Reusing Items to Organize Spices

I like buying those plastic spice bottles that are so inexpensive, $0.48 to $0.99 each. They come in so many choices for all your baking and cooking needs. But they are so easy to roll over or hard to see when mixed in your cabinets with other items of height. I always try to reuse items I have finished with in some way.

Here I took two different size containers and used them to house those spice bottles. The round one is the hard cardboard type you buy at Wal-Mart in the craft section for $0.99. The other is the bottom part of a baby wipes container. I used a fabric paint marker to write the name of each spice on the lids rim so they are easy to see when I need them. No more hunting or turning the bottle to see what the label front product is.

I also take off the paper label completely. I find that when I use them while baking, they always get food from my hands on them. Now, I keep a damp cloth handy and just wipe them off as I return them to their storage case.

The round box takes up a bit more space but it's easy to turn around to read the lids caps for the ones I need. I labeled the box with the word "spices" and put inside it ones like lemon pepper, rib sauce, pepper, etc.

I used the other one for spices like cinnamon sugar, red sugar, etc. And I wrote "Sweet Spices" on it so I know which one to reach for when doing certain types of baking. I used permanent fabric markers to write the names of the spices, which are permanent and will not wash off.

The empty baby wipes containers are so useful for so many other uses as well. I use them after I have opened up a box of spaghetti and break up my spaghetti to fit, or things like dried beans, rice, etc. You can even place a plastic measuring spoon inside to keep there for easy measurement each time you reach for the food staples inside.

Use them to put your facial Kleenex inside. They pop up through the tops better than the cardboard box ones and they do not get crushed in your car or get wet because they are concealed. Use them for crayons, decorative craft scissors, dry cereal, etc. Most of the tops flip open when you use the tops, so you can easily add more of that same item when needed. They organize your pantry in such a helpful way.

When your spice bottles run empty and you buy new ones, just keep your already labeled lids to switch with the empty ones but do not toss out those empty ones. You'll now have a new empty bottle to use for storage of other items; like raisins, nuts, or croutons for taking to work in small amounts, buttons for crafts, etc. And use them for housing many items that come in messy bags after being opened.

Photo of using recycled containers to organize spices.

Refill your empty spice bottles with spices from the heath food store. I find buying them there is less expensive, especially since you can buy in smaller amounts so they don't go stale and sit around for years. I've had some spices hanging around for 10 plus years in the past.

Various Spices in Containers on Wooden Background
Organizing Spices
Organizing KitchenNovember 6, 2007
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall, Spice rack hanging on a wall.
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
A cutting board with ground spices and fresh spices on it.
Ground Spices vs. Fresh Spices
Making a Magnetic Spice Rack
Making a Magnetic Spice Rack