Homemade Garlic Powder

When great garlic begins to go soft in storage, it's time to make garlic powder. To prepare this multipurpose seasoning from scratch, first peel the garlic cloves. Then cut them into thin slices and put in a dry pan. Place the pan in a 150 degree F oven to dry the garlic, turning the slices often. Grind the dried slices in a blender, then sift the material through a strainer to separate the chunks from the finer powder (the chunks taste great on pizza).

Use your homemade powder on any food that can benefit from a concentrated shot of garlic flavor. Store the chunks or garlic powder in airtight jars kept in a cool place, or freeze for long-term storage.

Source: My Mom's homemade cookbook

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

I'm so happy to learn of this tip. I just bought a big bag of garlic at Costco because I figured even if I couldn't use it all before it went bad I would still be ahead of the game. Now I can use the whole bag. Thanks.

Making Garlic Powder
Making Garlic Powder
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesJanuary 19, 2011
Measuring spoon with homemade baking powder.
Homemade Baking Powder Recipes
Chili Powder In Measuring Spoon
Homemade Chili Powder
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
Two bare feet.
Homemade Foot Powder