Repairing a Wall That Feels Soft

My boyfriend and I just bought a house a little over a year ago and I just realized today that in the guest bedroom the paint is bubbling. The wall is soft to the touch around it. What do I need to do to fix this?

By Cassie from Kansas City, MO

Anonymous

This sounds like a water problem. It could be leaking at a window or door, or could be a roof problem with water running inside the wall. This is a perfect breeding ground for mold and termites. First you must find and fix the source of the leak, then you must remove the drywall so you can check out the wood structure, replacing any rotted wood and removing any mold. If you can't handle the job yourself, my advice is to call in a professional. This is a problem that must be fixed before it gets worse. Good luck.

It sounds to me like it could possibly be termites. If you see on the floor what looks like sand around the base boards then you need to check it out.

I agree that it sounds like a water leak somewhere. Around the chimney flashing if a good place to check. Loose shingles? Better check it out really well, before u get bugs, mold etc.

I am also thinking water leak. Is this bedroom next to a bathroom? You could be getting leaks through the wall from the shower enclosure. The most common reason for drywall to go soft is because it has absorbed water from someplace.

To fix this, you need to find the source of the water leak, and get that stopped. Then, you deal with this wall. The drywall will have to be removed, and maybe even the studs in the wall, if they are rotten. Wood takes time to rot, however, and it may just need to be dried out. There may be mold in the wall, and that will need to be removed. I see them doing it with steam cleaners on TV, but I would call in a professional for this sort of job.