Strong Paint Odors

How do I get rid of paint smell? I have bedroom that was painted with miller paint. It was 3 weeks ago and still has an odor and was water based. I have tried an Odor Genie with an open window and a fan - it is better but still quite noticeable. The rest of interior was done in Behr - no odor from day one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
CJ from Camas, WA

I know that we sometimes use"Natural magic, odor absorber", lasts 90 days(White plastic tub with green vented lid). These work really well. I buy alot of flea market/church sale items that sometimes smell like "basement". This does the trick...now if only I could make it myself and save lots of money!

In reply: these can be purchased at a pharmacy, a large supermarket or maybe a hardware store(if they know about quality:-)

There's really only two ways to clean up the air, The fastest & the very best way is to rent an OZONE GENERATOR. (ozone machine). We had a fire in our home & the only thing that would remove the nasty charred fire smell was the industrial Ozone machine the pros brought in the next day. What a difference it made! We had to run it for 24 hours & not be in that room when it was running. AMAZING is all I can say! Truly AMAZING!

The only other way to get rid of the smell is to open your windows & wait... as long as it takes. Keep small children & animals out of the room in the mean time, especially ones with asthma & allergies. The smell may be nasty, & they aren't good for you either! Did you accidentally use an oil based paint? If so, that will take even longer to dissipate.

---> To rent Ozone Generators, either call up a rental store or look in your yellow pages under "Fire"... there you'll find companies that specialize in cleaning up homes after fires. They all have Ozone Generators for rent.

*** You may have a friend that has an ozone type of air cleaner that you could borrow. There are a lot of people that sell these "Ozone" air purifiers (about $400) & they will all let you try them for 30 days... this is also an option. The smaller Ozone machines may take a few days to work, while the industrial ones only take one day. Just put it in your room & shut the door. The smaller ones are okay to stay in while running. Turn off the industrial ones before using the room.

*** Any "Odor nutrilizers" will just mask the smell... Beware, products like Fabrize are bad for pets!

---> You can also try putting scattering 4 or 5 bowls filled with white vinegar around the room. Change to new vinegar daily. Vinegar will remove nearly any smell. When possible, leave the windows open all they way & block cold air from comming in the rest of the house with a few towels stuffed under the door. I'd do this for 2 or 3 days, & if this does not work, try the ozone machine & it will work!

* The "Queen of Clean" on DIY recomends Vinegar for removing all odors in the home.

I have read that adding a tbsp of vanilla extract to your paint will stop odors. Hope this helps

I used a product called BON-CC-41 from BioWorld Products the last time I had my house painted. It works great. I had the painter add a little to paint. I came home that day and only smelt a very faint paint smell. By the next day, it was gone completely! I even slept in the same room that was painted the day before and didn't have any problems. In the past, I would have the paint smell linger for as long as a month. It was very nice not having to live with the headache of the paint fumes!

http://www.adbio.com/odor/uses/odor-control-paint-2.htm

December 1, 2011 Flag

I just had the doors painted with QDE enamel paint; the odor is so strong. I like the color but to get rid of the smell is my problem now. Can you help? Thanks.

By Fely C.A. from Manila, Philippines

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

lemons cut up vinegar and salt and water

A woman painting a room blue.
Removing Paint Odors
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsApril 17, 2007
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
Old Paint Can
Disposing of Old Paint
🎄