Polish Peasant Recipes

Just wanted to share a real "peasant" side dish that I started making again as it is cheap and just plain good! My grandmother was Polish and would make this for us:

Cabbage And Noodles

Cook 8 oz of wide egg noodles according to package directions and drain. While they are cooking shred about a half of a small head of cabbage coarsely ( I just use a knife) and set aside. Melt 1/2 stick butter or margarine in skillet and toss in the cabbage. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook until crisp tender and add a pinch of sugar, stirring until slightly golden. Add noodles and stir.

I serve this as is, but I know it can be served with sour cream and or poppy or caraway seeds, as well.

Here is a meal I came up with that we love!

Sausage and Pierogies

Place rope sausage (however much you like, I use a pound and a half or so) in crockpot. Our preference is Italian sweet, but use what you like. Cover with a jar of spaghetti sauce, set on high for about 4 hours or low if you are making it in the morning, which is what I do. When it is done it will melt in your mouth!

Cook frozen pierogies as directed. Drain. Place 3 Tablespoons (more or less:) butter or margarine in a skillet until melted. Saute pierogies until golden brown.

Add a green veggie and you are set! We are currently on a cabbage kick as it is so cheap right now and, believe it or not, buttered cabbage (cooked as in the earlier recipe minus the noodles) is AMAZING with this.

Enjoy thrifty friends :)

By joynchocolate from Landisville, PA

I love cabbage and noodles! The only difference in my recipe is I saute onions, then throw in the cabbage.

Don't even get me started on a pierogi conversation...they come in a close second! (I fry kielbasa and then onions and pierogies)

Any chance you remember the name of the Cabbage and Noodles dish in Polish?

OK, I am going to spell it phonetically, since I have never seen it in writing. My grandmother called it halushki. Also, I forgot to mention I serve the sausage and sauce over the pierogies, kind of a cross cultural meal :) I have made pierogies myself, and they are surprisingly easy to make and so good!

I'm 100% polish and I can tell you first hand, the cabbage and noodles is delicious. I like to buy the Reim's Noodles in the green and white bag and your grocer's freezer section. They are as close to home made as you can get. Personally, I do not care for the purchased Perrogi. I prefer to make my own and since they are time consuming to make, I only make them at Christmas time. My favorite is using the dry cottage cheese with a lot of sauteed onion.

My mother told me that she ate a lot of cabbage & noodles when money was scarce during her youth - and she agreed to make it only once for me (it was absolutely delish) - and never again. I should have gotten the recipe, did not think of it at the time - too late now. Been searching for recipes ever since. Considering my family's background, this one would have been of a Romania/Hungary/ Russia origin depending on from whom the recipe might have originated. First quarter of the 20th century. This recipe sounds the closest to what I recall being served. She might have put in a couple of carrot shreds for color and she used to sprinkle paprika, onion and garlic powder on everything.

Could someone post a good recipe for pierogies?

Here you go tenkill. This is the pierogi recipe I use and I hope you enjoy them!

Dough:

2 c flour

1 tsp salt

salt and pepper

water to form dough

Filling:

2 cups prepared mashed potatoes

1/2 cup cheese, shredded

Mix dough ingredients adding water until dough is manageable, but not sticky. Roll out dough on floured surface about 1/4" or so thick. Cut in circles with biscuit cutter or floured glass. Mix filling ingredients and place a tsp of filling in center of each circle. Fold pierogi in half like a half moon and press edges with a fork to seal. Meanwhile boil a large pot of water. Drop pierogies in water until they rise to the top, then drain. Pan fry in butter until golden, if desired.

Note: you can also saute shredded cabbage with a little onion and a dash of sugar until golden and use that as a filling. Yummy!

Food and Recipes Recipes InternationalAugust 7, 2009
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
🎄
🍂