vegetables. I also buy, at half price, (besides peppers) broccoli, cauliflower and mushrooms. I haven't frozen zucchini slices and I use fresh onions from the garden that are hanging from the ceiling over the freezer in mesh bags (that oranges come in). Cut the vegetables up into bite size pieces and freeze (I don't blanch them). I freeze them in clear bags and then don't bother labeling the bags. When I want to do a stirfry I grab the bags of vegetables I want and a little olive oil, frozen parsley (from last year's garden), some oregano, maybe some salt, some minced garlic and voila...easy to make and easy on the pocketbook.

Each time I go to the store I always check the reduced cart, because you don't know when each kind of fruit or vegetable will be reduced. Grapes can also be frozen. Don't buy reduced peaches because if there is one bad spot, it seems that the whole peach is bad. Whereas a bad spot on a nectarine can be cut off and the rest is okay. Reduced bananas can be dried, mashed and frozen in bags ready for use in certain amts ready for that special recipe or frozen whole (if you have the room in your freezer).

I find it fun and yes, sometimes challenging to work with groceries day in and day out. But it is worth the time to explore the stores for deals. We all only have a certain amount of money to work with and if I, personally, can save money on some portion of the grocery bill then there is money that can be spent on other things (I can just see my teenager's open hands....:)

Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingOctober 13, 2004
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Peeling Bell Peppers
Selecting Good Bell Peppers
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Storing Bell Peppers
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 4:58:02 AM on 10.0.1.242 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.