Remedies for Thin Hair

There are many reasons for thin, limp hair. This is a guide about remedies for thin hair.

December 11, 2016 Flag

A woman blowdrying her thin and fine brown hair.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about adding volume to thin or fine hair. When hair is fine or thin you may find ways to style it or some hair products to make it look fuller.

February 11, 2013 Flag

When one of my daughters was little, she had very wispy, very fine hair. A pharmacist recommended Biotin (back then - more than 20 years ago - they were tiny white pills. Now, they are huge!). I dosed her up and her hair improved. Now, as a 25 year old, she has beautiful long thick healthy hair.

By Leeza

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My hairdresser suggested that I use Biotin also.

I am finding my hair becoming thicker and longer. Never had this before.

Hooray, finally after all these years something so simple doing such amazing things.

April 6, 2011 Flag

Being 77 year old, my hair is thinning. I can't afford Joan Rivers Cosmetic Hair Color to fill in the thinning area so I tried using my dry powder eyebrow color on my scalp, just like she does on her TV ad. It did a pretty good job of coverage. My hair is light brown almost dark blond.

By Shirley from Mesa, AZ

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Oh, Shirley! That's lovely -A real 'up yours' to those advertisers. Sorry- I'm not usually rude, but don't we get sick of having things pushed at us? Definite thumbs up!

Marg from England.

August 11, 2013 Flag

I have fine, very straight hair. I would like to know which root lift products are best for giving it more lift and volume. I do use volume shampoos and they help.

By jch

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add an ounce of liquid pectin to 8 ounces of shampoo and to conditioner. Wash and condition as usual. You will find liquid pectin with canning supplies. I find the powder pectin doesn't work. Lots of luck

Styling gel such as my favorite; Paul Mitchell Tea Tree, applied to roots only will help. Blow dry against the growth. Usually bending over and partially drying your hair, then finish in the style you want.

The main thing is try to keep the styling product off the ends of your hair, as that weighs your hair down and you won't get the lift from the roots that you want.

Also, lift your hair with your fingers and spray the roots only, keeping the spray off the ends of your hair as it will weigh your hair down, and you won't get that lift.

September 4, 2007 Flag

My mom's hair is really starting to fall out from chemotherapy. She doesn't want to get a wig(this climate's very hot and humid and wigs can be uncomfortable). Do those horse shampoos really make hair look thicker? They're kind of expensive and mom doesn't want to try until she knows. Or does anybody know of another solution? Any help would be appreciated.

Joan from Chesapeake, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Tell your mom not to wash her hair every day. Take a spray bottle with water and let it set for a couple of days and use that on her hair and comb thru. I was taking a medicine that made my hair fall out and I do this and my hair grew back in in a year. Shampoo has chemicals in it that cause hair to dry out and can make it brittle. Washing your hair once a week is all the hair needs to be clean. If your mom lets the natural oils build up in the hair this should help stop the stress on the hair folicule. The medicine she is taking causes stress for your hair and then when you wash it with shampoo makes it worse. I wash my hair once a week and use the water in a spray bottle the rest of the weak use a brush that has wide set bristles as not to pull the hair. Also stay away from putting it in pony tail holders and a short cut will take the weight off the hair folicule and it won't be as noticeable the loss of hair. Also take a vitamin pill daily...To replenish minerals lost from being ill. Hope this helps. I will pray for your mother and hope she will get better. God bless.

The best for losing hair is nioxim shampoo, it'll really work!

November 4, 2013 Flag

My daughter is 8 years old and she has very fine, thin hair. It grows slowly and breaks, it does not grow long. Please give me advice. I sometimes think maybe it might be the shampoo that's too strong for her.

By Milla

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would take her to see a dermatologist. She may have Alopecia Areata. This is what causes young people to go bald prematurely. Sadly it does affect some girls. I hope this helps. Here is what webmd.com says.

http://www.medi  eata/article.htm

Could be the shampoo...use a very mild children's shampoo. It could also be a lack of fiber in her diet. Hair and nails require fiber to grow strong.

March 28, 2012 Flag

What can I use for my hair to make it thicker. I have tried everything I see that's a hair thickening product, but no results. I'm feeling so hopeless when it comes to my hair. Everything I try seems to me that I'm only wasting my money on hopeless capsules and treatments. Please help. My hair is so thin that you can even see my scalp. It's very embarrassing for me to go out when I'm looking like this. It breaks my heart. Please tell me what to mix or anything. Please, I'm very desperate. I have straight hair, but it's too thin.

By Casline from South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Take 5000 mg. biotin every day and always with a high potency B-complex. Also, please have your thyroid checked, as this is a common symptom of thyroid disease. I hope this helps.

Use shampoo products with panthenol in it. I have very thick hair and made the mistake in buying a shampoo with panthenol in it my hair seem to have trippled, so I KNOW shampoos with panthenol works. It clings to your hair shaft. And as recommended don't wash your hair everyday.

November 28, 2013 Flag

My hair is too thin. How do I thicken it?

By wowhotnews

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Purchase from vitamin outlets such as Holland & Barrett in UK (not sure of the US equivalent): Silica, or horsetail vitamin tablets.

I do not believe you can "thicken" hair. You might try different shampoos & conditioners, to see if some of them might give your hair some body. Sometimes powerful medications can affect your hair, making less attractive than it was, or poor nutrition can also affect hair quality.

August 1, 2000 Flag

Does anyone know of something that really works and is really good to plump up thinning hair in women?

By Sharon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This photo was taken 2 yrs ago when I was 56 yrs old. It was at a time when Gliss shampoo and Gliss Conditioner for Coloured/Permed hair was still available.

My natural hair has always been fine. I naively believed at the time this pic was taken, that my hair had suddenly, miraculously become thicker, with swing, as each hair had suddenly gained girth!!! I was able to leave a towel on my hair whilst I applied my make-up, would then remove the towel to find my hair fell into shape and would only have to blow dry the bottom and sides of my hair into shape. The other added bonus was that because my hair was now so healthy, strong and thick that I could wear it long. I managed to grow it much longer than in the photo. (I would never have believed that any shampoo could give such amazing results). Then the black day dawned when I was no longer able to find my beloved shampoo. Gliss had discontinued it.

I have emailed Schwarzkopf many times asking them if any of their current shampoos have the unique ingredient that was used in the one for coloured/permed hair, but alas, have been ignored. I have found sites that supply the information about ingredients in currently available shampoos but I am still trying to find a list of those discontinued (hence my User name). Every shampoo I have tried since, (and that has been many £100's worth I might add!!) all claiming to 'volumise' have been bitterly disappointing. Unlike the prevailing conditioners that offer to deliver 'volume without weight', I, am looking for one that WILL deliver weight, to gain that 'swing' again to my hair. I can't imagine that I am the only woman who wants the swing back in her hair and also likes to wear her hair long.

I know this is a tall order folks, but if there is anyone out there who knows of a shampoo and conditioner that fits the bill, I would be eternally grateful. Better still, if there are women out there who would like to achieve what I did using the Gliss shampoo, maybe we could get together, petition Schwarzkopf to reinstate their miracle product!!!! Here's hoping, fingers crossed!!!

I've recently had great results with Matrix Amplify spray-in volumizer. I haven't tried the shampoo & I don't ever use conditioner, but I just started using the volumizer and love it. It is pricey, though, unfortunately, but a small amount does a lot. Good luck, hope you try it & love it like I do.

October 31, 2011 Flag

Does the use of horse shampoo such as Equiline cause greying of hair when used on humans? If it does what causes it? Is there a specific way to use horse shampoos for the treatment of thin and falling hair as when I used it it made my hair very hard?

By Z.E from Johannesburg, SA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with louel53. Don't use horse shampoo. Look at your family and friends to see who has the healthiest looking hair. Then, ask them what they use.

Check out the chemicals. I used Orvus for me and my dogs and loved it. Then, seems i read something about carcinogens and had to discontinue. Lots of people use the Mane and tail. They find less harmful chemical than human shampoo. It nourishes hair. Check all chemicals in any product you use.

August 19, 2005 Flag

I have thin, lifeless, hair with no body. I wear it short. Does anybody have any suggestions to give body to my hair?

Thqnks,
Judy Fom Texas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hey my name is summer. I am a model so my modeling agency makes sure i take good care of my hair. I used to have short lifeless hair just like you. It wasnt super short but it was ... medium short. What they told me to do was wash it with maximum strength shampoo and conditioner every other day. I used dove. It worked really good. Then after every shower i would blowdry my hair then spray on leave in conditioner and thickening spray. It left my hair looking shiny, soft, and full of life. So thats an idea for you. Thanks for listening. If you wanna ask me any questions you can email me at model_hottie2468 @ yahoo.com (remove spaces)

Pour a small amount (however strong you can stand)of apple cider vinegar into a small jar (any leftover face cream jar will do) of water and keep in bathroom. After showering use qtip, dip frequently and massage your whole scalp with this mixture. Use continuously after every shower. Also helps with dandruff problem. The smell is quite strong so dilute solution until it' weaker or try putting it half hour or hour earlier and then wash it out. It just doesn't give you volume; it increases thickness of hair. My sister who's had thin hair her whole life started this 2 years ago. She first noticed that it gave her more volume but now 2 years later, when she wears her hair in a ponytail the thickness is the same as mine. Quite dramatic.

December 16, 2014 Flag

I think I need a perm as my hair is very thin and fine. However is perming hair bad for falling hair? Will perming hair cause further loss? I need volume at the top to conceal my scalp. Wearing a wig is uncomfortable for hot weather conditions and it looks unreal.

By Tan BH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How a wig looks will depend on the style. I never spend more than $50.00 on a wig and when I wear them I get lots of compliments from people I know thinking I have been to a beauty shop and had a complete new hair do, including color change, because my hair is dark brown and I have a couple different shades of red wigs and a couple different shades of blonde wigs. I am 74 and have very little grey in my natural color. As to an answer about perms, you will have to talk to a hair stylist that you are familiar with and that you trust.

December 17, 2009 Flag

I once had thick shoulder length hair, but I have lost most of my hair and its thickness due to hair extension glue. I have been trying to grow it back, but no results. Please help.

By Sal

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just saw a viewer question about shedding to much hair on Dr. Oz. He said to massage lavendar oil in to your scalp and this helps to stop the hair from falling out.

I never know why women add that crap to their hair, My oldest daughter does this often and I have warm her so much about the damage she does to her hair.

Try washing your hair with hair conditioner only, and skip the shampoo for a couple of months, this will help with the breakage. I don't know of anything that will help with thinning hair. you might want to consult your doctor about that.

April 16, 2014 Flag

My hair is too fine and thin. What can I do to make it thicker and strong?

By Siphosethu

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 1, 2011 Flag

My question is to the person who mentioned that eating walnuts helps your hair, do you mean fresh, or packaged walnuts, does it make any difference? Thanks.

By Anne

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 6, 2011 Flag

Due to an allergic reaction, I have had some thin patches in my hair which are growing back in. In the meantime, I find that when I apply strong black coffee to the area, my scalp is tinted a light brown, which blends in with my hair and disguises the thin section! This is only temporary, but might help if you want to disguise thinning hair where the white scalp shows through the thin hair! Its working for me.

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 7, 2010 Flag

I am a middle-aged woman. Does anyone have tricks to camophlage thinning hair on the top (crown) and front hairline?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips Thin HairMarch 30, 2012
Adding Volume to Thin or Fine Hair
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 25, 2017 at 9:14:44 PM on 10.0.0.173 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.