FleasPets

Safe Powder That Dries Up Fleas

Category Fleas

Does anyone know of a completely safe powder that can be used directly on a pet to remove water from the fleas' bodies in all parts of their life cycle? And is there a completely safe shampoo that would do the same thing? I want to put it on, leave it a few minutes, and thoroughly wash it off. Thank you.

Louise

I don't know of a safe powder. I do know that the Original Dawn dish liquid is 97 cents at WalMart and will kill fleas on dogs almost instantly. It is used to clean wildlife after an oil spill so you know its safe.

Anonymous

I haven't used it on my pets, but I'm fairly certain Diatomaceous Earth can be safely used on pets to kill fleas. It can be found in the garden section of any home-improvement store, (well, in the spring and summer it can). Google it just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure it can be powdered on the pet, and/or a small amount of food-grade DE in the pet's food weekly.

Diamateous Earth should NOT be put directly on cats. Sprinkled on carpets and furniture and then vacuumed off.

To remove fleas from a cat's body, comb through its fur with a FLEA COMB.

The only sure way to get fleas off of your indoor house cat is to VACUUM your home every day.

http://www.scie  071217111010.htm

Any liquid shampoo or detergent will kill fleas. I was told by my vet to use any and be sure to suds it well for at least 10 minutes and rinse.

The plain ol' Dial Soap kills fleas instantly on dogs and cats. Be sure to follow this with a dilute of fabric softener... regular strength mixed 1/8C in a quart of warm water... this helps stop the dry skin that dial can cause.

Be sure to also wash all the pet bedding and sprinkle salt on your carpets before vacuuming.

The first time to use the salt... spread it thick and leave it sit about two hours then vacuum.

After that all you need is about a 1/4 cup in your vacuum bag/container each time you Vacuum until you find no more fleas.

I did this myself and in less than a week I was rid of the fleas in three cats, two dogs and a rat.....yeah.. you can bathe a rat... they love to swim!

Good luck!

I tried shampoo, dawn, dips, etc, but the fleas always came back with a vengeance. I also always left the products on as long as advice said to.

I can attest that FOOD-GRADE diatomaceous earth (DE) works wonders! I had ordered some off the internet, but my hubby only used it a couple of times (and sparingly). Didn't seem to work. When I went to our local Farm Store looking for something better, the owner told me there is NOTHING better (and he could have sold me anything!). He told me to dust my dog several times a week and see what happened.

I put on gloves (the powder is very drying), took my dog out to the deck and onto a chair. I had the DE in a large salt shaker, sprinkled it lightly and rubbed it all over his fur, down to the skin. (I started with the neck.) He loved the rubbing (after the 2nd time!). I did this Monday, Wed and Friday the first week; Monday and Wed the 2nd week, and all fleas are gone. It is not an instant kill since the fleas have to "walk" through it. It cuts their exoskeleton and they dry up.

It has been over 6 weeks since I treated Buddy and there is still not a flea anywhere. He has had baths, too, and I've not had to reapply the DE. This is safe for use on any animal (even cats) AS LONG AS IT IS FOOD-GRADE; NOT THE KIND YOU USE FOR POOL FILTERS! Many humans take food grade DE as a supplement since it contains 16 or so trace minerals.

DE is very light in weight and a little goes a long way! I bought several pounds without knowing about this and have lots of extra!

If you Google "Food grade diatomaceous earth fleas," you'll learn lots!

Good luck. By the way, a sprinkling (lightly) on fire ant mounds in North Florida killed the ants. They didn't just move on, they died!

Great ideas, folks :o) Another safe powder to use is Sevin Dust, 5% solution. You can put it right on your dog, on the floor and behind furniture. Read the label for complete details.