Mothball Smell on Leather

I need to remove a moth ball smell from a leather purse. I've tried cleaning it and using leather cream, but it still smells bad. Please help.

By Michele

If you did not store it with a resin packet in it, put one in it now. Buy a small bag of charcoal briquets and slice it open in the middle of the bag, just enough to expose them but not enough to spill them out. Do this in a small space that is not ventilated, such as a large plastic box. The charcoal should absorb the odor in 1-2 days. It may also work with a charcoal-based kitty litter.

October 9, 2010 Flag

How do you get the smell of moth balls out of leather?

By Larry from Hampton, VA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 22, 2009 Flag

During a 900 mile trip and a 4 month stay at my house, my stepmother stored their leather jackets, chaps and other items in a container with mothballs! Now she cannot get the smell out. Does anyone have some ideas for us to try?

Trina from Cleveland, TX

Answers:

Mothball Smell in Leather Purse

You might try wadding up some newspaper and stuffing the purse with it for a day or so. I did this in my son's stinky tennis shoes and it worked great. (10/13/2004)

By raeboz

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsOctober 9, 2010
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
🎉
🎄