Old Fashioned Stocking Up

I'm reading an old Agatha Christie book and the old lady in it had generous "stores" down in the pantry. It's a good, old-fashioned idea, although rather than bags of sugar and preserves, mine run to pasta, spaghetti sauce, beans and, in the bathroom, shampoo, conditioner and lotions.

By pamphyila from Los Angeles

Having had a mother who had 'extras' on hand and who also put food up, it doesn't seem 'old fashioned' to me, though I suppose for many people it would. I have always made my own jams and canned/frozen fruits and some veggies. And though I don't buy a lot of prepackaged items to keep on hand (shampoos and the like), I do keep dried beans, pastas, peas and a few canned items on hand, not only for spur of the moment cooking, but in case of natural disaster or long-term power outages. It's easy and relatively inexpensive to do (especially for those who shop Costco and other such stores).

I do keep any excess in air tight containers.

Yeah I love to stock up! I stock up when items are cheap(on sale with coupons, under a dollar). I was able to "skip" shopping for groceries a couple times. Having a chest freezer is a great idea too.

I stock up on:

Cat Food

Baked Beans

Dried Fruit Yes o yes!

Cleaning materials: I buy dishwashing liquid and Pine-Gel ( for washing floors and furnitire) in bulk.

A paper bag full of groceries
Stocking Up on Groceries
Food and Recipes StorageApril 16, 2007
A hole in a pair of pantyhose.
Fixing a Run in Your Stockings
Making a Christmas Stocking
Making a Christmas Stocking
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
Crocheting a Stocking
Crocheting a Stocking