Remedies for Thin Hair

There are many reasons for thin, limp hair. This is a guide about remedies for thin hair.

A woman looking at the ends of her damaged hair.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My hair is very thin and fine. I am over 60 and past menopause, which I have heard can make your hair this way, although it has always been thin. What can I do to give my hair volume and control? I do not color, perm or blow dry. I use Shimmer Lights shampoo to highlight the silver but other than that my hair air dries with nothing else to damage it. Help!

beachlifer from Lincoln City, OR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know if it will thicken your hair but it definitely helps more hair to grow. It is a supplement/vitamin called Biotin. I had an incident where I lost a patch of hair on the top of my head. When the scares healed it was a bare spot about the size of a peanut butter lid. I have been taking Biotin and now it is about the size of a dime (maybe even smaller).

I know Biotin helps hair to be stronger and it help strengthen finger nails as well. And Biotin isn't expensive.. for that matter it is really cheap from places like Puritan Pride. You will also find it in most multivitamin but the dosage is small.

Read More Answers...

I have fine, very straight hair. I would like to know which root lift products are best for giving it more lift and volume. I do use volume shampoos and they help.

By jch

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have fine/thin hair. I have tried every type of product out there without much success. The best product(s) for me with the fine/thin hair are the Chi Magnified Volume line (purple containers). This includes the finishing spray, shampoo, conditioner, and spray foam. I bought a travel size package with the products from TJ Maxx about 2 months ago for $15. I was and am still happy with the volume I get from using all 4. They run about $16 each for the normal sizes. I buy them online at Folica (they seem to have good sales) or at TJ Maxx if I can find them.

If you try one, I would try the Chi Magnified Spray Foam. I spray a little on my hands and rub through my hair and style with a round brush and blow dryer. It is amazing how my hair holds a style, shiny, and has volume now. The shampoo, conditioner, and finishing spray are fantastic products. You can feel the volume with the shampoo. The conditioner does not weigh down your hair (use only a small amount). The finishing spray keeps a hold and is very light. My hair is very easy to style with the Chi Magnified Volume products - haven't had a bad hair day since I started using them!

Read More Answers...

When one of my daughters was little, she had very wispy, very fine hair. A pharmacist recommended Biotin (back then - more than 20 years ago - they were tiny white pills. Now, they are huge!). I dosed her up and her hair improved. Now, as a 25 year old, she has beautiful long thick healthy hair.

By Leeza

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My mom's hair is really starting to fall out from chemotherapy. She doesn't want to get a wig(this climate's very hot and humid and wigs can be uncomfortable). Do those horse shampoos really make hair look thicker? They're kind of expensive and mom doesn't want to try until she knows. Or does anybody know of another solution? Any help would be appreciated.

Joan from Chesapeake, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The best for losing hair is nioxim shampoo, it'll really work!

Read More Answers...

My daughter is 8 years old and she has very fine, thin hair. It grows slowly and breaks, it does not grow long. Please give me advice. I sometimes think maybe it might be the shampoo that's too strong for her.

By Milla

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your shampoo has very little to do with the growth of your hair. I would look more into her diet. Eating healthy will help her hair. If she is not eating well, it will take approximately 3 months to notice a change after you improve her diet. As far as the length, we all have different growth rates and different lengths to which our hair will grow.

Read More Answers...

Being 77 year old, my hair is thinning. I can't afford Joan Rivers Cosmetic Hair Color to fill in the thinning area so I tried using my dry powder eyebrow color on my scalp, just like she does on her TV ad. It did a pretty good job of coverage. My hair is light brown almost dark blond.

By Shirley from Mesa, AZ

What can I use for my hair to make it thicker. I have tried everything I see that's a hair thickening product, but no results. I'm feeling so hopeless when it comes to my hair. Everything I try seems to me that I'm only wasting my money on hopeless capsules and treatments. Please help. My hair is so thin that you can even see my scalp. It's very embarrassing for me to go out when I'm looking like this. It breaks my heart. Please tell me what to mix or anything. Please, I'm very desperate. I have straight hair, but it's too thin.

By Casline from South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have been using this product for a year now and have had wonderful results. I bought it at Fantastic Sams. I have actual pictures of my results if you would like to see them. Use only this, nothing else, and I mean nothing other than this and it will probably work for you too ! http://www.amazon.com/DS-Laboratori ... hampoo/dp/B00BSFDUL2/ref=pd_sbs_bt_5

Read More Answers...

My hair is too thin. How do I thicken it?

By wowhotnews

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello, if you want the hair to look thick. I suggest you use the hair extension, this hair extension can't hurt our hair, and it also makes your hair thick.

Read More Answers...

I am wondering if there is anything that I can take or use that will help my hair grow thicker or longer. Ever since my hysterectomy my hair has gotten thinner and has slowed down on its growth some. I would like my hair to be longer and thicker then it is. Thanks for any help that you can give.

Cathy from Grand Rapids, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've had huge hair loss for year and a half since my hysterectomy. It seems to have slowed now. My brother, Father and two grandfathers were/are bald, so I am assuming its the lack of female hormone; allowing male hormone to dominate, Just curious,to all the other women mentioned, Are the male members of their family bald? Could you let us know please?

Read More Answers...

I think I need a perm as my hair is very thin and fine. However is perming hair bad for falling hair? Will perming hair cause further loss? I need volume at the top to conceal my scalp. Wearing a wig is uncomfortable for hot weather conditions and it looks unreal.

By Tan BH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How a wig looks will depend on the style. I never spend more than $50.00 on a wig and when I wear them I get lots of compliments from people I know thinking I have been to a beauty shop and had a complete new hair do, including color change, because my hair is dark brown and I have a couple different shades of red wigs and a couple different shades of blonde wigs. I am 74 and have very little grey in my natural color. As to an answer about perms, you will have to talk to a hair stylist that you are familiar with and that you trust.

Does the use of horse shampoo such as Equiline cause greying of hair when used on humans? If it does what causes it? Is there a specific way to use horse shampoos for the treatment of thin and falling hair as when I used it it made my hair very hard?

By Z.E from Johannesburg, SA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Horse shampoo is for horse hair. No shampoo, human or otherwise, is going to cause gray hair or thicken fine or thin hair. The color of hair is genetically determined as is texture and thickness and the only things that will possibly change that is applying hair color or your physical health or medications.

Read More Answers...

Does anyone know of something that really works and is really good to plump up thinning hair in women?

By Sharon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I live in the U.K, would I be able to buy that here? Many thanks.

Read More Answers...

I have thin, lifeless, hair with no body. I wear it short. Does anybody have any suggestions to give body to my hair?

Thqnks,
Judy Fom Texas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

bottle of IPA 70% rub with cotton balls and then apply sulfur 8 medicated on scalp. IPA does the cleaning and opens the fol

Read More Answers...

I once had thick shoulder length hair, but I have lost most of my hair and its thickness due to hair extension glue. I have been trying to grow it back, but no results. Please help.

By Sal

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I never know why women add that crap to their hair, My oldest daughter does this often and I have warm her so much about the damage she does to her hair.

Try washing your hair with hair conditioner only, and skip the shampoo for a couple of months, this will help with the breakage. I don't know of anything that will help with thinning hair. you might want to consult your doctor about that.

Read More Answers...

Due to an allergic reaction, I have had some thin patches in my hair which are growing back in. In the meantime, I find that when I apply strong black coffee to the area, my scalp is tinted a light brown, which blends in with my hair and disguises the thin section! This is only temporary, but might help if you want to disguise thinning hair where the white scalp shows through the thin hair! Its working for me.

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am a middle-aged woman. Does anyone have tricks to camophlage thinning hair on the top (crown) and front hairline? I know this can be a hereditary condition, but has anyone ever heard of it being caused by wearing a baseball cap a lot? In the summer I've been wearing a cap to ward off the sun and in the winter to keep warm, even in the house. It just got to where I would feel so cozy with the hat on, I just left it on. I have tried Toppik, a fiber-type substance you shake on the scalp and hair and it blends the scalp and hair. It works well, but can be messy. Making the hair itself look thicker is no problem.

There are shampoos and products to add volume that work really well. It's when you can see the scalp in such contrast to the hair. I was wondering about using a self-tanner on the scalp where the hair is thin. Do you think it could work? Any other tricks? My hair is brown - would blond hi-lights, especially in the thin areas, disract the eye and give the illusion of hair? Please help with your ideas or experience.

Thanks,

Clevergirl from Westchester, NY

Answers:

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

I have heard that hats cause baldness in men and women, but I wonder if that's just a myth. I like Sauve Professionals Thick and Full shampoo and conditioner. I also spray my hair with hairspray before I style. It adds some volume. I wouldn't suggest self tanner unless you do it all over (at least what is visible when you are clothed). My hair is black so I add highlights of bright red and orange-blonde to detract from how thin it is. Maybe go to a salon to lighten or highlight your hair. Or try a beauty college to save cash. If your hair is already fine, perhaps weak, you don't want to risk it breaking off... Or check out local wig shops. You can get falls of hair that you attach with bobby pins or special glue. You might even consider having a weave put in. If nothing else, dress well, smile, and have confidence. That can go along way:) (06/01/2006)

By thriftyboo

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

Hi Clevergirl,
I am a hairstylist as well as a salon owner and I will tell you what I know. Firstly, the hat thing. There has been some research that has shown that continuous wearing of ballcaps and such where the scalp becomes sweaty and the sweat is trapped and clogging the hair follicles to the point that it is killing the hairstrand within. So for guys that wear them day in and day out? It may be a "contributing factor".

As for trying to minimize the noticability of yours....you want to make the contrast between your scalp and your hair less. So yes, blonde hilites will help. I would maybe even go for a bit lighter brown all over if you are up for trying that and then blonde hilights in the thinner areas. Just be gentle with the hair don't want to damage the hair that you have.

Not sure if I would try the self tanner or not??? I would be worried about clogging up the hair follicles I guess.
(06/02/2006)

By Justanothercowgirl

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

I think baldness or thinning hair is hereditary. I wouldn't color my hair if I were you. My sister colors her hair and keeps it permed and she is the only one in our family of four girls who has a bald spot. I would however, continue to wear some type of hat when I went outside to prevent skin cancer on the top of your head. I think the length of the hair is what is most important when it comes to covering up baldness. Shorter hair looks like more hair. Also, it can be blown dry to cover the places where there isn't much hair. I wouldn't worry to much about it, but rather learn to love the body you have. WE all have things about ourselves that we don't like.
Warm wishes, (06/02/2006)

By Carol in PA

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

Have you tried the vitamin Biotin? First magazine had an article about it this year. I have been taking it for four months and my hairdresser has been commenting on how thick my hair is getting. (06/02/2006)

By Meg

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

Here are my tips (sorry if they duplicate any above):

Frequent shampooing if your hair tends to be oily (use baby shampoo if you are worried). Also, I don't use the blow dryer too often (except when going out). Instead I run my hands through my hair as it dries and then back brush it. I bend over and brush the hair forward. This makes the hair look fuller. A good haircut is very important. Keep your hair no longer than shoulder length, and your hair layered. A mild body wave (I have heard) can be very helpful.
Finally, good quality, well-matched hairpieces (the less hair on them the better ... as it will look more natural). Some have combs for attachment and then you can use bobby pins to secure them. Try Paula Young if budget is a problem. Ask them to mail you swatches before you buy so you can compare against your hair. Paula Young is online. I am not advertising them, but have used them successfully and am very happy with results. They even have specific pieces for crown and side coverage.

Good luck.

(06/04/2006)

By Anjeena

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

Hypothyroidism is a common cause of thinning hair in women. Do you also have any of the following symptoms: dry skin, feeling inappropriately cold, depression, high cholesterol, high or low blood pressure, joint pains?

Ask your doc to check TSH and Free T4 levels. If your TSH is over 3 with symptoms, you should be treated.

Visit About Thyroid for more info. http://thyroid.about.com/

Low ferritin (storage iron) is another cause of hair loss and many of the above symptoms. A serum ferritin test will identify anemia before it shows up on a CBC.

(06/04/2006)

By txthyroid

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

My sister, who had beautiful hair, wore wigs for about 20 years. It left her with several bald spots. Her hair has recovered after several years of ditching the wigs. Hair is alive and needs to breathe. The hat is not helping your condition.

Best of luck! (06/05/2006)

By Sheri darling

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

I am a 3 time cancer survivor and all the chemo has left me with very thin hair. Being a hairdresser, I really don't like it much. Then I read the following about thin hair and attitude and I feel better!

There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head. "Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today." So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head. "H-M-M, " she said, "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today." So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head. "Well," she said, "Today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail." So she did and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head. "YEAH!" she exclaimed, "I don't have to fix my hair today!

Attitude is everything.

(06/06/2006)

By prism

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

I have always had thin hair and now it is getting thinner. I wear a simple brimed hat almost all the year during the day when I leave the home.. In the winter it is wool or cloth and in the summer it is a lightweight material. (The brim is great for keeping wrinkles to a minimum.) I decorate them with scarves, belts and jewelry.In the evenings when I go out I wear no design baseball hats. I pull my hair in a tiny ponytail at the back of my head, pull the pony tail out the hole and put a big bow type barrette on my hair above the ponytail at the hole in the back of the cap. I buy all these items at thrift stores . No one knows how little hair I have and I get lots of compliments on my hats. (06/08/2006)

By thrifty 50

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

I have been trying to camouflage thinning hair for years. When I was young my hair was extremely thick so when it started thinning, it was very difficult for me to except. I have a lot of medical problems and all doctors have told me that the thinning is caused by my conditions plus some of the meds that I have to take. I am also a cosmetologist which made it even more devastating. My hair is naturally dark blonde. I lightened my hair to a light beige blone and wore it that way for years, but as it got thinner, I just was not happy. My youngest daughter just got married on March 3rd and I was so upset with my hair that I consulted another cosmetologist and she said that I actually was wearing it too light. She went to a darker blonde and then highlighted it and that is looking much better. Also, the haircut is extremely important! You want it short....but not too short. I use a volume shampoo and then styling it, I blow it dry and then use called SUDZZ FX Lemonade Dreamzz Texture Creme and "crunch it" to give the illusion of thicker hair. I have to say, I was very happy with the results and was not embarrassed with my hair (or lack of hair) when attending the wedding. I received numerous compliments.

Please do not use a self tanner. It would only clog the hair follicles and make your problem worse. Hats and wigs are not a good idea either unless you get to the point where you are bald.

I would check with a doctor to see if you can pinpoint the problem. It could be a medical problem that needs attention.

I also like the story that was sent it previously about the girl with three hairs. Attitude is a big part of it. I am attaching a pic of me with all three of my daughters at the wedding so you can see my hair. And trust me, it is so thin that you could see my scalp no matter what. Good Luck. (03/20/2007)

By Lil

RE: Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

I also have thinning hair.I found a product called Toppik that is a hair fiber that you shake on where the thinning places are. It really covers them up. It comes in different colors,which mine is light brown but I am really impressed with this product. You can find it at amazon, ebay or several other places I have seen it.It is a little expensive but I think it is well worth it. It stays on until you wash it out. Sure makes me feel better about myself. (08/17/2009)

By Barbie62

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips Thin HairMarch 30, 2012
Remedies for Static Hair
Remedies for Static Hair
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 9:02:50 AM on 10.0.1.121 in 638 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.