Make Your Own Lip Gloss

I am making my own lip gloss. Some of the recipes on this site include honey as an ingredient. I'm allergic to honey so is there a substitute I can use? Or do I need it at all? Thanks.

By Brittany H from Pittsburgh, PA

You don't HAVE to use honey in lip balm. But if your recipe calls for it, I don't know what would be a good substitute. I made lip balm with honey once, and had a problem with separation -- apparently it had to do with the temperature.

Here is a link to some recipes at Magestic Mountain Sage. I've ordered supplies from them before (both packaging and ingredients). In particular, read the last one (Make Your Own Lip Balm). They give proportions for beeswax and different oils. They also have recipes for lip balms that don't use honey. If you have questions, you can e-mail them. That's how I found out what went wrong with the honey lip balm. ... .State=ListRecipes&cat=Lip_Balms

Best of luck with the lip balms! They can be a lot of fun to make and share!

Thanks! I will try some soon and see if they will work for my science fair project!

lip gloss puddle and applicator
Homemade Lip Gloss Recipes
Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes LipsNovember 20, 2010
A girl putting on lip balm.
Cleaning Lip Balm Stains From Clothing
Making Lip Balm
Making Lip Balm
Plain White Lip Balm on Blue Background
Homemade Lip Balm Recipes
A woman putting on lip gloss.
Cleaning Lip Gloss Stains on Clothing