Removing Urine Odors from a Bathroom

Although the lavatory looks clean, it doesn't always smell fresh. This guide is about removing urine odors from a bathroom.

March 19, 2007 Flag

Suave Green Apple for Cleaning

Suave Green Apple for Cleaning

I have three males in my household. I had tried everything to get rid of the smell of urine in the toilet area. Scrub, scrub, scrub with every known cleaner. Not even vinegar would do the job. I was shopping at Big Lots and I was talking to a woman and she said she uses shampoo for urine smells. WHAT! The brand is Suave Green Apple at Walmart for $ 1.64. She suggested the sinks, shower and floors too. I did try it on those areas but find that my Bar Keeper's Friend does the ultimate job in the shower. So I'll use both in the shower. What impressed me the most was the result of no more urine smell! Whew! A squeeze onto the sponge did the job. This bottle will last forever! I clean toilets twice a week.

What a saving plus, I actually found a solution. So all you out there that have had it with cleaning and still having the urine smell, well pick up Suave Green Apple Shampoo. I promise you'll be so glad you did.

Jennifer, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What! Do you bleach their underwear like mad too? I mean, guys dribble all the time. And, hello, even paper towels go in the landfill as well. I use old ratty T-shirts and cut them washcloth size to clean the bathroom. I wash them seperately from the rest of the wash, but in a smaller wash cycle and then hang them to dry. By the way, the cleaning solution you wiped around the toilet to sanitize it also is on the cloth in a concentrated form, thus sanitizing it as well when you wash it. I understand the Eww factor with toilet cleaning. If it really bugs you, resort to the lysol santizing wipes and find some other way to save the earth.

OMG, all the criticism. The point was Green Apple shampoo for the residual smell. Thanks for the tip. Folks, come on don't be so critical. I use old towels torn up, wash them until they fall apart and then throw them away. It is a good tip, I'll get some green apple shampoo and try it. Peace.

Read More Comments...

October 14, 2013 Flag

I empty the bedside commode into the toilet. The toilet paper splashes in and some of it gets on the bathroom floor. It is sometimes mixed with feces on the paper or in it. How do I do this without the smell getting in the commode or on the bathroom floor. I smell it all day. My mom uses it at night and I empty it in the am.

By Sarah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try "Odors Out" you can buy it at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I hope this helps.

The best thing to use is white vinegar straight from the bottle. The smell will be gone instantly. The vinegar smell will go away shortly. I also use straight vinegar to clean windows. Works great. Vinegar is also a disinfectant. Hope this helps.

I found out that my pee smell was coming from the toilet seat that is part plastic , put your head down on the seat and Bingp there is where my smell was I now have wooden seats with is painted for the finished coat that was recommended by one of the articles ! Thank You

I had a plastic seat that came with the toilet; it broke. I bought a wooden seat coated with whatever they coat it with. Pretty soon that was disgusting as the "paint" wore off from pee, water, cleaning, etc, under the seat and the wood part was "warping" as it absorbed the pee and water now. So I went back to plastic, AND now I have a smelly problem cuz the brand new lid is absorbing the smell. The wooden one looked worse than it smelled. I can't win! Wish I had the original back.

I have this issue with a brand new seat. I think it's the plastic. I'm going to buy some eucalypti to put in a vase in there because I'm not replacing this $50 new seat. Odd though.

May 23, 2011 Flag

I have a dreadful urine stench from one of my toilets. The bathroom smells like a men's public toilet. It is cleaned frequently. What can I do?

Thanks

By maeref

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you have tried cleaning, the most likely problem is the wax seal under the toilet, they can develop gaps, and allow liquid to seep down under and into the flooring. The ehow site rec. by MCW should help you with replacing that.

Best of luck to you!

Is someone missing the toilet and dribbling on the floor? If so the urine is going under the toilet and causing the smell. If not then you may need to have the wax ujnder the toilet replaced but I suggest you get a plumber to do it. These things last for years and years if they are done right so your best bet is to hire it done.

After many years cleaning houses I found that many people do not clean under the rim of their bowls very well. Get some rubber gloves and a scrubby and give that a try. It can get really built up under there. Also some folks (you know who you are) miss the toilet completely and there can be a buildup under the base of the toilet where you cannot reach it. Try squirting some Natures Miracle (for pet accidents) under there and wait a few days. Often the odor will be completely gone.

I poured Pinesol on the floor all the way around the toilet and let it set. I wiped it up about 3 hours later. The bathroom smelled like Pinesol for the rest of the day, but the next day it was odor free.

The odor may be coming from under your flooring? Little boys (and sometimes Big ones) sometimes miss the target. :) New flooring and sub floor may be in order if this is the real problem.

Soak the whole area with vinegar and let it stand for awhile, then dry it up.

Read More Answers...

September 3, 2007 Flag

What removes urine odor from an elementary school bathroom? I am a custodian, and little boys seem to "miss" quite often. The products provided by the school aren't working very well. There always seems to be an underlying urine odor. I haven't been at this job very long, so any help would really be appreciated!

Barb from Kellogg, IA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

ODOR BAN comes in a gallon jug and can be diluted to use in a spray bottle, or in a mop bucket. This is what is used in nursing homes to keep the odor to a minimum. You can purchase this at Walmart.

I read this post looking for advice because I'm having this problem with my "boys" (hubby & teenage son), as well as any visiting friends of my son. I can't wait to try the vinegar immediately (it's cheap & have this on hand).

P.S. Maryeileen: I was curious enough to click on the link & sure enjoyed a good laugh! Great idea! (Reminds me of putting a Cheerio in the commode water for aiming when potty training that now 13 year old son - maybe I need to do that again!) Leah

I too work as a custodian for the school district, what I have used is pure lemon juice....poured it around the base of the toilet and surrounding walls, let it set for 30 minutes then clean bathroom as usual...also put the juice in a spray bottle, used it around and in the urinals as well.

Tap-a-drop Original works great

Urine in the home my dad does it all the time he doesn't remember what can I do to get rid of the smell in the bathroom

I as well work as a custodian in a elementary school.the boys bathroom is horrible.the pee smell.i have bought several products to try to eliminated the odor.i have read several remedies.is the lemon juice or vinegar best?or baking soda?

Read More Answers...

June 17, 2010 Flag

How do you get urine smell out of a clean bathroom?

By Michele from Lincoln Park, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Walmart sells a product in the baby section, I don't remember the name, but it is called "Toddler_____" and has a pink label with stick figures on it, they also sell this in the pet section "Pet_________". It works great on mattresses, carpets, etc.

The suave apple shampoo idea definitely works and it smells good in there. Use an old wet sponge and put a tablespoon of shampoo on it, then go to work around the basin of the stool on the floor, helped out a lot here. boys sometimes miss and leak, lol.

Sometimes when you really know that your bathroom is clean, its the wax ring that seals the bottom of the toilet. Your toilet may not leak and the seal could still have a crack in it.

I use the product for pet urine removal from the pet store. Be sure to check under the rim in your toilet bowl. Then check under the base of the toilet. Squirt some of the pet solution under there. Urine gets trapped there. It takes a couple days to dry and for the smell to go away. You can soak up some of the solution with paper towels as it dissolves whatever is under the toilet. Then add some more and leave it to dry slowly.

If you have men or little boys, they miss the toilet, it runs down the side to the floor and under the toilet where washing can't be reached.

I used to take paper towels and tuck with a knife all around the floor/toilet and then sop it with distilled vinegar. Let it soak. If the pee had gone to the wood floor boards, this will also get to it.

As listed below, check the wax ring and replace. That is cheap $5 price, and then you can use a silicone seal around the bottom of the toilet on the floor. Don't do a huge amount, just a little beading. Make sure it is for the toilet so that removal in the future will not be a pain.

Cleaning a bathroom sometimes means removing urine odor from tile and grout. To do this in an efficient manner means getting to the root of the problem. The newest technology for cleaning bathroom tiles uses peroxide and detergents to penetrate the soiled area and deactivate the odor. Simply spray a product like PAWS - Pet Accident Washup Solution on the area, allow to sit for 10 minutes and then wipe clean. Baking soda will also neutralize the smell of urine from in between your bathroom tiles.

Make a paste of baking soda and water and clean with a toothbrush. Let site for about 30 minutes and wipe with a damp sponge. If the odor persists, repeat until the odor is gone.

Read More Answers...

September 21, 2014 Flag

My dad is 92 y/o and lives in assisted living. He has a Supra pubic catheter. He has been instructed in emptying his bag into a urinal to minimize splashing. Unfortunately there is still splashing, and there is also some leaking at night, causing a horrible smell in both rooms. They charge an extra $150 for more cleaning. Do you have any suggestions on eliminating this odor?

By Ilene

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is a odor eliminator you can try called zero odor or odorX. I heard about it on a radio show for home improvements. Hope it works.

Zero Odor.com has a good one. Good Luck. Do you also flush the catheter? That will help with odor also.

December 9, 2010 Flag

I cannot get the urine smell out of my bathroom. I clean it every day. It is a brand new unit and only I live in it. I have not had this problem before. I do notice that there is a low water level in the toilet bowl. I hope you can help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 9, 2010 Flag

I deep clean my bathroom every other day, and it still smells like urine. I am the lone female in a home of boys. They are not messy if you catch my drift, but the smell is always there. What can I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomMarch 3, 2013
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Cleaning Toilet
Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Couch with urine odors.
Removing Urine Odors from a Couch
🎉
🎄