Cooking TipsFood Tips

Cooking a Large Amount of Rice

Category Cooking Tips

What is the proper way of cooking a larger amount of rice maybe 15-20 kilograms, so that it will be completely cooked yet not sticky?

By manish

I cook four cups uncooked rice to eight cups water in my big pot. I simmer it for about five minutes covered then let it set another thirty minutes. I freeze smaller portions of it for future meals.

The best way for a home environment is to cook it in batches with a rice cooker. 15-20kg will take you all day though.

If you have a large enough container, cooking 15 kg of rice should be no different than cooking 5 cups of rice. It's all about boiling the water and allowing the rice to absorb the water as the starches are converted. The majority of time will be used to bring such a large quantity of water to a boil. To speed things up, you can boil half the water in the large container with the rice while also boiling water in batches using an induction stovetop, the quickest way to boil water. Pour the boiling water into the large rice container then proceed to boil another batch.

Soaking and washing any rice will get rid some of the starch, making it less sticky. Using parboiled rice, the most popular form of rice in the US, also helps. Much of the sticky starch has already been steamed off. Be aware, however, that the taste is a bit nuttier than white rice because part of the bran has been steam blasted into the rice.

Please note that I am speaking theoretically and not from experience since I can't imagine ever cooking that much rice -- not even at a Chinese restaurant. Try calling Uncle Ben or Carolina for some advice.

@Lilac wrote: "I cook four cups uncooked rice to eight cups water in my big pot."

Unfortunately, s/he needs 15-20 kg of rice, which translates to 33-44 lbs. Cooking 4 cups of rice each batch will take forever! :)