Why Is My Dog Eating Grass?

Is a dog eating grass a sign of worms?

By Penny S. from Portland

I have heard that it is, and that the dog needs to throw up, but can't, and that is why they eat grass. I have watched mine eat grass, and they don't throw up after, and don't dry heave either. I worm them regularly as a prevention, so I am pretty sure it isn't that. They just eat and swallow the grass, usually the mid length, dark green ones, the same ones I have seen our turkeys and chickens eat. I am just assuming that they like to eat it every once in a while.

My dogs eat grass and they absolutely don't have worms. I've heard that it's just a natural digestive aid for them.

I don,t know how true it is but I remember reading an article somewhere that both dogs and cats eat grass just because they like it.

I asked the tech at my vets office and he couldn't give me an answer. I don't think anyone knows except the dog himself.

I think this is nature's remedy for constipation and indigestion for dogs and cats alike. Both, my dogs and my cat do this. The cat will usually hack up a furball not long after he eats grass. The dogs will usually vomit a short while after ingesting the grass. The grass provides fiber for the animals.

Thanks for comments and feedback. I have him scheduled at the Vet's soon and I'll find out then! He's also going to get a tooth cleaning.

I read that a dog or cat eats grass because it has to "clear" it's throat. My lab has phlegm because of allergies which causes her nose to drip down the back of her throat. She eats grass, coughs up the phlegm and goes on her way.