Bananas and Mosquito Bites

Are you the type of person who is always getting bit by mosquitoes, even when someone else is sitting next to you and is completely unbothered? The answer may lie in your diet. I have heard that people who eat bananas on a daily basis are MUCH more susceptible to being eaten alive by skeeters. Something in the scent of bananas that seeps from your pores when you sweat, maybe.

So if you are planning on going camping this summer, make sure to not eat bananas not only while you are there, but also a week or so ahead of time to let your body discharge that "bananalike" smell that drives the skeeters wild.

By PMZ Paul from Walnutport, PA

i really wish the mosquitos/black flies/gnats/whatever would eat this rumour!!! there is no scientific evidence that what you eat attracts mosquitos

True or not true - I don't care! It's not harmful to try it. I mean, it is the scientists who tell us eggs are good, no eggs are bad, no eggs are good again!

I get eaten alive by mosquitoes every year. It doesn't seem to matter what I put on for repellent. I am not sure that the banana theory is true though because I really don't like them and rarely eat them if ever. Someone told me that some people are just genetically more suseptible to bites.

The banana myth is a fake.I tryed it and the mosquito rate was the same as without eating a banana.

undoubtedly false

Here you go. Bananas are very high in potassium, although it is not a sodium, it is still classified as a light metal/mineral thus of the salt family. Loading up on potassium your body will waste the excess. Since your kidneys take their sweet time, the next best and quickest exit is through your pores, your sweat glands. Since mosquitoes are attracted to what your body is out putting, the long and short of it, bananas are not ideal when there are bloodsucking females around.....uh....as in mosquitoes.

I personally don't think it's true, because lately I ate lots of bananas. At least one a day, but sometimes even two or three and mosquitoes still don't like me. That of course doesn't mean I don't get bit by them, but I find that they still prefer to bite other people :). That said I don't mean to totally disregard this theory about the banana and mosquitoes, but there might be something else that attracts them more... or maybe it's just how your blood is, because bananas or no bananas I was never a favorite target for mosquitoes. I feel lucky! :)

I've been jogging at this trail where there are tons of mosquitoes, twice every week for the past month and a half or so, yet I have not had one single bite until the other day. It was a nasty bite or possibly many tiny ones. Well, all I can say it was a pretty huge area. I always eat a banana every day, but usually before or after I workout, however, the day I got that nasty bite, I had it one hour or so before I went out for a run. This urban legend is probably true. I think we should all try eating a banana one hour before we do anything extensive (where we sweat like a pig) in an area fill with mosquitoes and then re-assess whether this urban legend is true.

I'm allergic to bananas, so I rarely eat them, but I am still the most mosquito-bitten person I know!

Below in quotes is what i was just sent. "Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation."

I don't know if anything is true anymore. My son loves to eat bananas and when he is at the cottage he is usually the one who gets eaten the most but so do I and I don't get bitten.

My boyfriend eats a banana everyday with breakfast and never gets bit by mosquitoes. They don't even notice he is there. He doesn't understand how I get bit because he thinks we don't have mosquitoes ... must be nice.

Mosquito Bite Remedies
Mosquito Bite Remedies
Home and Garden Pest Control MosquitoesJuly 21, 2006
Mosquito Repellant
Mosquito Repellent Reviews
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
Mosquito Repellant
Mosquito Repellent Reviews
🎉
🎄