Marble and Travertine Cleaning Recipe

To clean marble and travertine, use Dawn liquid dish-washing detergent as a general cleaner. To remove stains, make a paste of 1 Tbsp. cornstarch and 1 tsp. of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Cover the stain and allow paste sit for about an hour. Remove the dried paste, rinse with clear water and buff dry. To make marble and travertine shine, buff with dry cornstarch and a soft, clean cloth. Never use products like Lime Away, ammonia, lemon juice, vinegar, bleach, or Windex on these surfaces as they will dull their shine over time.

Source: Everyday Cheapskate

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Anything acidic, like Lime Away, vinegar, lemon juice, will dissolve the marble, not quickly, mind you, but over time. This is why it dulls the shine.

July 16, 2010 Flag

I have marble and granite floors in my foyer. I am looking for a homemade cleaning solution. Does anyone know what to use? Also, what about cleaning travertine?

Sonya from Georgia

Marble and Granite Tile Cleaning Recipe

I knew someone a few years ago who complained that she had to have her marble kitchen floors professionally re-done every few months - and if she knew that when she built the house, the flooring would have been something else. (01/11/2006)

By cookwie

Marble and Granite Tile Cleaning Recipe

I use warm water and a teflon-pan-type scrubby. Then push a dry towel around my granite and hardwood floor. Good mats outside and in catch most of the dirt. (01/11/2006)

By Vicka

Marble and Granite Tile Cleaning Recipe

Hi,You could check out tile and stone specialty stores thru the yellow pages or go to Stone Care International webb page @ you could call 1-800-839-1654. (01/11/2006)

By Dean from Maine.

Marble and Granite Tile Cleaning Recipe

I use Stonecare products. I have also tried clorox wipes for kitchen. The problem is that it looses its luster and eventually can fade the granite, so I went back to Stonecare. Its 8.45 per quart, when purchased by the gallon. YOU spent the money getting granite, why not keep it beautiful?

Good luck! (02/22/2006)

By Angela from PA

granite tile cleaning

Just got granite tile installed for my dining room (black galaxy from India) very difficult to understand when cleaning. I purchased couple of products from home depot. sprays, liquids. and finally a granite polish. the polish now does not come off. i followed instructions, (mind you, I'm on my hands and knees) and going in circular motions, i decided to drop a spray of water and do it again and the shine finally came through. my question is, what gadget can i use so i don't have to be on my hands and knees. feel like the Flintstones. please help( (02/28/2006)

By myrna

Marble and Granite Tile Cleaning Recipe

Read this page:

It will tell you what you need to know.

Good luck. (05/30/2006)

By Shegan

Marble and Granite Tile Cleaning Recipe

Murphy's Oil Soap is wonderful on anything stone. It's easy as you can apply with a mop. Personally I wouldn't use it on a marble slab used for candy making but for anything else it's a great product. Sometimes products we have used for years turn out to be just as good, if not better for new fangled home improvements we have invested in. (05/29/2009)

By suzyspinkmoon

Cleaning Marble
Cleaning Marble
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Kitchen CleanersJuly 16, 2010
Marble Countertop
Repairing a Burn Mark on a Marble Countertop
Cultured Marble
Finishing the Edge of a Cultured Marble Countertop
A marble spa tub and floor in a beautiful bathroom.
Cleaning a Marble Floor
Closeup of pink marble slab.
Removing Stains from Marble