Caring for a Five Day Old Puppy

Can you help give me some info on how to know when a 5 day old puppy is hungry and when it is full? Also how regularly do I need to feed them? Thank you.

By Dexster from Alberton

Don't let the collies only website deter you from following the writer's guidance as you can learn so much in the care of your five day old puppy from them. It has a formula recipe, dose and how often to feed a puppy and signs to look for if you run into any kind of complication. A great and thorough read with photos too.

http://www.chel  com/newborn.html

Oh Dexster . . . I don't know how you found yourself with a five day old puppy that needs anything more than it's mother to monitor feeding schedules, but bless you for your concern. Please don't hesitate to contact a professional vet that can help you through this challenging time in the puppy's life. The co-effort may be exactly what the puppy needs to survive. Good luck and best wishes.

Dexster you are facing a real challange and I wish you all the luck in the world. I had a kennel for a few years and I would recommend you find a vet you trust if you can't find a female dog with new puppies which would be the perfect answer. Most new mommas will adopt another if you introduce the puppy to her and stay with her for the first feeding and watch her reaction to your puppy. Otherwise get puppy replacer from a vet as the puppy needs to eat every two hours 24 hours a day. Feed it slowly from a bottle with a small hole so it doesn't get the puppy replacer too fast or it will go into its' lungs. At that age it is so important it be fed on time; feed it only until you start to see the little tummy fill out some. It should not be hard or swollen by any means. Remember to wipe the puppies behind with a paper towel every time you feed it this encourages it to have a bowl movement, this is why the mother licks their bottoms. Wipe gently until they pee. This may sound strange but it is very very important believe me. Keep it warm around 80 degrees at all times. A heat lamp off to the side of the puppy works well do not put it directly above it as it needs someplace to go if it gets too warm. Again the best answer is to find another female with new puppies. Good luck. Let us know how you and your puppy fare.

I think you should buy puppy replacement milk at a pet store or from the vet. If your puppy gets diarrhea add more water to the replacement milk. I would feed him every 5 hours day & night for 3 weeks. At every meal you have to stimulate so he urinates and empties his bowels. Use an old facecloth or kleenex to rub both parts. They say not to use dairy milk. I would use milk but not the 2%, 1% or skilm if you cannot get to the pet store. This is how I saved my kitten about 10 years ago and I still have her. Hope this helps.

Sylvie

Sorry I forgot to tell you how I was feeding my kitten; there was a bottle with the milk replacement kit. At the beginning I was giving 1/2 the bottle. After a couple of days I was giving her a full bottle. At 3 weeks old I started mixing the milk replacement with a teaspoon of can of kitten food. You it would be a can of puppy food. Then you will see he will be able to eat just from the can. At that stage you could feed him 4-5 times a day but not more than one small can a day. No more nightshift.

Sylvie

Please take your new fur baby to the Veterinarian and he.she can instruct you on how to care for your baby.

Anonymous

I would offer several times a day. At least 5-6 times...