Walking Dogs and Cats on Hot Pavement

My tip is for the concern of walking you dog/cat. Living here in Nevada, the heat can be extreme and also the sidewalks. Take care that your pet doesn't get heat exhaustion, too.

If the sidewalk is too hot for your bare feet, it is definitely too hot for your pet. The pads on their feet get hot from walking on the hot pavement, too.

My dog will sit and let me know she is too warm, even in the early morning walks. Take note of your pet's signals.

By Linda from Las Vegas. NV

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Excellent advice Linda. My dogs are only walked in the early morning and around 6 pm, and I am fortunate to have shade at those times. During the day, the dog walker takes them out just for a few minutes and it's back in the house.

Not only do their little paws burn but their faces and bodies are not far from the intense heat thrown by the pavement.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Great advise to those who live in the hot areas of America. I live in Florida and there's no way I will walk my dogs on the hot pavement. Luckily, we have a huge back yard for them to play in but it isn't the same as the walk they need. As soon as it starts to cool down some, the walking will begin again. I know they will be happy.

Some people put little booties on their dogs to protect their paws and that's fine but dogs can suffer from heat exhaustion and die quicker than we think.

Please be careful about walking your dog this summer!!!!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Pets Dogs HealthJuly 20, 2006
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
A mom and two kids crossing the street.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 6:40:45 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 741 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.