Removing Urine Odors from a Bathroom

Although the lavatory looks clean, it doesn't always smell fresh. This guide is about removing urine odors from a bathroom.

A clean bathroom.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 19, 2007 Flag

Suave Green Apple for Cleaning

Suave Green Apple for Cleaning

I have three males in my household. I had tried everything to get rid of the smell of urine in the toilet area. Scrub, scrub, scrub with every known cleaner. Not even vinegar would do the job. I was shopping at Big Lots and I was talking to a woman and she said she uses shampoo for urine smells. WHAT! The brand is Suave Green Apple at Walmart for $ 1.64. She suggested the sinks, shower and floors too. I did try it on those areas but find that my Bar Keeper's Friend does the ultimate job in the shower. So I'll use both in the shower. What impressed me the most was the result of no more urine smell! Whew! A squeeze onto the sponge did the job. This bottle will last forever! I clean toilets twice a week.

What a saving plus, I actually found a solution. So all you out there that have had it with cleaning and still having the urine smell, well pick up Suave Green Apple Shampoo. I promise you'll be so glad you did.

Jennifer, CA

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 23, 2011 Flag

I have a dreadful urine stench from one of my toilets. The bathroom smells like a men's public toilet. It is cleaned frequently. What can I do?

Thanks

By maeref

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After many years cleaning houses I found that many people do not clean under the rim of their bowls very well. Get some rubber gloves and a scrubby and give that a try. It can get really built up under there. Also some folks (you know who you are) miss the toilet completely and there can be a buildup under the base of the toilet where you cannot reach it. Try squirting some Natures Miracle (for pet accidents) under there and wait a few days. Often the odor will be completely gone.

I poured Pinesol on the floor all the way around the toilet and let it set. I wiped it up about 3 hours later. The bathroom smelled like Pinesol for the rest of the day, but the next day it was odor free.

The odor may be coming from under your flooring? Little boys (and sometimes Big ones) sometimes miss the target. :) New flooring and sub floor may be in order if this is the real problem.

Soak the whole area with vinegar and let it stand for awhile, then dry it up.

Read More Answers...

September 21, 2014 Flag

My dad is 92 y/o and lives in assisted living. He has a Supra pubic catheter. He has been instructed in emptying his bag into a urinal to minimize splashing. Unfortunately there is still splashing, and there is also some leaking at night, causing a horrible smell in both rooms. They charge an extra $150 for more cleaning. Do you have any suggestions on eliminating this odor?

By Ilene

There is a odor eliminator you can try called zero odor or odorX. I heard about it on a radio show for home improvements. Hope it works.

Zero Odor.com has a good one. Good Luck. Do you also flush the catheter? That will help with odor also.

June 17, 2010 Flag

How do you get urine smell out of a clean bathroom?

By Michele from Lincoln Park, MI

Sometimes when you really know that your bathroom is clean, its the wax ring that seals the bottom of the toilet. Your toilet may not leak and the seal could still have a crack in it.

I use the product for pet urine removal from the pet store. Be sure to check under the rim in your toilet bowl. Then check under the base of the toilet. Squirt some of the pet solution under there. Urine gets trapped there. It takes a couple days to dry and for the smell to go away. You can soak up some of the solution with paper towels as it dissolves whatever is under the toilet. Then add some more and leave it to dry slowly.

If you have men or little boys, they miss the toilet, it runs down the side to the floor and under the toilet where washing can't be reached.

I used to take paper towels and tuck with a knife all around the floor/toilet and then sop it with distilled vinegar. Let it soak. If the pee had gone to the wood floor boards, this will also get to it.

As listed below, check the wax ring and replace. That is cheap $5 price, and then you can use a silicone seal around the bottom of the toilet on the floor. Don't do a huge amount, just a little beading. Make sure it is for the toilet so that removal in the future will not be a pain.

Cleaning a bathroom sometimes means removing urine odor from tile and grout. To do this in an efficient manner means getting to the root of the problem. The newest technology for cleaning bathroom tiles uses peroxide and detergents to penetrate the soiled area and deactivate the odor. Simply spray a product like PAWS - Pet Accident Washup Solution on the area, allow to sit for 10 minutes and then wipe clean. Baking soda will also neutralize the smell of urine from in between your bathroom tiles.

Make a paste of baking soda and water and clean with a toothbrush. Let site for about 30 minutes and wipe with a damp sponge. If the odor persists, repeat until the odor is gone.

Read More Answers...

December 9, 2010 Flag

I cannot get the urine smell out of my bathroom. I clean it every day. It is a brand new unit and only I live in it. I have not had this problem before. I do notice that there is a low water level in the toilet bowl. I hope you can help.

By Gissy from Muswellbrook, NSW

I clean houses for elderly people and notice that urine gets on the outside of the bowl all around the sides , front and back. Really check the entire toilet. If you don't find anything, there may be urine that seeped into the flooring. As said by others, talk to your landlord.

I know it's frustrating. Sorry!

My sister just moved into a brand new house and had the same problem; she was cleaning the commode and around the commode all the time. The odour seemed to be coming from the 'plastic' the commode seat/lid unit was made of. After a few months, the smell has now almost totally gone. I hope this is the case for you, as well, and the 'new' smell eventually fades. Blessings.

We were having the same problem. This was after I had replaced our vinyl flooring with tile, so I knew it wasn't the floor or subfloor. The odor was isolated to within the toilet bowl. After alot of nostril work, I traced the odor as coming from under the lip around the top of the bowl (where the water washes down when you flush). It seems that over time, urine has splattered and crystalized into the calcium deposits under the lip. I purchased a flexible plastic putty knife for under a buck and some pet urine odor neutralizer. I soaked the underside of the lip with the neutralizer and scraped the deposits free with the putty knife. I also used a scotch scrub pad and scoured under the lip with the pad and some lysol bathroom cleaner (I used the putty knife to wedge the scouring pad under the lip). I scraped, scrubbed and soaked with the cleaner and neutralizer until all the deposits were gone. The smell instantly disappeared and remains gone today. Good luck.

Can I use normal Oxysept powder for dog urine smell in bathroom and drain. If not can you tell me what I can use.

Read More Answers...

September 3, 2007 Flag

What removes urine odor from an elementary school bathroom? I am a custodian, and little boys seem to "miss" quite often. The products provided by the school aren't working very well. There always seems to be an underlying urine odor. I haven't been at this job very long, so any help would really be appreciated!

Barb from Kellogg, IA

ODOR BAN comes in a gallon jug and can be diluted to use in a spray bottle, or in a mop bucket. This is what is used in nursing homes to keep the odor to a minimum. You can purchase this at Walmart.

I read this post looking for advice because I'm having this problem with my "boys" (hubby & teenage son), as well as any visiting friends of my son. I can't wait to try the vinegar immediately (it's cheap & have this on hand).

P.S. Maryeileen: I was curious enough to click on the link & sure enjoyed a good laugh! Great idea! (Reminds me of putting a Cheerio in the commode water for aiming when potty training that now 13 year old son - maybe I need to do that again!) Leah

I too work as a custodian for the school district, what I have used is pure lemon juice....poured it around the base of the toilet and surrounding walls, let it set for 30 minutes then clean bathroom as usual...also put the juice in a spray bottle, used it around and in the urinals as well.

Tap-a-drop Original works great

Read More Answers...

October 14, 2013 Flag

I empty the bedside commode into the toilet. The toilet paper splashes in and some of it gets on the bathroom floor. It is sometimes mixed with feces on the paper or in it. How do I do this without the smell getting in the commode or on the bathroom floor. I smell it all day. My mom uses it at night and I empty it in the am.

By Sarah

Try "Odors Out" you can buy it at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I hope this helps.

The best thing to use is white vinegar straight from the bottle. The smell will be gone instantly. The vinegar smell will go away shortly. I also use straight vinegar to clean windows. Works great. Vinegar is also a disinfectant. Hope this helps.

December 9, 2010 Flag

I deep clean my bathroom every other day, and it still smells like urine. I am the lone female in a home of boys. They are not messy if you catch my drift, but the smell is always there. What can I do?

By frusturated

Oh my! I have the same problem with 4 males. It is so gross.

I use Lysol concentrate. It sounds too strong but its safe for pets and kids. I use it in the cat box, a diluted solution to wipe down keyboards, phones light switches toilets door knobs etc. Any where the germs and bacteria can be spread. You can get it Walmart, Walgreens and Amazon.

I clean homes for a living and worked in nursing home as housekeeping!

Its a staple in my house!

I have inserted excerpt from the web site;

http://www.drugs.com/vet/lysol-bran ... isinfectant-cleaner-concentrate.html

(Cut and paste into browser.)

What it kills:

Bacterias:

Salmonella, Staphylococcus Chlamydia, Ecoli mono, Streptococcus, some fungi

Viruses:

Human Coronavirus, HIV-1 (AIDS Virus), Herpes Simplex Type 1, Herpes Simplex Type 2, Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV), Rubella (German Measles), Adenovirus Type 4, Vaccinia, Influenza A/Hong Kong, Hepatitis B Virus (HBV), Hepatitis C Virus (HCV)

Animal viruses:

Canine Distemper, Feline Leukemia, Pseudorabies (PRV), Avian polyomavirus, Feline Picornavirus, Rabies

It also takes care of the smell. Make up a solution, soak a rag or rags and put it around the base of the toilet, on the floor with out wringing it out too much let it set over night. It will work! As for the area under the tank between the tank and bowl where the seat connects use the rag method too.

As stated on one of the archived posts, I have found that by removing the toilet seat and cleaning underneath and around the screws, odors have been eliminated.

Perhaps the boys are not being messy on the toilet seat or floors but are spraying in the area ecm1357 mentions? In that case she is completely correct about cleaning around those areas but also teach them to spray strictly in the water because, after all, the spray can be directed. ;-)

My other thought is 'are they flushing after each and every poddy session' because if they aren't you could just be smelling the residue from the water in the toilet bowl? I hate wasting water flushing every single tinkle but if the urine smell is bad then that is what has to be done.

I implore you to not use any manufactured chemicals for cleaning! Not even for a toilet! Simple vinegar will sanitize and clean and take the odor away and your lungs and other internal body organs will thank you! I wish I had not grown up with and continued to use nasty cleaning chemicals because of serious permanent health issues caused by them.

Maybe keep a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar and water solution handy in the bathroom for in between actual cleanings?

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomMarch 3, 2013
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Cleaning Toilet
Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Couch with urine odors.
Removing Urine Odors from a Couch
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 12:41:28 AM on 10.0.1.152 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.