Cleaning Oil Stains from Car Carpets

We have a new car and the carpets are tan, we want to keep them up so we can sell the car in a couple of years. Any tips for getting out stains? I think its oil stains from workers boots and some general dirt.

Robin from Marietta,GA

Hi Robin! On the 6th of November, Kay from Toronto posted a tip to use Spray and Wash on carpet stains ( ). I tried it on some old very dark stains on my carpet and Bingo! No more stains. Great tip from Kay!

My husband uses brake clean on any grease or oil spots on the carpets of the truck. I have even used it on a grease spot in the house on the carpet and it worked great.

I realize this is an older post, but I swear by this method:

Clean out as much as you can out of the car...the carpet protectors, removeable storage between the seats etc.

Then, get the hose (yes, the garden hose) and turn on to a slow to medium stream. Soak the carpets and liberally pour liquid dish soap all over. Use a scrub brush (like the kind you use on tubs or tires) and scrub the carpet, lightly on less soiled spot, heavier on more soiled. Borrow, use your own, or buy a wet/dry vacuum and remember to take the paper filter out. Vacuum out as much water as possible (you'll get more than you think out) and resoak the carpets. Repeat vacuuming. Remember to dump the vac occasionally (great for flowerbed water). Usually after a couple passes, you'll get the carpet almost bone dry. I usually leave the windows partly down to let it finish air drying.

The price, I think, for a wet/dry vac doesnt outweight the benefits of owning one...I bought my 50 gal for about $40US at a garage sale. Cleaning my auto carpets instead of replacing them saved me a twenty bucks first time i used it.

What I've managed to get out by this method:

soda stains, burnt engine oil, ice cream, kool-aid, chocolate, tea, coffee, brake fluid, trasmission fluid, various other unidentifiable auto part fluids, dirt, restaurant hood exhaust grease, lipstick, crayon and various candy leftovers.

The previous owner of our last truck used it to transport auto parts, both in the bed and cab. It took three applications to finally get all of the stains out. Several months after we bought it, the owner asked us if he could take a look at it and make us an offer. He swore we had replaced the carpet and offered us $500 over what he originally sold it to us for.

Home and Garden Cleaning AutoNovember 14, 2007
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet